Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #1

Chuckster's Dual-Plate Setup - Thoughts

I received Joe Norris' Dual-Plate Intake kit a couple of days ago, and today I finally had a chance to get it out onto the open highway for a test. I bought the bike with the Vance & Hines Dual Baggers already installed. Later I added the Dolbeck TFI P&P unit and today was the final piece.

The installation process went pretty smoothly, even for a klutz like me. An hour later, it was ready to go, sans K&N filter, which arrived just today. A quick visit to Gadget's site provided me with some baseline settings for the TFI to compensate for the additional air (2:30, 6:00, 1:00, 9:00), and after making the settings changes, I was off.

The very first thing I noticed was how much more smooth the throttle was. That alone put a "wow" on my lips as I was headed out of the neighborhood. Seriously, I haven't ridden a bike with such linear throttle response since the '92 Shadow I used to own. I love that!

Once I got out to the main road leading to the highway, I couldn't stop myself after I made the turn, and romped on it - hard throttle in 1st, dropped it into 2nd and twisted as far as it would go. The bike just growled in response and took off. The power wasn't snap-me-back-in-the-seat; it was more of a powerful pull that, before the intake, wasn't there. Before I knew it, I was doing 60 in second gear.

Big-Papa-Grin!

As I began to let off, I remembered that before the intake install, letting off while doing 60+ in a lower gear would result in a few backfires. After the install? Nothing.. just a smooth slowdown. Muuuch better! I was hoping the intake kit would fix that, and it did.

The real test was when I arrived at the pump. Even with the TFI, I've always had to put 93 octane in it to avoid pinging. I stood there for a second, wondering if I should risk a tank of mid-grade. I figured, "what the hell," and filled up on 89, then took it out on the highway.

For the rest of the ride home, about 5 miles, I tried everything I could to get it to ping. Even at 25 mph in 3rd gear, giving it full throttle, I couldn't do it.

Pulling back into the garage, the next thing I noticed was how cool the motor was compared to before the intake was installed. From the "tink, tink, tink"'s that were coming from it, it sounded like I only went around the block, not gave it a good thrashing for six miles.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with this setup. My Nomad runs better than ever. The sound coming from the pipes is deeper and full-throated, it runs 89 octane without pinging (YES!), and got a nice increase in power to boot.

Thank You - to the folks all over this board that make stuff like this possible. Trip, Joe Norris, and everyone else that contributes on this board.

Ya'll rock!

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #2

Ok, one more question that I think was just answered, but i like redundancy like saving backup files. I like the symmetry that the two bowls gives the bike and I have the "live to ride" aftermarket ones anyway. I want to keep them but i think i want to go with the dual plate setup. I have a K&N filter in the left side now with the Cobra true dual mufflers. I do not have tfi or fuel processor. If I ordered your kit Chuckster, I would want to go ahead and have you supply the K&N filter that goes on the right. What else do I need or do I need anything else? At this point, I haven't worried about installing the coasters, but don't know. Would love the input.

Thanks,
T

Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Top Contributor

With an aftermarket exhaust AND an open intake (single or dual plate is still "open"), you NEED an fuel processor. Even a stock Nomad can get use out of one. These bikes tend to run lean from the factory. The dual plate setup will allow you to keep your dogbowls but the filter will reside in the right side after the mod. You'll need to remove the crossover tube that goes between the cylinders (from the current left side intake to the right side). It's a PITA but not technically difficult to remove it. I have Joes dual plate setup but run it as a single plate with a "V" cover. (The left side is currently bare.) Unless you can source the K&N filters for next to nothing, have Joe supply you with that, too. Beats having to wait on one and/or ending up with the wrong one.

Coasters are also a must. Well, they aren't but they should be. They'll pretty much eliminate the popping you'll get on deceleration with the aftermarket pipes and open intake. As cheap as they are and as easy as the installation is, it would be foolish (in my opinion) to leave these off the shopping list. Literally a 20 minute mod assuming you have to hunt for a wrench like I did.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #4

Talon,
My kits come complete with the K-N filter and everything in one box, so on that note nothing else needed. For the Coaster plates, they are a cosmetic option but I do reccomend them just for the fact of cleaning up the look some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Ok, I like the symmetry that the two bowls gives the bike and I have the "live to ride" aftermarket ones anyway. I want to keep them but i think i want to go with the dual plate setup. I have a K&N filter in the left side now with the Cobra true dual mufflers. I do not have tfi or fuel processor. If I ordered your kit Chuckster, I would want to go ahead and have you supply the K&N filter that goes on the right. What else do I need or do I need anything else? At this point, I haven't worried about installing the coasters, but don't know. Would love the input.

Thanks,
T
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131 View Post
Talon,
My kits come complete with the K-N filter and everything in one box, so on that note nothing else needed. For the Coaster plates, they are a cosmetic option but I do reccomend them just for the fact of cleaning up the look some more.
Another stupid question. So i'm buying Vand H pipes from another member. He sugested I just plug the hose with something and move the oxygen sensor outside the airbox....thoughts? I don't have the extra cash for anthying else right now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

Sorry one last thing. Can I do the pipes and Chucksters dual mod and get away without the fuel proccessor mod for know without doing any damage?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivanurse View Post
Sorry one last thing. Can I do the pipes and Chucksters dual mod and get away without the fuel proccessor mod for know without doing any damage?
Anything's possible but Nomads run lean from the factory. With an open intake and aftermarket exhaust, you'll run VERY lean without a fuel processor. I wouldn't chance it. If you have to, I'd wait to install the intake until you can afford a fuel processor. You can still run the pipes (stock intake) without one.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131 View Post
talon,
my kits come complete with the k-n filter and everything in one box, so on that note nothing else needed. For the coaster plates, they are a cosmetic option but i do reccomend them just for the fact of cleaning up the look some more.
pm sent

THANX

RACNRAY

Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranis View Post
I received Joe Norris' Dual-Plate Intake kit a couple of days ago, and today I finally had a chance to get it out onto the open highway for a test. I bought the bike with the Vance & Hines Dual Baggers already installed. Later I added the Dolbeck TFI P&P unit and today was the final piece.

The installation process went pretty smoothly, even for a klutz like me. An hour later, it was ready to go, sans K&N filter, which arrived just today. A quick visit to Gadget's site provided me with some baseline settings for the TFI to compensate for the additional air (2:30, 6:00, 1:00, 9:00), and after making the settings changes, I was off.

The very first thing I noticed was how much more smooth the throttle was. That alone put a "wow" on my lips as I was headed out of the neighborhood. Seriously, I haven't ridden a bike with such linear throttle response since the '92 Shadow I used to own. I love that!

Once I got out to the main road leading to the highway, I couldn't stop myself after I made the turn, and romped on it - hard throttle in 1st, dropped it into 2nd and twisted as far as it would go. The bike just growled in response and took off. The power wasn't snap-me-back-in-the-seat; it was more of a powerful pull that, before the intake, wasn't there. Before I knew it, I was doing 60 in second gear.

Big-Papa-Grin!

As I began to let off, I remembered that before the intake install, letting off while doing 60+ in a lower gear would result in a few backfires. After the install? Nothing.. just a smooth slowdown. Muuuch better! I was hoping the intake kit would fix that, and it did.

The real test was when I arrived at the pump. Even with the TFI, I've always had to put 93 octane in it to avoid pinging. I stood there for a second, wondering if I should risk a tank of mid-grade. I figured, "what the hell," and filled up on 89, then took it out on the highway.

For the rest of the ride home, about 5 miles, I tried everything I could to get it to ping. Even at 25 mph in 3rd gear, giving it full throttle, I couldn't do it.

Pulling back into the garage, the next thing I noticed was how cool the motor was compared to before the intake was installed. From the "tink, tink, tink"'s that were coming from it, it sounded like I only went around the block, not gave it a good thrashing for six miles.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with this setup. My Nomad runs better than ever. The sound coming from the pipes is deeper and full-throated, it runs 89 octane without pinging (YES!), and got a nice increase in power to boot.

Thank You - to the folks all over this board that make stuff like this possible. Trip, Joe Norris, and everyone else that contributes on this board.

Ya'll rock!
Great report, thanks!
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600

Old 07-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #10

So, to bring this thread back to life, I think I'm going to order the single plate set-up. I'm pretty excited about it. :)

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Top Contributor

You'll be even more excited about it once you get it.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #12

I'm sure I will be!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250

Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Top Contributor

I think Brad (blowndodge) moved his to the fork area and got some good results. Hopefully, he'll chime in on that. I left mine in the intake. I have a V&H Fuel Pak. It's nice but it's difficult to adjust. The general consensus is the Dobeck TFI. It can be had a few places for less than $250.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 07-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #14

I have a Dobeck TFI and it's a cinch to install and it's cheaper than the other processors. I got mine a couple of months ago for $185 including shipping.

You can either do the intake or the exhaust without adding a processor, but you can not do both. You will starve the engine and cause some damage if you add pipes and air intake without the fuel processor.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250

Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #15

Thanks Guys. Any suggestions on where to get a good price on the fuel proccessor?