Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 09-28-2018, 01:37 AM   #1

Heading out tomorrow

Our first longer ride this season. 10 days riding, focus on the middle of the South Island, where spring should be in full bloom, high-country lupins , riding some of the few remaining roads we've not ridden over the last few years.

Day one: New Plymouth to Wellington. Boring, done it too many times, like any other road that's close to home, know every pothole. Longest day of the trip - stay at my sister Lou's in our capital city for a few days.

Day two: Ferry to Picton, then over to the west coast. Staying at Westport for the night.

Day three: Check out the historic mining area of Denniston, then down the west coastline to Franz Josef. We'll take a look out at the wetlands in Okarito on the way.

Day four: Travel on south and through the Haast pass to Queenstown for the night.

Day five: Take a look around the lake to Glenorchy, then back through Queenstown, up through the Lindis Pass & over the Benmore & Aviemore Dams, spend a night in Otematata, at the pub.

Day six: North to Mount Cook Village, catch up with a friend working there, on through Tekapo to Methven for the night.

Day seven: Another pass - Arthur's - arguably the most scenic of them, and once over, we'll cut away around Lake Brunner and through Blackball - for roads less traveled. Overnight in Reefton.

Day eight: Lewis Pass back over to the east coast, short day, so we may take a dip in the hot pools in Hamner Springs en-route. Heading for Kaikoura, where lobster is probably on the menu that evening.

Day nine: We're booked to go out on a whale-watching cruise in the morning, then it's a short day's ride in the afternoon back to Picton to catch the late ferry. Stop at Lou's again, one night this time.

Day ten: The run back home to New Plymouth. Depending on the weather that'll be via the usual most direct route - or over the Rimutaka Hill and up the middle.

Weather can be changeable in springtime, so I've planned for days of mostly between around four hours. That way, if it rains, we can seek shelter in cafe's, or travel early or late to avoid the worst of it. On the upside - there'll still be quite a lot of snow on the mountains - and springtime can be very scenic in that part of the country.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Map.JPG (66.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Mt Cook.JPG (86.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Church of the Good Shepherd.jpg (96.5 KB, 15 views)

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Peg; 09-28-2018 at 01:40 AM.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #2

I google map New Zealand. Then Dropped down on a few roads. Beautiful landscape to ride thru.

That should be a awesome trip, Be safe.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 09-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I watch A Brit A Blonde A Bike on YouTube so I have a good idea what the South Island looks like around Wanaka where they live. Very nice scenery. Enjoy your trip.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

Have a Great Relaxing Ride

Beautiful Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Our first longer ride this season. 10 days riding, focus on the middle of the South Island, where spring should be in full bloom, high-country lupins , riding some of the few remaining roads we've not ridden over the last few years.

Day one: New Plymouth to Wellington. Boring, done it too many times, like any other road that's close to home, know every pothole. Longest day of the trip - stay at my sister Lou's in our capital city for a few days.

Day two: Ferry to Picton, then over to the west coast. Staying at Westport for the night.

Day three: Check out the historic mining area of Denniston, then down the west coastline to Franz Josef. We'll take a look out at the wetlands in Okarito on the way.

Day four: Travel on south and through the Haast pass to Queenstown for the night.

Day five: Take a look around the lake to Glenorchy, then back through Queenstown, up through the Lindis Pass & over the Benmore & Aviemore Dams, spend a night in Otematata, at the pub.

Day six: North to Mount Cook Village, catch up with a friend working there, on through Tekapo to Methven for the night.

Day seven: Another pass - Arthur's - arguably the most scenic of them, and once over, we'll cut away around Lake Brunner and through Blackball - for roads less traveled. Overnight in Reefton.

Day eight: Lewis Pass back over to the east coast, short day, so we may take a dip in the hot pools in Hamner Springs en-route. Heading for Kaikoura, where lobster is probably on the menu that evening.

Day nine: We're booked to go out on a whale-watching cruise in the morning, then it's a short day's ride in the afternoon back to Picton to catch the late ferry. Stop at Lou's again, one night this time.

Day ten: The run back home to New Plymouth. Depending on the weather that'll be via the usual most direct route - or over the Rimutaka Hill and up the middle.

Weather can be changeable in springtime, so I've planned for days of mostly between around four hours. That way, if it rains, we can seek shelter in cafe's, or travel early or late to avoid the worst of it. On the upside - there'll still be quite a lot of snow on the mountains - and springtime can be very scenic in that part of the country.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

I'm jealous of the ride you have planned. New Zealand and Australia are on my bucket list. unfortunately I won't be riding when we do it. Ride safely and enjoy that beautiful country!
2011 Rally in the Redwoods, CA
2013 National, Estes Park, CO
2013 SE Regional, Blairsville, GA
2014 NW Regional, Orifino, ID
2014 NC/SC Regional in the Ozarks, AR
2016 NC Regional, Hillsboro, WI
2016 E. Canada/NE Regional, Quebec
2017 National, Lake George, NY
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #6

Sounds like a great trip...........enjoy.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #7

Sounds like an awesome trip Peg, have a safe ride

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 10-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Hi Peg, have a wonderful trip in your beautiful Country and drive safely, my friend.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:57 AM   #9

End of day 6... and it's been excellent so far. One day's rain (#4 in to Q.town), but fine weather the rest of the time. Little problem yesterday, when I found a near-flat rear tire in the morning. Picked up a long staple somewhere on day 4. We found a replacement tire an hour away in Alexandra, crossed fingers and rode off there... The dealer there let me borrow tools and his lift to roll the wheel out for him. His techs were busy with booked work, and I'd rather do the simple stuff myself anyway - so big thumbs-up to Davidson Honda in Alexandra.

On back towards the east coast again tomorrow, Arthurs pass is probably my favorite of them.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #10

Excellent that they worked with you Peg! Glad the tire didn't delay you too much!
Enjoy, ride safe!
I am a little green with envy!

Old 06-20-2022, 10:52 AM   #11

Your journey has been incredible. Man, you described it so interesting that I even decided to reread it again to feel those emotions. I think you might enjoy traveling by train along the high hills or the coast. Such journeys take your time but allow you to enjoy every corner of the country you visit. One of the biggest advantages is also the low cost of such trips. So if you are a student, it is not a bad option to see the world and save money simultaneously. To find the best ticket, dbfahrplan.com can help you. I often choose this mode of transport for the opportunity to see everything at once.

Last edited by izarnebatter; 06-21-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:20 AM   #12

beautiful country. enjoy

Old 09-22-2022, 04:08 AM   #13

td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}[FONT=Arial][I]I like your plan for the trip. I am going to repeat it! But first I want to go to Spain for Andalusia dovolen

Last edited by algirdascommodity1; 09-29-2022 at 05:57 AM.