Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 09-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #136

I did an official test-ride on a 2014 Limited today. Here are my observations.

We switched-out the stock seat for a "Reach-Seat" to accommodate my vertical challenges, which worked-out perfect. I would not have to have the bike lowered like my current one is.

I first took the Limited out-back on their Riders-Edge course to do maneuvers; especially the slow, critical maneuvers. Handled like a dream. Tight, full-lock turns are a snap with great balance... better than my '09.

I then took it out to the country roads...

My earlier comment about the fairing feeling heavier apparently is not true, as I did not notice it this time.
If anything, the new fork design and bearings is an improvement on what I already thought was just fine. There is a slight difference in how it feels compared to my '09; however the front-end is an improvement for certain.

New fairing definitely allows air to flow around you better than before. I did not feel any of the buffeting I have on my bike. The vent seems to do a good job.

There is a quite a difference with the several new changes to the 103 engine. This is very evident when you roll-on the power from a stop. The new cam adds noticeably more low-end torque. The bike also had a lot of strong power in reserve for passing on the highway. I do not believe anyone familiar with the pre-14's could deny the improvements to the engine's performance. It gets high-marks from me. The engine seemed to run smoother also. Not sure why, but it did.

The new hydraulic clutch is a great improvement. Gear engagement is much smoother and more consistent. That is going to make the constant shifting required to ride the winding, twisted backroads much, much better. However, the clutch grip was considerably tighter than mine, and more difficult to pull-in. Obviously that could be adjusted though.

Brakes worked great, and were smooth. Much, much better than my '09. I braked fairly hard going 55 mph to see. Tires didn't slide to engage the ABS, which means I could have hit them harder -- but I was satisfied with the way they felt and their stopping-power... so I didn't feel the need to push-it further with a dealer's new bike.

I noticed a difference with the new "heavier" fork design when stopping hard, cornering tight, and just while cruising. I could feel the added stability they provided. Definitely a plus on the beefed-up forks.

Engine heat: I rode the bike plenty long enough for the engine and fluids to get to full temperature. The engine heat was reduced substantially to me, compared to my '09. Certainly the water-cooled heads make a difference. People should like that. I assume a cooler engine would also help reduce engine wear due to excessive heat. I'll let the experts comment on that.

The top/outside-edge venting on the lowers for the hot-air from the radiators seemed to work well. I did not feel it blowing back on me as I had suspected it would. However, if anyone wants highway-pegs, they would have to put them lower on the crash-bars so as not to put your leg in front of that vent.

Color choices: Well... colors are personal and subjective. Personally, I am not knocked-out by the selection this year. I liked the vivid-black more than the other choices I saw. Second choice would be the Whiskey/Black combo... followed by the two-toned burgundy/red combo. There was one additional custom color on the floor that is a 90-day color-run of a light-brown/cream color that didn't look too bad (certainly would be easier to clean than black).

All in all... HD's long list of changes to their Limiteds are major improvements esthetically; functionally, and mechanically.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #137
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
That's animal cruelty, Long Trail Ale is healthier for a dog.
Giving a dog Miller should be considered animal cruelty. At least buy the dog a decent beer.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #138
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Color choices: Well... colors are personal and subjective. Personally, I am not knocked-out by the selection this year. I liked the vivid-black more than the other choices I saw. Second choice would be the Whiskey/Black combo... followed by the two-toned burgundy/red combo. There was one additional custom color on the floor that is a 90-day color-run of a light-brown/cream color that didn't look too bad (certainly would be easier to clean than black).

All in all... HD's long list of changes to their Limiteds are major improvements esthetically; functionally, and mechanically.
I wasn't real keen on some of this year's colors. I did like the gray/black combo I saw, and the vivid black looks good, but I wouldn't own another black bike. Too hard to keep clean.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #139
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post

I wasn't real keen on some of this year's colors. I did like the charcoal pearl/black combo I saw, and the vivid black looks good, but I wouldn't own another black bike. Too hard to keep clean.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 09-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #140
Top Contributor

Nice write up, Greg. I haven't had a chance to ride one yet but I did look at/sit on one a week or two ago. Seemed pretty nice.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads