Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #1

Chuckster's Dual-Plate Setup - Thoughts

I received Joe Norris' Dual-Plate Intake kit a couple of days ago, and today I finally had a chance to get it out onto the open highway for a test. I bought the bike with the Vance & Hines Dual Baggers already installed. Later I added the Dolbeck TFI P&P unit and today was the final piece.

The installation process went pretty smoothly, even for a klutz like me. An hour later, it was ready to go, sans K&N filter, which arrived just today. A quick visit to Gadget's site provided me with some baseline settings for the TFI to compensate for the additional air (2:30, 6:00, 1:00, 9:00), and after making the settings changes, I was off.

The very first thing I noticed was how much more smooth the throttle was. That alone put a "wow" on my lips as I was headed out of the neighborhood. Seriously, I haven't ridden a bike with such linear throttle response since the '92 Shadow I used to own. I love that!

Once I got out to the main road leading to the highway, I couldn't stop myself after I made the turn, and romped on it - hard throttle in 1st, dropped it into 2nd and twisted as far as it would go. The bike just growled in response and took off. The power wasn't snap-me-back-in-the-seat; it was more of a powerful pull that, before the intake, wasn't there. Before I knew it, I was doing 60 in second gear.

Big-Papa-Grin!

As I began to let off, I remembered that before the intake install, letting off while doing 60+ in a lower gear would result in a few backfires. After the install? Nothing.. just a smooth slowdown. Muuuch better! I was hoping the intake kit would fix that, and it did.

The real test was when I arrived at the pump. Even with the TFI, I've always had to put 93 octane in it to avoid pinging. I stood there for a second, wondering if I should risk a tank of mid-grade. I figured, "what the hell," and filled up on 89, then took it out on the highway.

For the rest of the ride home, about 5 miles, I tried everything I could to get it to ping. Even at 25 mph in 3rd gear, giving it full throttle, I couldn't do it.

Pulling back into the garage, the next thing I noticed was how cool the motor was compared to before the intake was installed. From the "tink, tink, tink"'s that were coming from it, it sounded like I only went around the block, not gave it a good thrashing for six miles.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with this setup. My Nomad runs better than ever. The sound coming from the pipes is deeper and full-throated, it runs 89 octane without pinging (YES!), and got a nice increase in power to boot.

Thank You - to the folks all over this board that make stuff like this possible. Trip, Joe Norris, and everyone else that contributes on this board.

Ya'll rock!

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads