Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #151

Mac, thanks a ton. I just got thru looking at the pics and reading his article. It looks straightforward and maybe I can get my buddy with the lift to come back over and help out. Problem is I am leaving town in a day or so for a week so everything on the bike is on standby. Its vacation time with my better half. Beach bound. I will bookmark the links you sent though. Thanks again.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #152
Sr. Contributor

Dave In the post down from mine where the pics seem to be on another site, at least the wire loops were CUT from the rear rubber brake line of the lone wasn't released from the rear caliper.

The HOW I know is the drive shaft is left on the bike hanging. Hanging is ok for a picture, but the bevel gear bearings wouldn't like it still.
I know like i said because with the brake line in the wing arm loops it won't move far enough to slide it off the drive shaft.

That is why I have the big upside down bucket under my bike and the swing arm was blocked up with wooden blocks.

The blocks supported the swing arm and the drive shaft with in, while i cleaned the drive shaft coupling to locate the pin hole, and to depress the pin maybe 1/8th inch and slip the shaft off the engine side bevel gear.

For sure DO NOT forgit that rag... Be prepared for that pin to jump up and out of the hole. Be ready to watch it, and catch it if you car maybe with another rag.
Clean that pin and tape it to a big hunk of something.

My pin and no other pin jumped a bit and was just sitting there as it should..

Other guys here have sent pins to both heaven and hell, but either way they have No Fun.

The floor should be spotless and if you were forced to work over gravel then a dead bed sheet on the ground is a must do.

Only a mad man would do this on gravel... Out here in the sticks a guy might though and put the bike on a bench with a skid steer outdoors.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #153

I read a post on here a while back about a member who lost that pin or thought he did...turned out it was jammed inside and he was frantic trying to find something to get it out with. NOT GOOD.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #154
Sr. Contributor

Dave that Spring is a almost a circle, just a long leaf of thin steel inside the bevel gear spline. No tellin' where the ends are, and about all that matters is they don't almost meet under where the pin is / will be.

It is possible for the pin to fall into the inside of the spline which ok, so long as you know that when you pushed on it and it fell where to find it and that you Do find it.

I have a bad time with small parts getting off some place and later i can't find them like i think I can. So if something gets dropped i don't work past finding what ever again.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it