Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada West Group

Old 01-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #1

2019 Western Canada Summer Ride?

I see that guys are posting in the old 2018 thread and asking about a 2019 ride already. Well, let's get the conversation going!

First off, are any of you headed to the VBA National Rally in Onalaska, Wisconsin the week of June 17th? According to Google Maps that's about a 21 hour ride from Calgary, so a 3 to 4 days ride, depending on the route and how hard one wants to push it.

For something here in the west, there are no doubt lots of options. One possibility would be to do a repeat of the Salmon Arm - Nakusp - Creston ride that we did a few years back. That seemed to go over well (the only complaint was the restaurant service at the lakeside hotel in Nakusp!) and would be relatively easy to set up. Maybe reverse the route and start in Creston and end in Salmon Arm.

What other ideas or suggestions might you guys have? I think at the Chewelah rally someone (Colonel, maybe??) had suggested the Sea To Sky highway up to Whistler and Pemberton as a possibility.

Let's hear some ideas as well as who wants to invest time to help make this happen.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Advanced Member

I would definitely be into a get together this summer. I like the idea of a Creston to Salmon Arm trip. Maybe an extra day at Creston to do a day trip around there before heading North. Lets see if we get any more interest or ideas. I'll help out with arrangements!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
I would definitely be into a get together this summer. I like the idea of a Creston to Salmon Arm trip. Maybe an extra day at Creston to do a day trip around there before heading North. Lets see if we get any more interest or ideas. I'll help out with arrangements!
Sounds great Mike! Yes, an extra day in the Creston area would be fun; lots of great riding there. Maybe do the loop Creston-Salmo-Trail-Castlegar-Nelson and back to Creston. Nelson is one of my favorites to just sit at a sidewalk cafe and watch the interesting people!

Are you fully retired now or still working with Brad?

I met up with bdog the other day in Nanton and had a great visit with him and his wife. They are up for a ride this summer as well, depending on their work rotation schedule.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514

Old 01-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Advanced Member

...That loop you mentioned sounds great. I never get tired of riding those roads.

Brad has moved into a project managers job with his brothers restoration company. Pretty good gig for him and he seems happy. He sold his bike last year and hasn't replaced it yet. Not sure what his plan is in that regard.

I'm still working. More like a retirement job as a maintenance guy at a large condo unit. Nobody bothers me and I can get time off if I want. Probably stay another year.

Hopefully there will be more interest in the ride. If not, I'm still gonna do a couple trips west this summer.

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

Old 01-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #5

Hmmmmm, maybe a good long ride would be do-able. I could spend a few days in Mt. and then a few days in northern Idaho (Charlie and Moes), and then run to Creston.........and see what happens afterwards.....what dates are you looking at Al?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by duffy; 01-25-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

Hey Duffy! Great to hear from you! How's the winter treating you in SD?

Nothing has been determined for dates yet, but thinking of the latter part of July, maybe somewhere around the 20th to the 27th.

And if you're up this way, you're always welcome to spend some time here at "The Ponderosa".

VBA Member #01514

Old 01-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

Will they let me back out of Canada when I want to leave?

Late July should be ok with me..........I haven't any firm plans for the summer yet.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

I went on the salmon arm run a few years ago had a lot of fun and met some very friendly people that made me feel very welcome. Last year I did a 6000 km trip down to deadwood but it’s time to enjoy my home province again. I will keep checking back to see if anything comes of this.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

I received an email from Kevin (Voyager) and he suggested a ride from Lillooet, down to Whistler, Squamish and through the sea to sky hwy. Definitely, that's another option to consider.

I guess the big question is how long a ride does everyone want? If we wanted a longer multi-day trip what about the idea of extending it? Looking at Google maps we could take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay over to Langdale and follow the Sunshine Coast Highway all the way up to Powell River and then ferry again over to Courtenay on Vancouver Island.

VBA Member #01514

Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #10

I'm thinking the trip to Creston and a day or two ride around there and then head back (the long way thru Glacier and Yellowstone) to MT.....I still have to check and see if Charlie would want to ride along.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
Advanced Member

...the Lillooet/Squamish ride would be a good one for sure. Colonel suggested that on the other thread. Personally, I would prefer the Creston idea and would not likely do the coast run, but have at er.

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

Old 02-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #12

Creston sounds good to me. Easier to schedule around a weekend for me anyway.....
VBA #02217
06 Nomad
Buy the ticket, Take the ride.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #13

Yup..it all sounds good to me. I'm open to either but would prefer the creston to salmon arm run.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Bump!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

Old 02-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #15

I really like how you guy do a traveling rally. Meet up then ride/ stay one night then on to the next.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers