Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #1

? about these Dual Baggers

There have been a lot of threads about the Vance & Hines Dual Baggers lately, and it has caused me some confusion.

Most of these links have been talking about different baffles and the sort.

Perhaps I have just jumped in the deep end without readin ghte signs first, ( It has certainly happened before.) but I don't understand.

With our stock pipe, there is one welded in baffle. Once we take it out, there is nothing else to put back in.

Now I just bought the dual bagger II, the ones that retail for $548. Am I going to get any baffels with it? Are there just a bunch of different interchangeable baffles to use and alter the sound? Are the made to be interchangeable or we have to drill and reweld or what?

Any explanation here would be handy.

Thanks,

Sam

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Sam, these come with 1 set of stock baffles. they are not welded in. they slide in and screw down. they have fiberglass. other companies as well as jasperboy make other baffles that slide into our V&H after removing stock baffles. other baffles will alter the tone. sound.popping, power in mid-range, etc. You can choose whatever baffle you want or leave stock in. or take stock out and throw away. or take stock out and saw in half, or wrap aluminum around them. the list goes on.

You can customize your pipes the way YOU prefer. Hope this helps.

Dennis

Old 07-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

Sam the baggers come with there on baffles and if you don't want them loud then you just leave them alone if you remove the baffles (take to screws out of each pipe) then they are very loud. What every one keeps taking about is one of our members (VulcanE) design and machined some baffles for the baggers and gave drawings to any one that wanted them and now a member has found a machine shop to make them for a small price. If I were you I would put my baggers on and see what you think before worrying about any thing else, don't be like me I have made and changed my baffles 6 times.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbikers
Sam the baggers come with there on baffles and if you don't want them loud then you just leave them alone if you remove the baffles (take to screws out of each pipe) then they are very loud. What every one keeps taking about is one of our members (VulcanE) design and machined some baffles for the baggers and gave drawings to any one that wanted them and now a member has found a machine shop to make them for a small price. If I were you I would put my baggers on and see what you think before worrying about any thing else, don't be like me I have made and changed my baffles 6 times.
Yep if you like the way they sound do nothing. Want it alittle different try taking the insulation off and runing like that for a while or rap the baffle in rope and cover with flashing for another sound, or then you might cut the baffle in half or try weilding the front and back together and have a real short baffle for another sound. lol all kinda things you can do. or get someone to make you the ultimate baffle

Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

V&H come with baffels... Doc about has it right. You can do what every you want and it is a wise idea to look at whats there as new.

Sooner or later the glass blows out and if you like it that way you will know what was there.

The glass is probably gine now in mine, but I am not all the fussy about re-packing fiber glass.

There is probably 100 ways to make them you way.

The first thing you want to do is inspect each part. Fit the pipes to the mufflers on the floor covering the floor with blankets. Chances are there will be chomed over burrs stopping you from fitting the mufflers on to the pipes and it take a bit of carefull filing or dremel work to remove them.

it is important the fit is loose enough to get the mufflers back off later.
Once you have the fit you want, later in the install you will want to anti seize them.

I would just about tell you to throw away or not use the clamps between the pipes and mufflers... Just seal these with anti seize at first and see if you need the clamps at all.

There appears to be a problem sometimes with head pipe #2 cracking in the back.

I am not sure if this is a installer problem or there is another issue from V&H.

So far I haven't suffered the crack, but it might be because I relieve stress when i install.

It might be my sets are some how different too.

I use new stainless acorns and replace the stock chrome ones. At the time V&H didn't supply new flanges to the heads. I hear their flanges are thinner.

With the stock Nomad flanges at the head pipe fitting I find we need a extrat flat washer.

I treat the studs to a cleaning, and then spray hi temp flat black paint into the can's own cap. With a brush I paint 3 or 4 coats of that on the studd where the nuts will NOT be.

After the paint is dry I fit the head pipe as a trial fit to make sure of how the flanges will aline.

Using a new gasket I install the pipes just after I paint what the nuts will cover with anti seize.

I DO NOT tighten the acorn nots at this time, but use wooden blocks to hold the yead pipes in a near to be place.

About here in time I chrome covers on the head pipes.

This is the time to decide if you will use the clamps or not. Then install the mufflers and you may need an extra flat washer between the saddlebag rack and the mufflers to level them.

As you snug the mufflers FIRST rapp the over the entire system with the heel of your gloved hand. Wear gloves to cut down on finger prints and human skin oils.

When the mufflers are just snug rapp on the covers and the head pipes, to relieve stress.

Then snug everything to tight, wipe off any anit seize and ALL your finger prints because they will etch into the chrome with any heat!

Fire up the bike and if you didn't use any clamps light up a smoke and hang it inder the joints to the mufflers.

A small exhaust leak can be ok to live with, and I like the cleaner look better. If there is a leak and or you used the clamps in the first place do what ever you need to stop the leak ....

Air can get in the pipes here if the leak is too large and may cause some popping in decll modes.. Chances are you will get some popping anyway, untill which ever fuel modual is set up right, and even then you might.

So what, it ain't deal ol' grannies car anyway...

With 100 miles or so on the system re-snug the head pipe acorns, as the gaskets will have heated and become softer, and the head pipes could be loose.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #6

Thanks a lot for the details Mac. I am actually not installing them. The shop is getting so much insurance money form me that he said he would install them for the same price he was gonna charge my insurance just to replace the right side muffler.

I am sure that many people will appreciate your tips, when they go to install their own. I will also use it to check the trouble spots and make sure the dealership did them right and did not mess up any pieces or take shortuts.

Thanks Mac

Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #7

diddo Doc-------great advise