Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #1

Newbie Questions

1500 Nomad

I thought I was going to get to ride my Nomad tonight, at least to the dealer, but low and behold it would not start. Seems I may not know how to properly turn off the bike. The PO says the bike did not come with an owners manual, so I am in the dark about a bunch of things.

First, is it true that the bikes do not come with an owners manual? I want MOM! Guess I need to by one PDQ.

Second, after I got it started and was about to call it a night, I noticed the tail light was on, without the key being inside. That is probably what happened to my battery. When I pulled the key out I turned it clockwise and pulled out, it took me a while to figure out how to turn the key counter clockwise and get it out with no tail lights on. Why would you want to be able to remove the key and have the tail lights on? Also how do you lock the handlebars.

Third, I removed the seat to install the battery tender and I am not sure that I got it back on right. The screws line up fine, but there does not seem to be anything holding the front of the seat down. Is this correct?

Fourth, I opened up the right side saddlebag, in the dark, and almost could not get it to close.

Lastly, How do you get the left side cover off? I turned the key and pulled but nothing.

I guess it did not help that I was doing these things outside in the dark. I did have a shop light, but it did not help much.

Hope you do not mind all the questions, and thanks in advance.

Michael

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Newbie Questions

I'll answer what I can Michael....

I got a new Nomad from a dealership in Aug. It DEFINATELY came with an owners manual. You might be able to find one on eBay...but usually you can find all you need to know on the Kawasaki website....a .pdf file about your bike.

Not sure about the 1500...but my '07 key is above the handlebar tree... The switch has several positions.. first position clockwise is "ON"... where you can start and ride the bike. The second position is kind of like a hazard lite... according to the manual you can turn on the lights without the engine running. (not sure why you would want to do this...but whatever) The key can be REMOVED in any of these positions...so you don't have keychains or other keys rubbing on your chrome or getting in the way. You can turn the switch to the "OFF" position without the key. Keep in mind, you still have the "ON/OFF" switch on the right handlebar.

As for the saddlebags... again, with my '07, the key needs to be in the "Unlocked" position to both open and close the saddlebag. If the key is in the "Locked" position and I try to close the door, it won't close.

Hope some of this helps... I'm sure if I'm wrong on any of these, I'll be corrected ASAP!! LOL!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #3

Newbie Questions

Third, I removed the seat to install the battery tender and I am not sure that I got it back on right. The screws line up fine, but there does not seem to be anything holding the front of the seat down. Is this correct?

I have a 2007 1600 but I imagine it is the same.
The seat has a plastic prong on it that slips under a raised metal tab in back of the gastank. you have to push down on the front of the seat while at the same time pushing forward to get it to slip under that tab. It sounds like you didn't push it down enough when reinstaling the seat.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Newbie Questions

To remove the left side cover:

Turn the key so that the keyhole is vertical, it should be in line with a white dot.
Next pull outward gently on the rear of the cover. You only want to pull it out about an inch.
Finally, push the cover forward (towards the front of the bike) to release two prongs which seat into rubber grommets. Don't try to just pull the cover straight outward or you may break off the two prongs.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Newbie Questions

Lastly, the left side cover removal: use key to unlock. This should free-up the rear portion. The front is likely held in place by rubber grommets that seat into holes; ie, they basically just "plug in" and the key locks it all in place. So, once you have the key unlocked, finess the front of the sidecover off by force. Emphasis on "finess". If you go to this website and look up the part itself, you'll gain an understanding of what's behind the sidecover and how it goes on/comes off.
http://rongreenesportscenter.com/

Click on Parts Finder, left column
Select category: motorcycle
Select type: Kawasaki
Select Year: ??? (you didn't specify!)
Select Model: 1500

When you get to the parts fishe, click on the drop-down menu to "Side Covers". Bada bing, bada boom.... you're in dare!

Lastly lastly, there should be a key lock on the back side of the front forks to lock your forks. On my 06 Nomad 1600 it's on the right side behind the forks.

Hope this helps... Welcome aboard, and NEVER feel bad about asking questions! We live for this stuff!!!!

Cheers,
Daryl

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Newbie Questions

As to why your battery was dead. Do you have any add-on electronics? GPS, radio etc? If you do make sure that they turn off with the key rather than stay on and need turned off with a switch. I installed a Chatterbox using their power supply through a fused lead directly to the positive battery post. Always made sure to turn off the chatterbox but my battery still went dead. Found out, with an ampmeter, that the chatterbox power supply was pulling 130 milliamps from the bikes battery to charge the little battery pack in the chatterbox. Now I unplug the chatterbox until I get back in under the seat to use on of the spare ignition leads under the seat.

Speaking of the seat, there is a tab at the front of the seat that fits under a metal stirrup on the frame. When you set the seat in place you put the front of the seat down onto the frame and slide it forward so that the tab slides into the stirrup. That holds the front of the seat down and the single bolt obviously holds the rear down.

Hope this helps. Idaho
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 12-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #7

Newbie Questions

Thanks for the replies guys.

ds06nomad, the bike is a 2001, forgot to mention that. I am familiar with the Kawasaki part section. It comes in very handy.

Idaho, no accessories on the bike. Just got it last Saturday, I have not even had a chance to ride it yet.

All good comments and suggestions, I will take a closer look tomorrow, Saturday, during the day when I can see what I am doing.

I ordered the Owners Manual, should have it next Wednesday or so.

I was looking for a tab on the seat when I was trying to install it, but I did not see one. My Vulcan 750 had one, so I am familiar with that. Again, looking at it in the daylight will help.

Thanks again for all the replies, you guys are the best.

Michael
2001 1500 Nomad

Old 12-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #8

Newbie Questions

There is a lock on the right side of the bike kind of in between the gas tank and the forks. Turn your handlebars to the left and use the ignition key to lock the handlebars in the left position. My honda had to be at full lock, with the nomad I go to full lock, insert the key, and then I have to bring the handlebars back a HAIR to the right as I'm turning the key or else the key wont turn

Old 12-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #9

Newbie Questions

The manual will definitly help. Read it from cover to cover. It covers all the basic Info.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #10

Newbie Questions

For your question about why the tail light would be on, but the key comes out?

It's a parking light, if you are parked in a place that you worried about not being seen, and then hit (I never did) you can turn the key all the way to park and light up the rear light, pull the key and walk away. Shouldn't do it for too long or you will have a dead battery.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #11

Newbie Questions

Well, I do not think my battery dying the other day was a key issue, like I previously thought, or hoped. I am sure I had the key in right yesterday and it would not start in the morning. Even with the Battery tender on it since Wednesday. It started okay Friday evening, but had me a little worried when I tried to start it on the way home. PO says it is about 4 years old, so I guess it is time for a new one. Picked up a Die-Hard from Sears yesterday and I have it all charged up and waiting to get installed.

Thanks for all the tips.

Michael