In Association with VBA Web : Memorial | Merchandise

Important Info : Please Read!
If this is your first visit to our new forum (est. 9.20.11) and you're already registered on the old forum, you'll have to request a new password in order to log in here. To do so, please Click Here and fill in the proper info. You must use the email address that you originally registered with on the old forum. You will then be emailed a new password (if you don't see it, please check your spam/junk folder). If you have any problems at all, please email us at mail@VulcanBagger.com. Thanks!

Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic > Lighter Side/Jokes
Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Survey Results

Two magazines, Country Living (95.99% white readership) and Ebony /Jet (99.99% black readership) did surveys on....
"WHAT DO PEOPLE FEAR MOST?" The results were interesting, to say the least...

Country Living magazine's top three answers were:
1. Nuclear war/terrorist attack in U.S
2. Child/spouse dying
3. Terminal illness

Ebony / Jet magazine's top three answers were:
1. Ghosts
2. Dogs
3. Registered mail

No Kidding... And these are the people who put Obama over the top.

AND TO GO ALONG WITH ALL OF THIS, I'LL SHARE TWO QUOTES; ONE PITIFUL AND ONE GREAT!

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me, as we try to change it."
-- Barack Obama

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"
Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Survey Results

Yep that is so true. Where are our heroes when we need them like John Wayne, Randolph Scott and Jimmy Stewart? No great actors left and we sure don't have any great presidents like Truman, Eisenhower and Reagan.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181
Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #3

Survey Results

I found this hard to believe so I googled it:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/people-fe...t-survey.shtml

"What Do People Fear Most?" - Magazine Survey Email Hoax
Summary:
Email claims that a survey conducted by two magazines, one with predominantly white readership and the other with predominantly black readership, collected very different results for the question 'What Do People Fear Most?' (Full commentary below).

False

Example:(Submitted, April 2008)
Subject: FW: "!" Three Thing's That Scare People "!"

Magazine Survey:

Two magazines, did a survey on 'What Do People Fear Most?' The results were interesting, to say the least.

The top three answers for Country Living Magazine's readership (99.99% white) were:

1. Nuclear war/terrorist attack in U.S.
2. Child/spouse dying of terminal illness.
3. Self dying of terminal illness.

The top three answers for EBONY/Jet Magazine's readership (99.99% black) were:

1. Ghosts.
2. Dogs.
3. Registered mail.

Commentary:
According to this message, two magazines, Country Living and Ebony/Jet conducted a survey among their readers on the subject "What Do People Fear Most?".

The message claims that the top three answers from the predominantly white Country Living readers were:

It further claims that the top three answers from the predominantly black Ebony/Jet readers were:

1. Ghosts.
2. Dogs.
3. Registered mail.

However, there is no evidence that any of the publications mentioned in the message have ever conducted such a survey. Moreover, although they are published by the same organization and share a website, Ebony and Jet are in fact separate magazines not one as implied in the message.©iStockphoto.com/Jennifer Trenchard

Bogus magazine "survey" perpetrates unfair and unrealistic racial stereotypes
And, in any case, it seems very improbable that magazines with such diverse areas of interest and readership would launch an identical survey during the same time period.

The bogus "results" of the supposed surveys perpetrate unjust and outdated racial stereotypes. The implication is that the black responders are motivated largely by foolish superstition while the "superior" white readership is concerned about more important issues. This idea is seemingly a throwback to earlier times in which black characters in books and films were often unfairly portrayed as shallow, overly superstitious, comedic figures as opposed to more intelligent and capable white characters. The rather bizarre reference to "registered mail" is probably intended as a racial slur that suggests black people are more likely to receive unwelcome letters such as summonses, overdue payment demands and the like via registered post than are their white counterparts.

As well as circulating via email, the message has found its way onto a number of online forums and blogs. Of concern is the number of commentators who apparently take the "survey results" at face value and do not even question their validity. It seems apparent that these totally unrealistic race-based generalizations are still entrenched, perhaps subconsciously, within the world view of many individuals.

This message is nothing more than a tasteless attempt at humour by some obnoxious racist. Racist nonsense such as this is in no way funny and perpetrating it is divisive and harmful.

References:
Ebonyjet.com
Country Living

Last updated: 16th May 2008
First published: 23rd April 2008

Write-up by Brett M. Christensen

Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #4

Survey Results

Summary:
Email claims that a survey conducted by two magazines, one with predominantly white readership and the other with predominantly black readership, collected very different results for the question 'What Do People Fear Most?' (Full commentary below).

False

Magazine Survey:

Two magazines, did a survey on 'What Do People Fear Most?' The results were interesting, to say the least.

The top three answers for Country Living Magazine's readership (99.99% white) were:

1. Ghosts.
2. Dogs.
3. Registered mail.

Commentary:
According to this message, two magazines, Country Living and Ebony/Jet conducted a survey among their readers on the subject "What Do People Fear Most?".

The message claims that the top three answers from the predominantly white Country Living readers were:

It further claims that the top three answers from the predominantly black Ebony/Jet readers were:

1. Ghosts.
2. Dogs.
3. Registered mail.

However, there is no evidence that any of the publications mentioned in the message have ever conducted such a survey. Moreover, although they are published by the same organization and share a website, Ebony and Jet are in fact separate magazines not one as implied in the message.©iStockphoto.com/Jennifer Trenchard

And, in any case, it seems very improbable that magazines with such diverse areas of interest and readership would launch an identical survey during the same time period.

The bogus "results" of the supposed surveys perpetrate unjust and outdated racial stereotypes. The implication is that the black responders are motivated largely by foolish superstition while the "superior" white readership is concerned about more important issues. This idea is seemingly a throwback to earlier times in which black characters in books and films were often unfairly portrayed as shallow, overly superstitious, comedic figures as opposed to more intelligent and capable white characters. The rather bizarre reference to "registered mail" is probably intended as a racial slur that suggests black people are more likely to receive unwelcome letters such as summonses, overdue payment demands and the like via registered post than are their white counterparts.

As well as circulating via email, the message has found its way onto a number of online forums and blogs. Of concern is the number of commentators who apparently take the "survey results" at face value and do not even question their validity. It seems apparent that these totally unrealistic race-based generalizations are still entrenched, perhaps subconsciously, within the world view of many individuals.

This message is nothing more than a tasteless attempt at humour by some obnoxious racist. Racist nonsense such as this is in no way funny and perpetrating it is divisive and harmful.

References:
Ebonyjet.com
Country Living

Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #5

Survey Results

Summary:

False

Magazine Survey:

1. Ghosts.
2. Dogs.
3. Registered mail.

Commentary:

1. Ghosts.
2. Dogs.
3. Registered mail.

References:
Ebonyjet.com
Country Living

Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Survey Results

Now I don't know what to believe. Guess I will have to make up my own mind.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181
Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Survey Results

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181
Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Survey Results

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #9

Survey Results

It's too bad the internet can be used for things like that.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #10

Survey Results

Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #11

Survey Results

Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Survey Results

I checked Snopes and it said it was false too.

I would usually believe that; but both hoax-slayer and Snopes belabor the issue by a somewhat denegrating rant of white people and their racist views... neither had to preach to give a True or False report....

The reason some people laugh and some don't is that some understand the off-handed humor and some don't.

If there weren't an ounce of truth in any off handed joke nobody would laugh at it.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Survey Results

I would usually believe that; but both hoax-slayer and Snopes belabor the issue by a somewhat denegrating rant of white people and their racist views... neither had to preach to give a True or False report....

The reason some people laugh and some don't is that some understand the off-handed humor and some don't.

If there weren't an ounce of truth in any off handed joke nobody would laugh at it.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Survey Results

Member # 0005
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #15

Survey Results

the scary thing is so many believe that kind of crap. it can start trouble, bad feelings etc. I personally don't care for those kind of postings, but it's a free country....that's why I'm sitting here in Iraq tonight, to keep it that way.

vin