Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
May be http://cycle-ergo.com can help figure that out.
Interesting, however it tells me nothing other than the following.

1500 - 107 degree knee angle
1600 - 108 degree knee angle
1700 - 101 degree knee angle

The 1500 & 1600 are virtually the same for a person my size. You knees are bent substantially more on the 1700. Still it's the same wheelbase. On my 1700 my wife was always in contact with me when riding two up. On the 1500 there is no contact. Again, the same wheelbase.

Somehow, someway the seat on the 1500/1600 has to be positioned further back on the frame although it is not obvious. We're talking maybe an inch difference.

I needed risers on the 1700. The 1500 had risers and I added new handlebars to keep my shoulder blades from complaining.

So I have to say that they are exactly the same only different.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #47
Sr. Contributor

It's more than knee angle. I you choose the 1700 and 1600, you can scroll back and forth between the images and you will see the difference. The 1600 has a longer gas tank and puts the rider further back. Also look at the rear axle vertical centerline and see where it bisects the pillion. It's different too. On the 1700, they shifted everything forward.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
On the 1700, they shifted everything forward.
About an inch??

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #49
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City Stan View Post
About an inch??
I bet more like 2".
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #50
Top Contributor

My knee is definitely at more of an angle on the Voyager than it was on my 05 Nomad.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
Tilting the shield forward is an easy fix. . . . . . . . . .
Excellent explanation and from looking at them in the show room I can tell exactly what you are talking about. Thanks man !

Quote:
FYI, everyone seems to overlook this but the older Nomads have the same wheelbase as the new Nomads. I'm still not sure where all the room went with the newer models but it was not the wheelbase.
My mistake on Wheelbase, that was an "assumption" on my part or maybe I read that somewhere. But it does "definitely" sit more forward than the previous year models.

Quote:
. . . . . . .
The 1500 & 1600 are virtually the same for a person my size. You knees are bent substantially more on the 1700. Still it's the same wheelbase. On my 1700 my wife was always in contact with me when riding two up. On the 1500 there is no contact. Again, the same wheelbase.

Somehow, someway the seat on the 1500/1600 has to be positioned further back on the frame although it is not obvious. We're talking maybe an inch difference.
. . . . . . . . .
Yes that is exactly what I got from it, only I'd say more like 2" difference. And also what Ponch said about the longer gas tank and the rear relationship to the end of the passenger seat.

I went to websites with pics of both pre-2009 and post-2009 year nomads and scaled and resized them and brought them up side by side on my screen. It absolutely clearly verifies what Ponch said about the tank length and the rear positions relevant to axle etc. You can "easily" spot the fact that the end of the passenger seat is way more forward on the rear fender placement than the pre-09 models. In addition the earlier model has more tilt on the rider floorboards to accomodate the forward foot position better.

I can't get a new pre-09 obviously and haven't found one with low miles so I still will probably end up with a post 09 Nomad, but with some bars that aren't so in my sides I think it will be fine. Besides with the rear passenger seat more forward it should accomodate a tourpak better with less hanging out the rear.

Additionally looking at the comparative pics the rider's crotch is more forward over top of the rear cylinder jug which would account for the heat issue. I've had some riders tell me they can feel it coming throught the seat at slow speed riding.

But currently I have ridden both the new Nomad, the new Harley Road King and the New Yamaha Stratoliner. The acceleration award goes to the Yamaha Strat of course with it's lite aluminum frame and 1850cc engine. The Road King comes in second having a noticable less torque and pickup of the Strat, but noticable more response and torque the Nomad which slides in third. (All of these bikes were in OEM unbroken in states). The Nomad had the most "smooth" acceleration if that counts for anything. Kawa purposely intercepted the throttle Position sensor in this area. Some folks (on the Vulcan forums) have modified this out for a better throttle response.
-------------
But in the ride and seat comfort department the Nomad comes in 1st without a doubt having IMHO the absolute most smooth and comfortable OEM ride "by far" of the other two. Additionally the Nomad's center of gravity is "low" and makes it easier to balance and corner at slow speeds. For over 800lbs of weight it surprisingly easy to roll backwards while parking or manuvering. It has practically zero vibration, both the Strat and RK had some Vibration relevance, not seriously uncomfortable but just trying to be complete.
--------------
For leaning ability and the nimble higher speed cornering the Harley Road King wins hands down IMHO, having higher floorboards and a narrower width than the Strat or the Nomad. The Strat is a wide bike also.
--------------
The Heel/Toe shifter position was more conveniently placed on the Nomad than either the RK or the Strat, speaking in relation to my size 13 boot.
--------------
Ammenities goes to the Nomad with it's electronic criuse control, gear indication in every gear (including neutral) and a positive neutral locater. If the bike is not rolling and in first gear, shifting up will only go to neutral not second.

The Strat comes in a close 2nd since it has a tachometer. ( I honestly did not check if the Strat had electric cruise, so it might be a contender for 1st here).

The RK does not have electric cruise, and only shows 6th gear indication. No automatic neutral finder.

Last edited by R_W_B; 07-31-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #52

Well I bought the Nomad. I love the bike and have a very good feeling about my purchase. The primary reason I decided on this bike was the ride. It is the best of any bike I test rode.

I could list other reasons but then most of your already know them.

I am now a happy Nomad owner.

Appreciate any info on what driver back rest pads you guys use (that will mount on the OEM 1700 Nomad seat).

Also any pointers on how to break in a new Kawa (other than keep the rpms down within limits)

Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #53
Top Contributor

Congrats on your purchase! Don't forget to email Trip and either sign up for VBA or update your status to member (or owner or whatever it is...other than "enthusiast"). What year did you buy? New, used, new holdover? BTW, around here we have a few rules. One of them is, "Without pics, it didn't happen".
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Don't forget to email Trip and either sign up for VBA or update your status to member (or owner or whatever it is...other than "enthusiast"). What year did you buy? New, used, new holdover? BTW, around here we have a few rules. One of them is, "Without pics, it didn't happen".
It's a new holdover 2011, it had so few miles, coming home I got confused over the mileage and the gear indicator.

It's raining pretty heavy now so I can't roll it out of the garage for a pic. Plus it's a tad dirtyed up from riding home in the rain. But I will get some pics eventually.

I will have to check out those stats. Not sure what VBA is or who Trip is.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
It's a new holdover 2011, it had so few miles, coming home I got confused over the mileage and the gear indicator.

It's raining pretty heavy now so I can't roll it out of the garage for a pic. Plus it's a tad dirtyed up from riding home in the rain. But I will get some pics eventually.

I will have to check out those stats. Not sure what VBA is or who Trip is.
http://www.vulcanbagger.org/

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
Well I bought the Nomad. I love the bike and have a very good feeling about my purchase. The primary reason I decided on this bike was the ride. It is the best of any bike I test rode.

I could list other reasons but then most of your already know them.

I am now a happy Nomad owner.

Appreciate any info on what driver back rest pads you guys use (that will mount on the OEM 1700 Nomad seat).

Also any pointers on how to break in a new Kawa (other than keep the rpms down within limits)
I have a Grasshopper on my Nomad. Its good for the price. $100 bucks. But no adjustment. I have a Custom world backrest on the way. $261. Need to adjust forward more. I'm to short armed. Will have the Grasshopper for sale for $50 bucks.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #57
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
"Where's the beef?" I know that the bike is geared extremely high but at 60-65 mph in top gear, there was basically NO acceleration and LOTS of vibration, shaking and shudder.
Thats the problem, what were you doing in 6th gear at 60MPH? None of the vulcans, 1500, 1600 or 1700's like to be lugged. It was vibrating and shaking because you were lugging the engine.6th gear is basically a overdrive gear. The vaquero's sweet spot is right at 3,000 rpm. I don't hit 5th gear till around 65 and shift into 6th at about 80mph.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Last edited by tazfl; 08-04-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygene49 View Post
Thanks guy that says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
I have a Grasshopper on my Nomad. Its good for the price. $100 bucks. But no adjustment. I have a Custom world backrest on the way. $261. Need to adjust forward more. I'm to short armed. Will have the Grasshopper for sale for $50 bucks.
I liked it too above the other offers I viewed. I just bought one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post
Thats the problem, what were you doing in 6th gear at 60MPH? None of the vulcans, 1500, 1600 or 1700's like to be lugged. It was vibrating and shaking because you were lugging the engine.6th gear is basically a overdrive gear. The vaquero's sweet spot is right at 3,000 rpm. I don't hit 5th gear till around 65 and shift into 6th at about 80mph.
I agree, 6th gear is an overdrive for mileage, not for acceleration of any kind unless you are already at 75 mph.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post

Well of course if you crank the throttle all the way around in 6th gear at 60 mph it is gonna shake and shudder. Hell my old 900 would do that in fifth. If you roll on the throttle with some sense then it will easily accelerate from 60 with no problem.