Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #1

Helmets

Just wondering...rode in the rain today, and probably will for the next several months. Looking for feedback on preferred helmets. I'm using a Bell full face and it tends to fog, not enough vents. I like the helmet in light rain or clear days but in heavy rain it hampers my view. I don't have a lot of cash to spare and was wondering what my brothers favor in head gear.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Helmets

Not a lot of cash to spare? Good luck. I just got an Arai Profile full-face. It fogs up just as much as my cheapie did. It has all kinds of vents, so maybe I haven't figured the right combination of what should be opened and closed. I still have to crack my shield to clear the fog.

Rain has never been a problem. The windshield/faceshield combo has stopped everything. It's the cold that I want to keep out.

I'll probably be looking into the fog-shields soon.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #3

Helmets

went to a local shop and they had a good solution for helmet fog for my full face. It was a foam sealed insert for the inside of the visor. Was $35. Designed for the ice racers. Helmet would only fog on the very outer edges beyond the insert which was only about 1/8 - 1/4 inch.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Helmets

Any full face will fog in the right conditions.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Helmets

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm

More information than you would want to know about helmets. One thing I read here was the shape of your head must match the shape of the helmet. Not all helmets are shaped the same. Some are molded for, round, oval, egg, earth, & reverse oval shapes. See the FAQ page thru the above link.

What I like about this site is the author is honest about his evaluations & not trying to sell helmets. Another plus is at the bottom of each page there's an owners review section which helps in the site's honesty.

I have a round basket ball shaped noggin. I've been shopping for a modular helmet & narrowed it down to two. The AGV Miglia, (about $125 on E-Bay) & the Shoei Multitec, ($400). I was sold on the AGV with fit & comfort, but putting the Shoei on was like putting your head inside a pillow, very soft & plush....-Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #6

Helmets

I use a Simpson full face in the coooler weather, it still can fog up . I ride with the lens cracked open a bit until its clear and then close it. This method works well for me most times.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Helmets

When I was down in Rapid City this past summer, I bought a full face. A Z1R.... never heard of it and like it's been said already, it's difficult some times to find something that fits. This fits like a glove. I rode back to the west coast with rain, almost the entire trip. The weather wasn't exactly warm either through some of the passes. I never had the shield fog up once either. There isn't anymore venting than most other helmets. I think it has more to do with the amt. of heat coming off the top of your head. I try not to be too warm while riding. Just warm enough though. JMHO

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Helmets

What I like about the above site is they list which manufactures model are molded for what shape your head may be. This way here I was able to target what to look for in a specific helmet....-Rich

Old 10-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #9

Helmets

I have worn a G-Max 68 for the last two years. Lots of vents and very inexpensive. I still have to do as Ringadingh says. I like the helmet and will probably replace with another G-Max when time comes.
Will probably get white instead of black because I think white shows up better. My buddy has a white helmet and it really stands out.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Helmets

Go to your local ski shop and get a can of this it works really well. Or you can get it here.

http://www.zooke.com/

Old 10-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Helmets

redeye: i own a Shoei 3/4 helmet and I know what you mean about comfy. it fits my head like a glove, well like a helmet. but Shoei is my brand for my shape head, yours might vary.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
redeye: i own a Shoei 3/4 helmet and I know what you mean about comfy. it fits my head like a glove, well like a helmet. but Shoei is my brand for my shape head, yours might vary.
I thought I might get off cheap with the AGV, but trying on the Shoei knocked the cheep helmet off my list. I just have to save my lunch money for another month & Santa will have it delivered in time for..........-Rich

Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #13

Helmets

Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll try one of the de-foggers probably the Zook Spritz. Again thanks and be safe this winter.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Helmets

I used to ride with a 3/4 and it tended to fog sometimes. I use a 1/2 now and I have no problem with fog. But then there is nothing there to fog except my eyeballs.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #15

Helmets

I have three helmets a basic vega half,a Scorpion EXO-100 and a HJC modular full face helmet, if raining and not too cold I wear the EXO which is a half helmet w/a retractable shield (no fogging), but if it is cold and rainy I go with the full face and leave it open about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....