Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #16

once upon a time i had a k z 400 that did not leak or smoke ... at the time i worked at a chrysler/plymouth dealer and the mopar corp. had oil with graphite available which i used in my car and truck .. so i used it in bike and in short time i saw oil film on the lower case bolts .. it was black oil/graphite .. i dumped it n cleaned engine and went back to castrol .. end of leaks ... never had issues with any other oil even synthetic

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #17

Thanks to all for info. Had thought about skid plate will look it up. Weather here in Alabama cold and wet will look for leak in a few days when sun gets out. I may go back with either 10-40 V Twin oil or 20-50 V Twin. I fear that this synthetic from what I have been told by long term mechanics that in older motors it will find any small area that normally would not leak and it would leak. I doubt the guy I bought it from ran other than v twin oil. Seems after he stuck me with the crack on the bottom that I missed (my fault) he will not answer his phone. Guilty conscience probably oh well all is forgiven life it way too short at 72 to worry about such. Will just go on and enjoy my ride.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #18

Welcome from Northern California!

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 12-13-2016, 12:51 AM   #19

Welcome from New Hampshire.

Larry Martel
02 1500 Nomad
VBA 01565
VROC4737
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-14-2016, 11:52 PM   #20

Welcome here, Also! Yep, just follow your kickstand up, look right behind its tab, and there it is! On oil, I run the 20w50, since my engines are all hopped up big bores....I just let them warm up good.
On your oil leak, go to O'Reillys or Advanced, I think even AutoZone has it, its a oil dye. and what you do is go get a blacklight bulb in your drop light, and where ever you have oil seepage, it'll light up big and bright!
Thats what we do when theres a mystery leak going on....it will show itself under the blacklight....
Good, clean case (use sprayon brake cleaner, then rough slightly with sand paper, then blast again with brake cleaner), JBWeld will hold till rebuild time, then just have it TIG'ed up.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 12-15-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #21

OK guys have synthetic oil back in motor ran for some time in shop weather too bad to ride here in central Alabama right now. Next morning after a cold night oil on left side bottom dry so maybe the shift rod seal ?? If it is under the cover where shaft goes into bike with shifter attached what is behind this cover? Is there engine oil behind it. Pretty big cover got to look closer do not have stand so bike is on kick stand. Do not want to make a mess this 10-40 synthetic oil is so thin hard to pin point just the place but seems it may be coming from that seal on shifter you all talk about. Dang this bike was bone dry till I put this synthetic oil in may have to go back to 20-50 and ride lol. Any help appreciated as to how to proceed from this point.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #22

Everything is dry behind that cover. Once it is removed you will be able to see where that seal is located. They have a tendency to work out of the case. Pull it out on the shaft and clean the seal and the case. Put some locktite on the seal and carefully push it back in. Let it set for at least a day for the locktite to set up before running it.

DC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 01-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #23

Duffy still trying to find that article on the skid plate. I typed it in but nothing came up will keep looking. As to the oil leak with holidays and cold weather have not gone into shop for a few weeks but have to get back at finding just where the leak is coming from riding time is just a few weeks off. If oil leak is shift rod seal is there oil behind the plate they talk about on left side. My guess is you take the plate off but what will I see behind it except where the shift rod goes? Also do not have lift do you just put jack under bike to keep it level while doing this. Being new on here thanks to all for your help. Ride safe.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing View Post
Duffy still trying to find that article on the skid plate. I typed it in but nothing came up will keep looking. As to the oil leak with holidays and cold weather have not gone into shop for a few weeks but have to get back at finding just where the leak is coming from riding time is just a few weeks off. If oil leak is shift rod seal is there oil behind the plate they talk about on left side. My guess is you take the plate off but what will I see behind it except where the shift rod goes? Also do not have lift do you just put jack under bike to keep it level while doing this. Being new on here thanks to all for your help. Ride safe.
I found the post but apparently I never posted any pics............bike is gone now so all I can do is describe it if you're interested.

I also made one for a 1500 Drifter and the gent I sold it to still has it. I should be able to get him to take a pic or two if necessary. The 1500/1600's would all mount the same I believe. Let me know if you want some pics.

Last edited by duffy; 01-02-2017 at 11:54 AM.