Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #1

New Radio or not?

Thinking about replacing the factory stereo. I have already installed a RF punch 300 amp and polk 6" speakers. Huge improvement , but I still get distortion too early on tne base? I am thinking a cleaner primary signal might help? Any thoughts , recommendations on receivers?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #2

Which Polk speakers did you get, are they components? Are you being unrealistic about the expected bass output from such small, non-subwoofer speakers? A good set of 6.5" components powered and tuned correctly can produce very "warm" output, but not bass as such...if your stock stereo was sending a distorted signal to your amp, it wouldn't be frequency specific, you'd be clipping all over the place. The only bike systems I've heard that play truly loud and extremely clear, but still not hitting sub 80hz notes, were using Focal or Arc Audio - the type of equipment used in IASCA SQ systems...your expectation from mid level "consumer grade" equipment may be a bit lofty.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 02-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Thnx broke,

I think my expectations are realistic (not really high). And why I asked the question. You are right the Polk 6m are not going to vibrate my heart for sure. At highway speeds the highs and vocals a crystal clear and enjoyable. At 50 mph and slower I would like a little more base and maybe a new receiver will not help that. Again, that's why I ask guys like you, who know way better than me. My other motivation would be to get a direct bluetooth connection. Currently song information does not display on the radio when streaming music on my android.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 02-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #4

For background, I was a professional installer for years and have kept up with it pretty well since...for reference, I set the HPF on a set of 6.5" components @ 80hz, essentially blocking out everything a typical person would characterize as "bass", leaving all that for an actual subwoofer. While it might seem counterintuitive, setting up such a HPF will allow your speakers to play more of what they CAN reproduce, which may satisfy your need for more bass, just not sub-bass, as well as cure the distortion problems you're having. If your RF amp has no built-in HPF, a new stereo surely would so that might be all the motivation you need to buy one and get your BlueTooth upgrade to boot!
- V&H slip-ons
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 02-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #5

Same distortion for me too. But I will not cut my bags for a sub. Just can't do it.

Thanks Brokeass, I will be getting the same amp as Floatme has. Good information if I can figure out how to set the amp at 80 HZ. My last amp crapped out ( DS Candy 18 Micro) , so I need a reasonably priced amp. Will the Punch Amp be able to be set the way you described? My last amp only had gain no other adjustments.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #6

Assuming this is the model you're both referencing, yes, it has a 12dB/Octave Butterworth crossover built-in:

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...ails/pbr300x2/
- V&H slip-ons
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 02-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
Advanced Member

The amp you are mentioning is 2 ohm stable and recommend getting 2 ohm speakers to get better performance.

Rated Power
(RMS Continuous Power)100 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohm
150 Watts x 2 @ 2-Ohm
300 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohm Bridged

Old 02-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Advanced Member

But does it have NOS or a supercharger with it?

A million years ago when I was a teenager it was much simpler and I a could make a stereo system rock. Now days I'm like "DO WHAT?!"

12dB/Octave Butterworth crossover,,,,,,,, sounds like something from the '80's Star Trek movies. Beam me up Scotty.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 02-16-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
The amp you are mentioning is 2 ohm stable and recommend getting 2 ohm speakers to get better performance.

Rated Power
(RMS Continuous Power)100 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohm
150 Watts x 2 @ 2-Ohm
300 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohm Bridged
Yes, lower impedance will tease out more wattage, but at a cost of increased THD. I'd rather run at 4ohms and select speakers with a higher sensitivity rating (91db @ 1w @ 1m or greater) than turn my amp into a space heater. I suppose that is why so many Harley riders choose Hertz speakers, they have very high sensitivity ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
Now days I'm like "DO WHAT?!"

12dB/Octave Butterworth crossover,,,,,,,, sounds like something from the '80's Star Trek movies. Beam me up Scotty.
Haha, indeed...put in the simplest of terms, octaves are Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti and Do...essentially eight divisions of the audible range of the human ear, or roughly 20-20,000Hz. A crossover that cuts off frequencies above or below a selected frequency will create a 12db slope, meaning each octave above or below the selection will be 12db quieter than the one before it. Decibels are exponential in nature, so a crossover with a 12db slope is quite effective.
- V&H slip-ons
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 02-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeAss View Post
Yes, lower impedance will tease out more wattage, but at a cost of increased THD. I'd rather run at 4ohms and select speakers with a higher sensitivity rating (91db @ 1w @ 1m or greater) than turn my amp into a space heater. I suppose that is why so many Harley riders choose Hertz speakers, they have very high sensitivity ratings.

Haha, indeed...put in the simplest of terms, octaves are Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti and Do...essentially eight divisions of the audible range of the human ear, or roughly 20-20,000Hz. A crossover that cuts off frequencies above or below a selected frequency will create a 12db slope, meaning each octave above or below the selection will be 12db quieter than the one before it. Decibels are exponential in nature, so a crossover with a 12db slope is quite effective.
🤯

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk