Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #16

Kris, break down and buy a new key board, some of those keys keep sticking!

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #17

Greg..I'm in the hunt for another bike myself and was checking out a couple on your list yesterday. The fj13 only comes in one colour, yellowish bronze for 18k but was marked down to 16k. It is a nice sport tourer bike seemed to me to be outdated. The concours 14 has way more going for it in advanced tech and comes in gray or black. It goes for 20k. The rumour is the 2014 c-14 will be bumped up from 1352cc to 1451cc next yr.. I decided to get the 14/14 for a xmas present to myself. Oh yeah..these colours and prices are in Canada, so the price will be cheaper and the colours may be different in the states.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Is your name Schoeney ass wipe??
I'm surprised you were able to respond, I thought you were in the fourth week of your six week ride to Costa Rica or something. I didn't know they had wireless in the rain forests of Central America.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 04-26-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Greg..I'm in the hunt for another bike myself and was checking out a couple on your list yesterday. The fj13 only comes in one colour, yellowish bronze for 18k but was marked down to 16k. It is a nice sport tourer bike seemed to me to be outdated. The concours 14 has way more going for it in advanced tech and comes in gray or black. It goes for 20k. The rumour is the 2014 c-14 will be bumped up from 1352cc to 1451cc next yr.. I decided to get the 14/14 for a xmas present to myself. Oh yeah..these colours and prices are in Canada, so the price will be cheaper and the colours may be different in the states.
So you sold the Nomad and bought a Concours or you still have the Nomad?
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Schoeney:

The K1200LT is no longer in production and tech wise it's a generation or two old. A good bike, but about 835lbs wet, so it's not a light bike, but it is in your budget. As far as a K1300GT, that is also a bike that isn't made anymore and they have had a few problems...If you had to choose between the two, I'd say get the latest model LT, like a 2009. Lots of people are selling them off to get a K1600. That said, I would suggest you take a look at the R1200RT. It's a sport tourer that has a more sane riding position and room than a C14 or FJR and is better suited for two up riding. No it isn't as quick, but it's a lot lighter (570lbs wet) and does everything well. It's in your budget too if you look at a 2008-2009 and I would say the engine is more reliable than the K1300GT. That's my pitch for BMW. If you don't want a BMW, take a look at the ST1300. Not much personality, but stone reliable and does everything pretty well.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #21

Kris - I get it ..........you want me to buy a Voyager.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post

Misery loves company...Oh O !!

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #23

Schoeney - I have ridden all of the bikes on your list. I have owned the FJR. Of those you listed, I would put the Connie last. It's big, wide, and tall. Not my favorite to ride. The BMW is fine, but expensive to maintain in direct comparison. I also believe it has the least "personality" of the bunch.

The FJR is more aggressive but that can be changed for less than a hundred bucks. And the recent freshening (cruise, heated goodies etc) made for the best bang for the buck. That being said, the ST is probably the most "Nomad" of the bunch. What a great bike for so many years. Too bad it's 90's tech for so much money.

I used to own a Star Warrior, and I've ridden the Strat for many miles. Prior to my Nomad I had the Warrior. So when I was looking for a bagger, I really looked at the Strat. LOVE the motor!!!! Yamaha has the best sounding bikes. Better than HD in my opinion. It handles like a dream. It is the one bike that could really push a 6th gear, but it doesn't have it. It's uncomfortale in stock form. The gas tank is small. And that big awesome motor will SHRED the rear. Even when riding reasonably.

Theres my .02 do with it what you will. Good luck! There's no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #24
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badbagger View Post
Schoeney - I have ridden all of the bikes on your list. I have owned the FJR. Of those you listed, I would put the Connie last. It's big, wide, and tall. Not my favorite to ride. The BMW is fine, but expensive to maintain in direct comparison. I also believe it has the least "personality" of the bunch.

The FJR is more aggressive but that can be changed for less than a hundred bucks. And the recent freshening (cruise, heated goodies etc) made for the best bang for the buck. That being said, the ST is probably the most "Nomad" of the bunch. What a great bike for so many years. Too bad it's 90's tech for so much money.

I used to own a Star Warrior, and I've ridden the Strat for many miles. Prior to my Nomad I had the Warrior. So when I was looking for a bagger, I really looked at the Strat. LOVE the motor!!!! Yamaha has the best sounding bikes. Better than HD in my opinion. It handles like a dream. It is the one bike that could really push a 6th gear, but it doesn't have it. It's uncomfortale in stock form. The gas tank is small. And that big awesome motor will SHRED the rear. Even when riding reasonably.

Theres my .02 do with it what you will. Good luck! There's no such thing as a bad motorcycle.
One, it depends on which BMW and if the rider does the maintenance or not. Some of the bikes listed require maintenance than can get expensive if one has to use the dealer. The other thing is, saying a BMW has the least personality is beyond me. The ST is the most appliance like of the bunch IMO (it's a very reliable bike though), but if he wants a beemer with personality, get a boxer.

I will also add that Schoeney isn't short and test riding the bikes is mandatory as some of them may be too cramped and/or aggravate his knees.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
And then sell it to get something else.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #26

OK Guys. I am getting close to a decision. Here are my impressions on the bikes on my short list. This is based on test rides and info I have gathered through owner’s websites, discussions with owners, previous owners, rider reviews, and professional reviews.

It has been fun. Looking forward to getting it done. Many of you have given some great advice, it is much appreciated. I have looked; ridden and read so much on these bikes I hope I haven’t confused some of the details.

The specs I wrote may be wrong as you can find several different figures on the net for the same bike. Of course what do you use for HP/Torque figures? At the wheel? At the crank? The dyno? All I can say is the numbers I used I found in writing somewhere. The bottom line all of the bikes had plenty of power. Massively more than I am accustomed.

I did not write any misleading info on here but I am withholding a little info so it isn’t so obvious where I am headed. The suspense is killing Kris so I want to string that along until I buy the bike….which will be no later than next Friday.

Here are my impressions in no particular order. Keep in mind I am 6’2” 195lbs, long torso, 34” inseam, and like to relax when I ride and have one bad knee.

Sport Tourers

Bike – 2012 Yamaha FJR .
Weight: 640
HP: 145
Torque: 93
Grin Factor: 6 only because it was a choppy ride
Looks: 8
Comfort as tested: 5

Pros-
• I think it is the best looking of the Sport Touring bikes on my list but keep in mind looks don’t carry as much weight as performance in my book. Great power like all the ST’s. Quiet…which I like.

Cons-
• It feels small to me. Cramped position (knee is a problem) and bars felt narrow, power wasn’t as smooth as I expected but there was plenty of it.

Bike- 2009 Kawasaki Concours C14
Weight: 670
HP: 151
Torque: 100
Grin Factor: 10
Looks: 7
Comfort as tested: 6

I had intended to ride this at about 10 am during a week day but work got in the way so I ended up at the dealer during rush hour…….of all the bikes to ride in rush hour. So I pull on to the freeway surrounded by cars and pi**ed that I was going like 20mph…but wait…I look at the speedo and I am not doing 20….I am doing 60! Feels like 20. No wonder all the ST riders I see look bored when they are going the same speed I would on my Nomad. It was weird. I felt I was going so slow (at 60) that I should be putting my feet down to prepare to stop. On all the ST’s no matter how fast I was going I always felt like I was going slower. It is funny, when the C14 first came out (I think 2007 or 2008) the C14 won every shootout and the experts just gushed. Fast forward to today and it loses most shootouts and the reviews are less than stellar. I am here to tell you Kawasaki is just a couple tweaks away from making this the greatest bike on the planet. It handled great (remember I am not a racer….I like things smooth) at all speeds from parking lot to freeway.

Pros-
• Wow! Hitting the starter button was like a religious experience for me.
• The sound is awesome. A cross between a muscle car and a Ferrari. To be honest this was the only bike I was a little nervous about riding. I knew it had gobs of power but I wasn’t sure exactly how much gas vs. clutch needed. Was I going to kill it in front of everyone at the dealer? Was I going to let the clutch out too fast and flip or crash it like some of those you tube videos? To my surprise it was sooooooooo smooth on take off. Loved it.
• The C14 had a great dash. I really liked seeing what gear I was in. I am not sure if I will ever need 6th gear, It seems I would need to be going about 100 on this bike to make it worthwhile.
• All the mechanics (clutch, tranny, engine) were silky smooth on this bike.
• Silly thing I liked the little glove box on the tank, no lock so you don’t have to fiddle with a key. Unfortunately they got rid of the box starting in 2010.
• I felt like the kid with the 69 Road Runner while everyone else was driving AMC Pacers

Cons-
• My twins sit on the crack between the seat and tank.
• Lots of pressure on the wrists but my legs did not feel cramped like on the FJR.
• The OEM electric shield was a bit short for me. I think all these comfort items for the rider could be addressed with aftermarket items (taller shield, risers, peg lowering kit,etc).

• It only has one exhaust pipe (but it sounded sweet). I think every bike with bags should have two pipes. It looks better and allows for bigger bags, although the C14 bags were plenty big. The single pipe was butt ugly IMHO. I like the looks of the front of the bike but the back half not so much.
• The pillion is really high, like a perch. Have you ever looked at the rear pegs? I was looking at the rear set up and saying to myself, there is no way any adult could even get on the back seat because the pegs are so close to the bags. But some owners say great things about the 2 up experience so maybe there is a way to address that as well?

Bike- 2005 Honda ST1300 (One of my neighbor/riding buddies has one)
Weight: 630
HP: 120
Torque: 86
Grin Factor: 9
Looks: 7
Comfort as tested: 8

This bike is almost scooter like (very simple and plain), except a hell of a lot faster!

One thing I do like about the Sport Touring bikes vs. cruisers is it is very easy to stand up while riding to give your butt a break without stopping. I am thinking while I roll through stop signs in small towns after riding several hours, not on the interstate. As if I had to really clarify that.

The ST1300 has not really changed since 2004. They all look alike. Just pick which color you like and buy that year!

Pros-
• This bike is like the Camry of bikes. It is simple and does everything well.
• Great weather protection. The ST I rode had a taller than stock shield. Plenty of height for me. By far the best windshield. I love the electric windshields. You can adjust to conditions. Heavy crosswinds……adjust it. Passenger getting buffeted….adjust it. Hot day…..lower it. Raining or cold…..raise it.
• Gas tank is huge! And it can get 45-50mpg if you are tame.
• Track record on reliability might even be better than the Gold Wing.
• Feels pretty light to me. Everything is relative.
• I was concerned that 5 gears were not enough and I would be reaching for a 6th gear at about 70 but not the case, wasn’t an issue. Good gearing.
• Very smooth, no vibration.
• I took this bike up to 90mph…rock solid and felt like 60. The power was very consistent all the way from stopped to 90.
• Great value (like Nomads). You can pick new leftovers and used ones up pretty cheap.
• Ergos were pretty good . Just a tad forward but some taller risers should get me pretty vertical. Not cramped but it would be nice to figure out a second peg position. Passenger set up looked fine.
• Rock solid handling. I doubt you will be throwing this around in the twisties but it definitely inspires confidence at speed and in turns. So solid some riders call it boring.
• Bags are good size and functional
• It has a center stand!

Cons:
• The knock on the Honda as Ponch put it; they are “appliance” like, or boring. Some of that is because what I mentioned above, they have not changed much in over a decade. But as Dan K. said, maybe that is because there is not a lot to improve?
• Dash was functional but a little hard to see the numbers in the daylight. Not real sexy like the C14.
• That whirlybird/sewing machine sound of the V4 would take some getting used to. There goes my bad*ss biker image!
• Sounds like taking the “Tupperware” off is pain but hopefully that is not needed often.
• Takes premium but I put premium in my bikes anyhow.

V-Twin Baggers

Bike-2009 Yamaha Stratoliner (another neighbor/buddy has one)
Weight: 800
HP: 87
Torque: 110
Grin Factor: 8
Looks: 8

Pros-
• Plenty of power and torque.
• It has a really low center of gravity. Handles very well.
• Comfortable riding position
• Did not bother the knee at all.
• Used ones are a good value.
• I like the quick release windshield.
• I rode a Deluxe but prefer the “S” (windshield vs. fairing and lots of pretty chrome)
• Great stock sound – deep rumble.
• Cool gauges and front end look

• I prefer shaft drive and water cooled but I am actually good with the belt drive and air cool based on owner feedback.

Cons-
• Small gas tank.
• Pillion seat sucks. Would need to invest some bucks in a good seat.
• Bags are not as nice looking as a Nomads!
• I can’t remember for sure; either the air filter or oil filter is a pain to access

2009 BMW- K1200LT
Weight: 761
HP: 116
Grin Factor: 8
Looks: 9
Comfort as tested: 9.5

Pros:
• I really liked the comfort, position, and it had plenty of power. I know the power statement might be a surprise but I am coming from about 60 HP and 85 lbs torque so all of these bikes have plenty of power.
• Very smooth and soft ride.
• No knee issues.
• Lots of cushy features like heated grips/seat. Just about everything you could want.
• Quiet engine and exhaust

Cons:
• High cost of maintenance and reliability reputation.

2010 Victory Cross Country (not the Tour to keep it in budget)
Weight: 761
HP: 116
Grin Factor: 9
Looks: 9
Comfort as tested: 8

Pros:

• Are these made in Texas? Every thing is so big. Huge bags, big floorboards. It is almost as if the people these are designed for are trying to compensate for some inadequacies in other areas.
• Felt similar to the Stratoliner but looks a lot better
• Looks!

Cons:
• I would be like Kris and Brad
• Hard to find slightly used ones. Although there is a black one in Denver right now for $11,000
• I am not sure of the reliability and cost of maintenance but I suspect they are better than the BMW but just below the Jap bikes.
VBA #659

Last edited by schoeney; 04-27-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badbagger View Post

1Bad...

Thanks for the input. I obviously was typing when you posted. As Ponch said I am on the tall side and the FJR just was not a good fit on many levels for me. I have determined that I need less sporty. I guess that is why we have choices. It sounds like you are a "Yamaha" guy. They do make good stuff!
VBA #659

Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 AM   #28

Schoeney, it looks like you're really enjoying this process and also looks like it's going to be one of these: C14, ST1300 or Strato.

I don't want to complicate it but how come there's no Suzuki in your short list, e.g. a C90 (not the new one or you might like the new one also?). I test rode a 2008 C90 and I quite liked it, the only downside is the small gas tank but I know people install an aux. tank easily. If you rode one, you'd own one.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #29
Top Contributor

He is downplaying the Vic. At the end of the day....he will have a 106 CI engine in Bay #3.....no doubt in my mind....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #30
Sr. Contributor

I still say he should try an RT for the hell of it. A lot lighter than the rest and more room than the other STs, but not as much stonk. That said, k1200LTs have been known to last 200-300K miles. Just do the maintenance on schedule and they are fine.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Closed Thread