Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #1

I got my Avon Cobra tires. 1st impressions...

I just replaced the OEM Bridgestones with the Cobra's. My first thought was how easy it was to lean. The first slow turn I took I almost stopped to see if the wheel was loose or something. I felt like I had vertigo as the bike started to lean, it felt like it kept wanting to lean and I'd fall over. Finally I realized it was just the tires are easy to turn on or lean with, but it kinda freaked me out a little at first. :) With my old tires, I always felt like i had to force the bars to lean, and when I'd go into turns, the bike would feel like it was hopping. The tank and other parts would get a harmonic vibration going anytime I leaned into a turn, especially left turns. Now the bike leans effortlessly and the vibrations are gone.

I was getting a serious front end/handlebar wobble between 40 to 65 mph when I'd let go of the bars. I noticed on the way home today that the wobble was essentially gone with the exception of a slight wobble upon deceleration at around 40 mph. This is a HUGE improvement, and I hope it lasts a while because the wobble is very annoying.

These are just my first impressions riding home from the tire install shop. BTW, anyone in the St. Louis, MO area needing tires and install or just install check out MotoTireUSA in Fenton. I dropped the bike off this morning along with the tires I bought online, and the bike was ready 2 hours later for $120.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #2

Thanks for the report. I intend to replace both my tires with cobras when the present bridgestones wear out, so I'm always interested in input. It seems most people have good things to say about the cobras on a Nomad and I'm glade to hear your first impressions are positive also. Would you say that they actually improve low speed maneuvering or just create a different feel?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Thanks for the report. I intend to replace both my tires with cobras when the present bridgestones wear out, so I'm always interested in input. It seems most people have good things to say about the cobras on a Nomad and I'm glade to hear your first impressions are positive also. Would you say that they actually improve low speed maneuvering or just create a different feel?
I hadn't thought about the low speed maneuvering, but I would say they probably do help. The bike just turns easier now. After I ride some more later today or tomorrow, I can report back on the low speed performance.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to dabull

Avon Cobras are a great tire...

BUT

You need to track down that wobble...many of us have had this issue, but yours is the first that I have heard of that continues up to 65mph.

Might want to start with the steering head and make sure it is properly torqed...2 cents

Old 07-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBull
Avon Cobras are a great tire...

BUT

You need to track down that wobble...many of us have had this issue, but yours is the first that I have heard of that continues up to 65mph.

Might want to start with the steering head and make sure it is properly torqed...2 cents
Yes, I agree. I just need to be willing to drop it off at the dealer I guess since I havve no clue what to do and really can't wrench. I figure the new tires are just a temporary fix as others have said.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Nice write up. I felt the same way when I had my tires replaced this past spring. The first time I leaned the bike to turn, it was like a whole new bike. I put Pirelli's on, and have been pleased with them so far.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #7

I had the same feeling with my Cobra a couple of months ago when they were put on. Turns easy.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I have just one question. Did the Avon Lady ring the doorbell and say Avon calling?

Glad you got the new tires and I am sure they do make the bike ride and turn better. If it is still having a wobble then you do need to get it checked out. I never had that problem even with the Bridgestones. Your bike shouldn't do that with new tires so there has to be something else.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
VBA Founder

I put on Metzler's after I wore out my Bridgestones. It was like night and day. I had to learn to lean all over again. The Metzler's did whatever I commanded them to do. If I went into a turn and leaned, they would lean and not come up until I told them to. A stark difference from the stones.

I have since gone to Avon Cobras and although I didn't have to learn to lean again, they are more repsonsive than the Metz's and have better wear.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
I have just one question. Did the Avon Lady ring the doorbell and say Avon calling?
Why yes she did. And they came with perfume for Ava in a bottled shaped like a Nomad.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #11

I am on my second Avon Cobra rear tire. I was happy with the first one I had, so I'm sticking with what works.