Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Straight from EJK Pete... See this page on their site. 20-30% discounts for Police / military / fire, 10% for racers & forum users.

I should have checked that when I got mine... I never realized they would sharpen their pencil on an already good deal.
Great. Thanks a lot. I'm not quite ready yet. Maybe next summer but have it bookmarked.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I really am liking the EJK, seems simple enough. I am not heavily modifying the bike, just want the air / fuel right and get a smooth response through the entire power band. I ride in FL so mostly straight line cruising between 70 - 85 mph on the highway. No high altitudes or flogging my motor in my future. I just want the easiest thing I can set up myself without having to drop 325.00 at a dyno shop, which still does not guarantee a perfect tune. I do have Racin Ray close by but still don't want to shell out more money to tune after spending $850 on my upgrades (slip ons, K&N filer and Fuel Processor).

I also want the satisfaction of saying I did it myself, much like I did when I rejetted my carbed 1500 classic. I took it to the dyno for a pass and the operator told me I was spot on for the AFR and he could not have gotten it any better for a carbed bike. So I am still torn but the EJK seems to get good reviews and looks pretty simple to set up and tune.

So what ever it is I said here today. I will let you all know my decision when the time comes.

Ken
Hello Ken, i would like to hear more about you're rejetting the 1500 mate,i am about to mess about with my Nomad, and any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #33
Advanced Member

rejetting the 1500

Not hard at all Mick. When I installed the hypercharger it kame with a jet kit from Kuryakyn, but you can also buy a kit from dyno jet. It really is all trial and error. First off the pilotbjet that governs idle, Kawasaki covers the mixture screw with a small piece of metal, you have to carefully drill the piece off, it can be done with the carb on the bike. The screw underneath can the be turned with a precision screwdriver. To get to the needle jet you have to remove the top of the carb, again it can be done with the carb on the bike. The needle jet has some slots and there be recommendations on which slot to place a clip to either richen or lean out the mix. The needle jet controls midrange throttle. The final jet is accessed from the bottom of the carb. You gave to remove the floatbowl and when you look up from the bottom you will see the main jet. The main jet controls full open throttle fuel delivery. It is removed with a screwdriver. The new jet kit will come with several size jets. Lower the number the leaner the mix. Put it all together and start it up. On idle if you blip the throttle and kind of hangs up there and doesnt go back to normal idle RPM, you are too lean and need to open the idle screw you uncovered with the drill about 1/4 turn at a time until you can blip the throttle and it becomes normal. The other jets I ran the bike and did seat of the pants testing and checked the plugs for lean (very white ceramic) or very rich (alot of soot). In the end after all my tuning I had it run on a dyno machine and the tech said he could not have gotten the Air Fuel ratio any better than I did....

its been years but if I recall correctly, I have a 140 main jet, the clip on the 2nd slot from tje bottom on the needle jet, and the idle screw 1 half turn open from bottomed out. Bike has performed flawlessly for 10 years. She is going on a 220 mile run tomoorow to the Florida Keys.

Unfortunately my new Vaquero does not have a passenger seat yhat is comfortable and the wife wants to come.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #34
Advanced Member

by the way

I ordered the Dobeck Performane electronic jet kit. Lets see how it does.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 12-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Not hard at all Mick. When I installed the hypercharger it kame with a jet kit from Kuryakyn, but you can also buy a kit from dyno jet. It really is all trial and error. First off the pilotbjet that governs idle, Kawasaki covers the mixture screw with a small piece of metal, you have to carefully drill the piece off, it can be done with the carb on the bike. The screw underneath can the be turned with a precision screwdriver. To get to the needle jet you have to remove the top of the carb, again it can be done with the carb on the bike. The needle jet has some slots and there be recommendations on which slot to place a clip to either richen or lean out the mix. The needle jet controls midrange throttle. The final jet is accessed from the bottom of the carb. You gave to remove the floatbowl and when you look up from the bottom you will see the main jet. The main jet controls full open throttle fuel delivery. It is removed with a screwdriver. The new jet kit will come with several size jets. Lower the number the leaner the mix. Put it all together and start it up. On idle if you blip the throttle and kind of hangs up there and doesnt go back to normal idle RPM, you are too lean and need to open the idle screw you uncovered with the drill about 1/4 turn at a time until you can blip the throttle and it becomes normal. The other jets I ran the bike and did seat of the pants testing and checked the plugs for lean (very white ceramic) or very rich (alot of soot). In the end after all my tuning I had it run on a dyno machine and the tech said he could not have gotten the Air Fuel ratio any better than I did....

its been years but if I recall correctly, I have a 140 main jet, the clip on the 2nd slot from tje bottom on the needle jet, and the idle screw 1 half turn open from bottomed out. Bike has performed flawlessly for 10 years. She is going on a 220 mile run tomoorow to the Florida Keys.

Unfortunately my new Vaquero does not have a passenger seat yhat is comfortable and the wife wants to come.

get back to you later mate,it's friday night here, pissed as a fart at the minute

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #36
Top Contributor

You seem to be typing okay for being pissed as a fart. Years of practise I guess.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
You seem to be typing okay for being pissed as a fart. Years of practise I guess.
It's not any easier this morning

Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #38
Top Contributor

Self inflicted, no sympathy.
It has been many years since I slept in next doors front yard after falling through the hedge up to our front door.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Self inflicted, no sympathy.
It has been many years since I slept in next doors front yard after falling through the hedge up to our front door.
I was'nt looking for any, 4 rasher's of bacon,2 sausage's, 2 egg's, 2 hash brown's, black pudding,mushroom's,bean's, smothered with Daddies sauce,and 4 slice's of toast washed down with a mug of PG tip's seem's to have done the job

Old 12-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #40
Top Contributor

I will have the same, minus the black pudding !
Congealed blood is not very appetizing to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/black_pudding

Last edited by redjay; 12-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #41

Hey all!

TuningHQ here (aka Dobeck Performance)

Just dropping by to say hello and see how everyone is liking there EJK.
If anyone has questions about our products, feel free to ask.

If you have a question and someone has not gotten back to you, please send a PM or contact tech support.

We are happy to help!

--TuningHQ

Old 02-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuningHQ View Post
Hey all!

If you have a question and someone has not gotten back to you, please send a PM or contact tech support.

We are happy to help!

--TuningHQ

Just placed my order for one of your tuners 2 days ago...can't wait to get it and put it on now!! All the reviews and comments on this site are what made me ultimately go with the EJK.
Thanks!

Old 02-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #43
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey all!

We are happy to help!

--TuningHQ
So far so good. Still get a pop or two on decel but the bike pulls like a freight train after installing the EJK. Very happy.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Hey all!

We are happy to help!

--TuningHQ
And I've had mine for a year or so now - love it.

And can I just say that I was extremely impressed with your follow-up support. After his enquiry with me as to how it was working out, I exchanged a few emails with Patrick. He was quickly able to clarify a few aspects of the unit, in a way that ensured I'll remain a return customer.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #45

Ordered my EJK yesterday, USPS says it'll be here Saturday. Ready to get it done.