Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #31
Mega-Contributor

--==^^^ Rally Feedback ^^^==--

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Well, I'm working on my wife a bit. Maybe we'll go to Custer. If I go through Tahoe instead of Mojave it's only like 5 miles farther, though a lot more on the superslab, but Nomads eat up the superslab. She's never been across the Bonneville Salt Flats, though I'm not sure that would be much of an enticement if she really knew what they were like. Ditto the north route across Nevada. My biggest issue would be this: after 2 days in Mesquite I still didn't get to really meet and talk to everyone, and our group was only about 20 people. If 100 or more show up in Custer, it'll take a lot more than 2 days just to get around to say "Hi" to each of them, assuming we're actually going to ride there.
I agree with you. I'd have liked to been able to spend more time visiting with people, including you. I didn't get to talk with you much.

I guess no matter where I'm headed, I have to go through desert to get there. 1250 miles to Custer seems a little intimidating to me, but I should have my trailer by that time. I'd like to be able to ride it in 2 days, but that is probably a bit aggressive. Although if the weather is cooler, I might not tire as quickly. I could probably do Phoenix to Denver in 1 day, but it would be a really long day.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #32

Just a thought...

I can see the logic of going to more (6) rallies would water down the attendance and thus needs to be more of a consideration of membership growth... however... to play the devils advocate....

What if the dates were stagered... lets say a spring and fall rally for each region. For example... A spring central rally in SD and a fall central rally in TX.

Of course keep in mind this suggestion comes NOT from a guy who has unselfishly burned his free time organizing ONE rally (like some of you) but from a guy who hasn't done shizznit on any of them. I could not make ANY of them this year but I do appreciate the work done by those who organized them ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #33
Advanced Member

trip you are right it is the journey, when my wife saw the miles she said no way but then I told her what better way to see some of the country we have not seen before, and too meet people like we met in w.va. our trip will be1,466 one way so my plans will be and 11 day run as to enjoy it and not have to push too hard. I think these rallies are important for this forum as they give a much needed break from the typical rallies like bike week and sturgus, that meaning we have a much needed control of who is attending, I have pass the need for the roudy and drunk parties and I am much more comfortable bring my wife too a rally like our's then theirs, I hope that as many of the members that can make this rally.
ride safe.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #34

Right now I'm looking at approx. 1500 miles each way. I don't see my wife being able to ride more than 300 miles a day for consecutive days, so that's 5 days traveling each way. If we have a day of bike prep & packing and a day of recovery, that allows two days in custer for a 2 week vacation.

If I tow the bike I can do it in a max. of 3 days each way, which means 6 days riding in custer. A much nicer scenario, but I'll need to buy a suitable trailer and twice as much gasoline as the bike would use, so the cost mounts.

All this hinges on the dates as well, as my wife teaches school and she can only vacation when the school is on vacation.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #35

I can't go to the one next year because of football....:(. But I will be there in spirit. Of course, if I were to resign or get fired, that would free up some time :)

Are the dates set in stone yet or is their a possibility that they could change to June? Just asking...well actually, begging so I can go.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #36
Advanced Member

[quote author=caddmannq board=general thread=4868 post=89638 time=1214933564]
If I tow the bike I can do it in a max. of 3 days each way, which means 6 days riding in custer. A much nicer scenario, but I'll need to buy a suitable trailer and twice as much gasoline as the bike would use, so the cost mounts.[quote]

The costs do mount, but so does your comfort. I will be towing my bikes to Custer. In fact I'm looking for a toy hauler right now so we can camp en-route to cut costs & expenses.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #37

My thoughts on the rally are not the miles. It is the journey that makes it worthwhile. My problem is the time, as I , like others, teach and have to vacation when school vacations. I would need 2 weeks at least to make it out there and back safely. I'll have to sit this one out too. I know it will be a great one and look forward to the pics, videos, and stories all will have to tell.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #38

Fly in and rent a bike :)

Old 07-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #39

That's a thought. Are there Nomads for rent anywhere?

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #40

No. You'd have to rent a *cough* Harley.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye

Quote:
If I tow the bike I can do it in a max. of 3 days each way, which means 6 days riding in custer. A much nicer scenario, but I'll need to buy a suitable trailer and twice as much gasoline as the bike would use, so the cost mounts.

The costs do mount, but so does your comfort. I will be towing my bikes to Custer. In fact I'm looking for a toy hauler right now so we can camp en-route to cut costs & expenses.
Somehow buying a toy hauler, and paying the fuel tab to haul it, doesn't equal cutting expenses in my mind.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #42

Quote:
No. You'd have to rent a *cough* Harley.
That's what I thought and just don't know yet that I could muster up the thoughts of doing that. Todd, you rented one in Vegas. How was it?

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #43
VBA Founder

CaddmannQ you have a good suggestion. Nothing wrong with trailering your bike to the rally. In fact Kawgirl, you might try arranging to see if someone would come up with you and put two bikes on one trailer. That way you can tag team at driving.

And as CaddmannQ suggested, fly in and rent. What would be wrong with flying to Denver and renting a Nomad?

Just a thought.

Let's see how the voting goes on the National rally dates, Kawgirl.....you might get to go afterall...
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #44

That would be great if it works out. Thanks for putting up the poll.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 07-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
And as CaddmannQ suggested, fly in and rent. What would be wrong with flying to Denver and renting a Nomad?...
No, that was Dan Lund that suggested that.

And if you can find somewhere that rents Nomads, I'll rent one; but I think chances are about the same as me winning the lotto.

(And that's bearing in mind that I've never bought a lotto ticket in my entire life.)