Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

Question Powdercoat KQR backrest?

Has anyone powdercoated their KQR backrest? Pivot points/moving parts/lock are removable so that appears to be a non-issue. Would the powdercoating affect reassembly or functioning afterwards?

Would just need to find black bolts somewhere if it all worked out.

Thought it would look unique and help with the black theme.
VBA #2354

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

Powder coating back rest

I had the back rest pad bar took it to a welder and had him add 4in to it to raise the pad higher up for the wife to lean against. Then had it powder coated gloss black worked great. The locking points raddle a little bit when she is not on the bike. I took duck tape and put two pieces on the rollers to stop the raddle it works good for a while. When you take it off and back on a few times it starts raddleing again. I think you could powder coat the rollers with a thinner coat and the locking part would work fine. I would not have a thick coat put on but I have thought about having the luggage rack coated to match. But think the coating duals quicker with something rubing on it all the time like a lug rack bag. Other than that I realy klike it alot hope that helps you out in some way good luck. Thank You, B Cope.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC RED VAQ View Post
I had the back rest pad bar took it to a welder and had him add 4in to it to raise the pad higher up for the wife to lean against. Then had it powder coated gloss black worked great. The locking points raddle a little bit when she is not on the bike. I took duck tape and put two pieces on the rollers to stop the raddle it works good for a while. When you take it off and back on a few times it starts raddleing again. I think you could powder coat the rollers with a thinner coat and the locking part would work fine. I would not have a thick coat put on but I have thought about having the luggage rack coated to match. But think the coating duals quicker with something rubing on it all the time like a lug rack bag. Other than that I realy klike it alot hope that helps you out in some way good luck. Thank You, B Cope.

Two questions. Do you have a picture of the new taller backrest?
2nd is your backrest loose on the bracket? Mine was replaced because I couldn't get it on and off with the 4 bolts tightened. The new one I got is a little better, at least I can get it off and on now without a wrench. I wonder if the powder coating would crack with all the flexing.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Thanks BC. I think I'll bring the whole thing intact to powder coat guy so he can see how the parts interact and recommend a thin or regular coating. Sounds like yours is holding up ok so I'm gonna go for it. Hopefully I'll have some pix in a week or so...

One more question, did you have any of the chrome KQR mounting pieces on the bike done as well?
VBA #2354

Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Kqr

I have pictuers in my album and no I don't have any other pieces coated and yes I can get mine on and off ok. I will post better pictuers of the back rest as soon as I get it out of the dealer fixin the cruise you know takes a whole week to do it or longer when you did not buy it from them. Head mechinic told me he had a floor model he could use the part off like that will happen I even made an appt with them but Im always last in line to be fixed. And what realy burns me is I take it to them spot less and get it back all dusty and finger prints all over it. Shame no one cares about what they sale even being a victory dealer store also. Ok sorry for the rant good luck with you back rests and let us know how it turns out. Thanks, B Cope

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #6

I sympathize, dealer I bought mine from had my vaquero 42 days last year trying to diagnose electrical issue. It was unreal.
Screwed up my back pretty good this week so no parts taken off bike. Just trying to survive work without falling over. Maybe next week.
I'll check out your album. Thanks for the feedback.
VBA #2354

Tags
kqr, powdercoating