Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #1

Product Review – Arai SA-RAM 3 Helmet

Product Review – Arai SA-RAM 3 Helmet.

Several weeks ago I purchased a new helmet. It is an Arai SA-RAM 3. It is an open face helmet with an attached face shield that can flip open. The helmet was purchased over the internet at The Helmet Shop. Purchase price was $379.00 with free shipping and no tax.

When I started my search for a new helmet I wanted an open face. In my 45 yrs of riding that is all I have used and all I care to use. My primary objective was to get a helmet with a reputation for very good ventilation at the top and side of the head. The Ram 3 has such a reputation.

I have now put approximately 700 miles of ridding on the Ram 3 and it has lived up to both its reputation and my expectations. It’s comfortable and it has very good ventilation with the shield up or down. When the shield is down the rider can open two vent holes at the top of the shield for ventilation across the face.

I seldom ride above 65 MPH and at the speed and below I can keep the face shield open without any problems. I did bump it up to 75 MPH (living dangerously here) and still kept the shield open but with some vibrations. Thus, most of the time I can ride with the wind in my face which is why I like an open face helmet. Yet, if I ride in cold weather or rain I can drop the shield and protect my face. I have ridden with temperatures in the mid-40 and the face shield down option is nice. It is simple/easy to open and close the shield while ridding.

Ventilation for the top and side of the head is controlled by scoops/ports in the front of the helmet that can be opened or closed easily. In reading the reviews on the Ram 3, some folks commented on the “wind noise”. And, yes there is wind noise but no more than other open face helmets I have used. With ear plugs the wind noise is abated.

Overall - I am satisfied with my purchase and while the Ram 3 is pricy, I am glad I got it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

Thanks for the review. I will keep it in mind when I am ready to buy a new helmet. :)

Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

Another thing nice about Aria is you can change of face shields out with a quick snap. I have a tinted one for sunny days and clear for nights.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74
Hi Rangers,

Thanks for the review. Did you try that helmet for size and overall fit first at a dealer and then order online. How did you like that online store?

Cheers,

E.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

They do make a quality helmet but just out of my reach. Thanks for the review. If I ever win the lottery I might just buy one.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis
Quote:
Hi Rangers,

Thanks for the review. Did you try that helmet for size and overall fit first at a dealer and then order online. How did you like that online store?

Cheers,

E.
Elvis

I used Arai's sizing chart. I liked the place I bought it from. If you look at helmets on their site, make sure you contact them and ask for their "best" price. Their internet page has a way of doing this. They will come down. I could not find a better price for my Ram 3.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Elvis

I used Arai's sizing chart. I liked the place I bought it from. If you look at helmets on their site, make sure you contact them and ask for their "best" price. Their internet page has a way of doing this. They will come down. I could not find a better price for my Ram 3.
Ranger, my apologies, I misspelled your name in the previous note.

I watched some video clip somewhere on how to fit a helmet and Arai rep on that clip made me believe one cannot buy a helmet online.

Helmets are substantially more expensive in Canada than they are in the US so I'm seriously considering an online transaction next year. [I think I will determine the size at a brick and mortar store though].

Thanks again for the review and tips on that online store.

E.