Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-22-2024, 12:27 PM   #1

Dead horn

Hey all,

I have a 2005 Nomad with 67,XXX miles and a dead horn. I had replaced the horn last year and it was working fine. Now it's dead. I tried replacing it again to no avail. I pulled the wires off and I have no power at the leads. When I hit the horn button, I can hear a clicking (like a solenoid) up near the headlight. The wiring diagram shows that one of the wires goes to the headlight relay but I have no idea how to properly read the wiring diagram so I may not be seeing that correctly.

I know the new horn is working as I tested it out prior to installation. I'm hoping someone can help me track down the issue.

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2024, 04:10 PM   #2

Also, I have checked fuse and it is good and there is power at the fuse.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:55 PM   #3

Ok so y'all can disregard this. I fixed it!

Good thing I still have contact with the previous owner. It turns out that he installed a relay to add air horns. He ended up removing the air horns since they were a bit too much. He reinstalled a stock-style horn that was louder but never removed the relay.

When I replaced the battery last year, I inadvertently connected both relay wires to ground. This meant that the horn button would trigger the relay but no power was being sent to the horn. I just removed the relay and spliced the original wires back together and, BOOM, I now have a horn.