Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 08-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #1

Who Did I See?

I had a great ride today! I was wondering who I saw southbound on Rt 209, in NY this afternoon on the Red & Black 1700 Nomad? I hope it was a KawaNOW member since it was a great riding day.

I left NEPA around 10-ish and filled up in Honesdale, PA before the journey. Headed on Rt 652 to Narrowsburg, NY and headed south on NY 97. Yup! Went up and over the Hawk's Nest and down into Port Jervis where I stopped for lunch at Arlene & Tom's Diner, home of the world famous Meany Burger.

After lunch, I headed north on Rt 209. This is where I passed the other Nomad going in the opposite direction. Just after going through the town of Ellenville, NY, I took a left onto Rt 55. After a few miles, and an aggravatingly slow cager, I pulled over next to a bridge for a water and butt break.

I took off, still following 55, and after a few miles, I had to detour around some bridge construction and on to Rt 55A. Turns out it was a great detour! I was taken almost all the way around one of the NYC reservoirs. If you never seen one, they're HUGE! And, being in the Catskill Mountains, quite scenic.

I met back up with NY 55 and continued southwest, toward PA. I hit NY Rt 17B in the town of Bethel and decided to take a short detour. I had always wanted to check out the site of this little concert that was held in 1969. Maybe a couple of the older folks here might have heard of it? Woodstock? Had a couple of bands and a small crowd?

The museum that has been built to remember the event is first rate! Very well done! However, eat and drink before you get there. $3 for a bottle of water is outrageous. That is my only gripe. I haven't seen a concert there yet but it looks like it would be a great venue. You can check out the museum and then wander over to the new amphitheater for the show. It does not sit on the site of the original stage.

I wonder how many folks know that this site wasn't considered for the concert until almost the last minute? The organizers wanted to hold it in Woodstock, NY since many artists lived there. There wasn't a suitable site to hold the show in Woodstock, so they settled on the town of Wallkill, NY. After many threats and other problems, they scrapped Wallkill once they received permission from Mr Yasgur (the farmer) and Sullivan County to hold it in Bethel.

I attached a pic of the site monument. If you look past the upper left corner of the monument, you'll see a flat area with some gravel. That was the original stage location. The slope going up and to the right was the crowd "seating" and you can make out the museum at the top of the hill.

After a relaxing and enjoyable couple of hours, I was back on the road. I hopped on Rt 17B, west and turned left onto CR 115, south. It merged with NY 52 which ended at Rt 97 again. I took the right, headed back to Narrowsburg, crossed over the bridge and headed home.

Overall, it was a really great ride on a fantastic day!

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #2

Who Did I See?

Thanks for sharing, this is on my TO DO list for sure..
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 08-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #3

Who Did I See?

Thanks for posting the summary and the monument picture. I remember Woodstock well but I've never been to the site. Very good picture. Have any more?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Who Did I See?

Yasgur's farm...sweet! Please post more pics if you have some.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #5

Who Did I See?

That was cool... ;) Thanks for sharing.

I am old enough to have been around when Woodstock happened... I would like to go to the site myself someday.

A lot of great musicians played at that exact spot; contributing to a major historical event... it had to almost feel like hallowed-ground to some degree.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

Who Did I See?

It sounds like you had a great day riding, I'll have to get out to the Woodstock site oneday. Ive been in that part of NY a few times and have never made it over there.
Thats a neat picture of the plaque for sure.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Who Did I See?

COOL, Groovy The wife and I were in Woodstock this spring but nothing more then just a ride through the town and are planning on getting up there shortly. Hell, Wallkill is only one hour south of Woodstock
I rode along one of the other reservoirs on rt.30 excellent road and scenery. Also want to check another reservoir on rt.10.
I'll have Elaine read your report and she will be ready to go today
Hey Russ, we talked about putting a ride together this year and I think Woodstock area would be great area for our old hippie members and since you know the points of interest of the area you can be our guide
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #8

Who Did I See?

Sounds like you had a great ride. I can tell by your write up that you really enjoyed the trip. Thanks for sharing and for the picture of the monument.

Joe "Griz" Grisolano
2008 Arctic Pearl Honda Goldwing
2008 Black/Red Nomad - Traded September, 2013
VBA #1210
Pittsburg, Kansas

Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Who Did I See?

Thanks, everyone for your gracious comments. I'm sorry to say I only have a couple of other pics and they're variations on the monument. I thought of taking pics of the museum itself but that wasn't the essence of the site. There is no photography or recording allowed in the museum itself, unfortunately.

Fish, I have no problems being a tour guide for a day. I'm surprised you haven't at least been by the site. I know you've traveled down NY 97 and over the Hawk's Nest, which is always fun. The reservoir on NY 10 is nice as well. It's got some cool views.

Fish, give me an idea of when you might like to ride and I'll see what I can come up with. I'll try to make it interesting for everyone. Maybe an idea of where you've been or where you'd like to go would be good. It'd sure help me figure out a good route.

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Who Did I See?

I remember Woodstock well. Didn't make it up but heard all about it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181