Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Fess Up Time

As some of you know I have been itching for a new ride for quite some time. All the new bikes out there and you guys getting new rides I decided to spoil myself and spend some major bank on a luxury touring bike.

Last Wednesday, my brother purchased my beloved 2006 Nomad. It has 42K pampered miles. Like some of you that let the ol girl go it pained me a little. Wednesday late afternoon I went to my local dealer that I have friends working at and picked up a 2013 Bronze Mist Victory Cross Country Tour.

Digressing some like a lot of you I gave up motorcycles to raise a family. I was out of the riding business for over 20 years. After reading Robert's adventures on Ruby Earl I contacted him and then went out and bought a new 2006 Green/silver Nomad. I couldn't believe how much motorcycles had changed! The Nomad was the most comfortable relaxed steed I'd ever ridden. Took it to South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Oregon, Nevada and Arizona.

Time continued on and my Nomad never let me down: Ever. Like all there comes a time where you weight the thought of having such an old high mileage bike that it almost becomes a worthless item. Sort of like my XR 600R in my garage. I should have sold that years ago!

Moving forward 7 years last December Marie and I test rode the Victory XCT at the Long Beach International bike show. If you haven't ridden one you should just to check out the differences between a Nomad, Voyager and Harley. If Honda made a V-Twin Gold Wing it would sound like the Victory. The Victory is the only bike that is bigger than my nomad as far as ergonomics go. Lots of us that have migrated to the voyager or Vaquero or Harley notice that they are a little more compact than the older Nomads are. The Victory also has a 2 inch lower saddle than my Nomad did. Nomads have their own personality as do Harleys. Nomad click and clack at times and Harleys sometimes sound like a industrial pump motor.

Not to say those are bad things but the sound of a Victory is like hearing the motor of an expensive European automobile. Most of us don't have to turn our heads to verify that we just either heard a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. The sounds they make are not mistaken for anything else. The refined sound of the Victory V-twin is that different.

Today I took a near 400 mile ride with Teri Conrad, her boyfriend John and another buddy of mine to the Salton Sea. This ride was over mountains, down in valleys, hair pin turns and climbing and descending and some super slab cruising.

A little about my Vic. As most know they are 106 cu in, six speeds, cruise control, heated driver and passenger seats, heated grips. Ipod hookup, information screen to navigate through the AM/FM XM AUX and weather channel. Wonderful sounding stereo speakers with bass, treble and fading options.

There is a toggle switch that allows me to navigate between 2 trip meters, instant MPG's, Average MPG's, average MPH, time on road, remaining miles left on fuel. Victory also has an extensive catalogue of accessories.

It also is one of the best handling motorcycles I've ever ridden. Aluminum frame monoshock. I just "think" turn and it does. I had to relearn some of my floor dragging days because I was cutting the corners in the mountains too tight! There is no comparison. Believe me. It's not even close. I've only been "holding hands" with her today but when I get to know her and take her to bed she's going to be a bullet in the mountains!

Today on a motor with less that 20 miles on it I averaged 42.9 in 400 miles. Mountains and super slab at 75 mph. Which coincides with 2800 rpms.

Well I've tooted my horn long enough but what a difference 7 years makes!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

nice I'm sure you'll enjoy the new ride
Big air kit, amp, Zumo 665, touratech lock, Kaw GPS holder, Avon grips, handle bar extended, Blue lights all over, cobra trunk rack, kaw rear speakers, kicker upgraded speakers commander 2 tires, dyna beads,

Old 02-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Congratulations on the new ride, Brad! Welcome to the ranks of the "Enthusiasts" and Sr. Contributors.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #4

Glad you like your new ride Brad.
I on the other hand remained true to the Nomad.
I bought a low mileage 08 to replace my 07, 87,000 mile friend.
That's how much I enjoy the Nomad.
Again, nice bike I hope you and Marie enjoy many happy times on it.
We will miss you around here as you will now probably be spending most of your on line time with Monkeyman on the Victory forums
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 02-02-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #5

Nice! Congrats man!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #6

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
That's a nice looking bike Brad. You ought to be a bike salesman, you make me want to take a look at one. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. You gotta ride what you gotta ride!

After you done flipped us the bird and holler to screw y'all, and pay dues to join a Victory Board somewhere, always remember after you piss 'em off they drop kick your butt off their board, ban you, and file restraining orders barring you from Victory Rallies, you're always welcome back here. Bloody nose, kicked butt, hurt feelings, shattered nerves and licking your wounds.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 02-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

I was wondering what was taking you so long...Congrats.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Congratulations BD! That is the same color as Monkeyman"s Vision, I believe> Good looking bike.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Wow! getting kicked out so soon?!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #10

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Wow! getting kicked out so soon?!!
You mean you ain't leaving?

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #11

Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like that Victory is gonna see a lot of miles
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
You mean you ain't leaving?

You guys need my touch of class!!

Member # 0005

Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #13
Advanced Member

....great looking bike Brad! Congrats!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #14

Good for you BD! Congrats!!
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #15
Top Contributor

Good choice and great color (same color as my Vision).

A few things you may or may not already know.

The CLUNK when shifting is normal. The trannys are bulletproof and the ALL shift that way.

I'd have a reputable dealer do the initial 500 mile service. After that, you can easily do most of them yourself.

As much as you like the new found power, it gets even better as it gets broken in. Once the 500 mile service is done, you can really crank on it. I think my Vision is stronger now than even 1000 miles ago and it's just getting better.

Throw out the Vic P&A catalog. The vast majority of Vic accessories can be found aftermarket for much better prices at a better quality. Witchdoctors (www.buywitchdoctors.com) is the leader in aftermarket Vic parts. There's also HMD and CycleOps, both with stellar reputations.

For performance goodies (there isn't much as these are SUPER motors, stock), stick with Lloydz products. The best bang for the buck as far as performance is a set of Lloydz cams, fuel processor, Lloydz ECM upgrade and timing wheel. There are a few Vic high performance mechanics scattered around the country. Lloyd (NY), Rylan Vos (in IA), Kevin Cross (in FL) and a few others. If you can get 4 or 5 bikes together, most of them will fly wherever you are to do "cam parties". For around $1500, they'll install cams, fuel processor, top filter (on the Vision), etc. Those will put around 110/110 to the ground.

The 3 biggest Vic forums are the VOG (www.thevog.net), the VMC (Victory Motorcycle Club...www.thevmc.com) and Cross Riders (www.cross-riders.com). Between those 3, you can get any question answered.

Congrats on your new bike.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860