Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-14-2022, 05:55 PM   #1

Question Ivan's reflash ECU

I have had 2 reflashes from Ivan and been pretty happy. Only problem I have had is after winter sitting and starting up again in the spring the initial start is very hard to get started. Prior to the flash it always started first time, ran on high idle and then settled down and was fine starting every time after that. Now in the spring for the past 2 years it is a bear to start. Lots of backfiring and hard to start and keep running upon the first start after it does its thing when you turn the key on. Have to hold the throttle to keep it running and it stalls a couple of times until it settles down. After the first start of the season the bike starts perfectly every time after. There seems to be some low speed surging now that never happened before as well. Anyone experiencing the first start problems after being laid up over the winter. The bike is always put away with fresh gas with stabilizer. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thought I would ask before I give Ivan a call. Thanks in advance

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Never had an issue starting my reflashed 1300 Yamaha after winter lay up.
I don't think your issues are related the ECU.
Do you put the bike away for the winter with non ethanol Shell fuel ?

Old 08-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #3

Never have used non ethanol. Can't get it here now. Husky was the only one that had it here and discontinued it's use. Thought the stabilizer would do the trick. Just googled if there is any non ethanol gas sold in Manitoba and it comes up saying only 2 provinces in Canada have mandated to not sell non ethanol gas and they are BC and mine. Thanks for the input redjay.

Last edited by ballbreaker; 08-14-2022 at 09:25 PM.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:28 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
Never have used non ethanol. Can't get it here now. Husky was the only one that had it here and discontinued it's use. Thought the stabilizer would do the trick. Just googled if there is any non ethanol gas sold in Manitoba and it comes up saying only 2 provinces in Canada have mandated to not sell non ethanol gas and they are BC and mine. Thanks for the input redjay.
We can get Shell non ethanol here in Ontario. The last couple of fill ups before winter storage I fill up with non ethanol.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #5

I have always used premium gas and a good stabilizer and never had any problems until the past two years on my 2015 Vaquero. I have owned this bike for 6 years so I don't know what's happening. I am sure not driving to Ontario or Sask. to pick up gas. LOL If I could pick up a good used stock ECU and try that for an experiment then I might be interested. Its funny this has only started the last 2 years. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2022, 01:49 AM   #6

Premium fuel sold in Canada has NO ethanol added. The trick avoiding any ethanol is to find a station that has dedicated premium hoses. On a personal note I fill up with Petro Can Ultra 93 with half a can of sea foam before parking for the winter.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:54 AM   #7

what is your milage and have you changed the fuel filter? if not that would be 1st on the list and give you a chance to see what kind of separation /build up is in the tank. it may just be accumulating .

Last edited by vulcanscott; 08-15-2022 at 05:57 AM.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #8

It sounds to me like its time to clean the throttle body on your bike. in 44000 klms iv`e done mine twice and each time the start up and idel were significatly improved. also a half bottle of sea foam twice a year at fillups keeps the gremlins away. what version of Ivans flash are you currantly using? this year I updated to the C4B3 flash and I noticed abit more surging and bacfiring than normal so before I store the bike for winter I will clean the throttle body again.also how many klms are on your spark plugs?
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 08-15-2022, 03:05 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. All of our gas stations selling premium fuel all state below on a sticker that there may be up to 10% ethanol added. Check my post #3. I do add half a can of seafoam twice a year usually after the first tank of stabilized gas has been burnt off and then near the end of the season. Last tank before winter is fresh gas with stabilizer. I am not complaining about how my Vaquero runs after the initial first start up. It starts up fine and runs fine for the entire season. It is the first start up after sitting all winter. My bike has 66,500 kms on it with original gas filter and plugs and I get around on average 260-280 kms. per tank. I have had 2 flashes from Ivan. I will look at changing plugs and throttle body cleaning. Thanks for all the info.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:00 PM   #10

Update. Before I put the bike away for the winter I did a really good cleaning of the throttle body and added seafoam as the stabalizer. I have never cleaned the throttle body before. Went to start it up for the season this morning and turned the key on, let it cycle and it fired up immediatly. Obviously it needed cleaning and there was not any issue related to the ECU and or flash. Thanks to all that replied