Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 01-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #31

I really like my Kingpin but if parts become a problem I will sell it and find something else.
It is not a Harley so it is not a lifestyle, it is a motorcycle. There are lots of motorcycles out there.
Indian will probably make a crossover bike with Victory technology and re-brand it as Indian anyway.
There is way to much panic going on. Stay calm and breath folks, this to shall pass
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #32

Agree with TopCat. Victory's are going to be bought and sold for a long time yet. Plus when has the lack of parts stopped people from buying bikes ?

Old 01-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
Apparently Polaris decided that Indian was the better marque to keep............

From the official press release: “This decision will improve the profitability of Polaris and our global motorcycle business, and will materially improve our competitive stance in the industry,”

I interpret it that they think that because of the nostalgia and history associated with the Indian brand they will get more market share in the overseas market than with the Victory. From a business perspective it makes sense, but does leave a lot of loyal Victory customers high and dry.

The world keeps going on. I'm old enough to remember the shock when Studebaker closed down and more recently GM eliminated the Oldsmobile and Pontiac brands.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 01-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #34

" I'm old enough to remember the shock when Studebaker closed down "

My first car was a 59 Studebaker Lark. She was a good ole girl. [sniff],[sniff].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (95.8 KB, 7 views)

Old 01-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I really like my Kingpin but if parts become a problem I will sell it and find something else.
It is not a Harley so it is not a lifestyle, it is a motorcycle. There are lots of motorcycles out there.
Indian will probably make a crossover bike with Victory technology and re-brand it as Indian anyway.
There is way to much panic going on. Stay calm and breath folks, this to shall pass
Who's panicking?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Who's panicking?
You obviously don't go to the Vic forums.
There is at least 7 threads on the same subject. This is what you read,
"Oh my God, Victory bikes are no longer going to be made, the ones we own are not worth anything now. I'm taking all the victory badging off my bike, I will not advertise for a company that shafted me this way. I don't know what I will buy but I must trade this Victory before it is worthless, etc."
Does that answer your question.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
"Oh my God, Victory bikes are no longer going to be made, the ones we own are not worth anything now. I'm taking all the victory badging off my bike, I will not advertise for a company that shafted me this way. I don't know what I will buy but I must trade this Victory before it is worthless, etc."
You gotta love back blast. While I think Polaris was as honest as a company could be about this, I don't think they fully considered the consequences. A lot of folks that got shafted may never buy a Polaris product again. Sometimes executives measure too much and count too much to see a different bigger picture, one where their bonuses don't come into consideration, at least not on first blush. I bet HD picks up some customers.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
From the official press release: “This decision will improve the profitability of Polaris and our global motorcycle business, and will materially improve our competitive stance in the industry,”

I interpret it that they think that because of the nostalgia and history associated with the Indian brand they will get more market share in the overseas market than with the Victory. From a business perspective it makes sense, but does leave a lot of loyal Victory customers high and dry.

The world keeps going on. I'm old enough to remember the shock when Studebaker closed down and more recently GM eliminated the Oldsmobile and Pontiac brands.
What they are saying is that they come first, second and third and customers fourth, maybe. It's just like politics. Politicians tap into narratives that align with beliefs to get voters to vote for them. They tell them the fairy tales they like best. Cui Bono? The politician. Here, it's the corporate douchebags. That statement says they couldn't give a shit about the customer.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #39
Top Contributor

I have been laid off enough times to know that employees and customers come second and there is no loyalty to either one when a company losing money looks at the bottom line.

Last edited by redjay; 01-12-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Well Tim no I don't frequent a forum for a brand I don't own, but since you posted on here not to panic, I assumed you were directing that at members on here were I didn't see any panic.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Well Tim no I don't frequent a forum for a brand I don't own, but since you posted on here not to panic, I assumed you were directing that at members on here were I didn't see any panic.
Well you know what they say about assuming
But I can see your confusion, my post did seem as though I was talking about people on here.
But then again, you get confused a lot so ...................
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 01-12-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I have been laid off enough times to know that employees and customers come second and there is no loyalty to either when a company losing money looks at the bottom line.
I was a dock manager with Consolidated Freightways in 2003 when they shut down completely in the U.S. the day after Labor Day. (Canadian division stayed open and was not affected. They locked out all the workers except management and then sent notices to all the customers to come pick up their shipments because it wasn't going to be delivered. They cared less of any backlash even though they were breaking federal laws (and knew it) and even had another trucking company started up which was non union ( Con-Way ) . They told the customers who's freight they weren't delivering , to start using the new company.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #43

LET THE GAMES BEGIN !!

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcd/5956712556.html

Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Well you know what they say about assuming
But I can see your confusion, my post did seem as though I was talking about people on here.
But then again, you get confused a lot so ...................
Yeah getting confused is one of the hazards of talking with you Tim.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #45
Advanced Member

Personally I look at it as I have a Nomad 1500. It has been out of production for 10 years. I love the bike and plan on riding it for years to come. Hasn't required a lot of parts for repairs. What it did require was easily bought through aftermarket venders. I don't hate on Kawasaki for discontinuing it. A bike design sale just so many and then the design peters out.

I read where Victory only counted for 3 percent of Polarizes sales last year. That's 3 percent cross the board for all models. At that rate you can't keep all of the parts supplier contracted to you. They will cut their losses and hunt other parts to build. Then you are left without parts for the build.

If the public isn't buying the supply of new bikes, the factory doesn't need to produce more to sit in storage. So do you blame the builder or the buyer? A local dealer here in North Bama has 2015 models still in his show room. Hard to put 2017 models on the floor at that rate.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 01-12-2017 at 10:00 PM.