Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #1

TFI installed

just an update on the TFI installation; Got the unit installed today...not that big of a job except for propping up the gas tank....actually the tank job is not that complicated, but I am nervous with the tank propped up mainly because it is an unstable mass of weight that could shift and fall off......came out ok though.....as far as impression, I did not notice a huge black and white difference, but I did notice the bike was smoother in both idle and at speed...the power seemed to roll on easier and i did notice that it seemed to have a little more power.....also seemed to be quicker up to speed...the big diffference seemed to be at low speed manuveuring...much smoother and not jumpy like before.....overall a good addition.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #2

TFI installed

When I installed mine the biggest thing I noticed was it ran smoother. No more stalling at red lights, no more pinging and I run 87octane. Performance increase?...not that I could tell.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI installed

I noticed a dramatic reduction in heat off the motor!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #4

TFI installed

That's for sure Brad. My fan very seldom kicks on since installing the TFI. Before, it would come on everytime I sat at a traffic light waiting for the green.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI installed

that was worth it alone Mitch!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
TFI installed

Engine does seem to run cooler for sure. But then again the weather has turned cooler so won't know that for sure until summer arrives again.

When I installed the fuel processor I didn't disconnect anything from underneath the gas tank. Don't think it could have fallen off with the hoses still connected but I still worried. I sure was glad to lower that tank and get the three bolts back in.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #7

TFI installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Engine does seem to run cooler for sure. But then again the weather has turned cooler so won't know that for sure until summer arrives again.

When I installed the fuel processor I didn't disconnect anything from underneath the gas tank. Don't think it could have fallen off with the hoses still connected but I still worried. I sure was glad to lower that tank and get the three bolts back in.

Yeah Al I was the same way...it is just intimidating to have the tank stuck up like that knowing the cost, etc if something happens and you have to replace or repair the tank.....also being very carefully knowing any small bump has the potential to cause the tank to slip......the rest of the job is no big deal

I actually left the front bolt in place by a few threads just to be safe

Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #8

TFI installed

I am waiting for my TFI to come in and I will do the mod asap! Not too sure where it plugs in yet,but will know when I have a better look :):) I hope! Thanks for the heads up on the tank! I must be careful when I rase it !

Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #9

TFI installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
I am waiting for my TFI to come in and I will do the mod asap! Not too sure where it plugs in yet,but will know when I have a better look :):) I hope! Thanks for the heads up on the tank! I must be careful when I rase it !
the injector connectors come out very easily......I was just nervous with the tank up so I was extra careful....one thing i found that was not clear in other postings is that you need to have the bike propped up straight rather than on the stand to keep the tank level.....you could brace the right side and put a couple of boards under the stand or use a jack and as ratchet strap like I did.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

TFI installed

It takes maybe 5 minutes more to completely remove the tank and set it in a safe place so you won't have to be scared of it falling.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #11

TFI installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
It takes maybe 5 minutes more to completely remove the tank and set it in a safe place so you won't have to be scared of it falling.
yeah probably, but I had zip tied some other wiring under the tank that I would have had to undo...i also did not know about what the gas coonector to the tank is....is it a quick self closing dissconnect?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

TFI installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzufarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
yeah probably, but I had zip tied some other wiring under the tank that I would have had to undo...i also did not know about what the gas coonector to the tank is....is it a quick self closing dissconnect?
Yes it is... Simply pinch the gray tabs IN and give a twist as you pull.

i have never raised the tank with the idea the tank was gonna stay there, supported on blocks...

I always take it off and set t on a table/ bench covered with a beach towel and far from the work what ever it is.

At most there will be 2 drops of fuel when you pull the fuel line off the tank. Any rag or paper towel is more than enough to catch that drop.

With no tank in place it is far easier to change coolant, check the main wire harness at rear cly II, check all water clamps, re,ove Medusa's head garbage to the reed valves, cap off the port at the throttle body, remove the left side air filter unit complete and the cross over pipe for right side only mods, and etc...

After the first time the tank is pulled it becomes a 15 minute chore pretty routine. It helps if the tank isn't FULL of gas...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
Top Contributor

TFI installed

I agree with Mac. After the first time you take the tank completely off you will realise how easy it is and much more convienient to work on the top of the engine. Its a breeze and safer than working under a propped up tank. The tank weighs a lot less than you think, even with a couple of litres of gas in it. Instructions below for 05 and up. Cant be sure if they are the same for pre 05, never done it.

1) Remove seats, take a couple of photos of how the cables/hoses route at the rear of the tank. Disconnect battery for safety.
2) Remove speedo cowl.
3) Remove speedo leaving all connections attached. Lay the unit against the right front crashbar. Tie rap so the weight is not hanging on the wiring harness.
4) Remove front (1) and rear (2) bolts from tank.
5) Raise rear of tank with one hand and disconnect fuel line (towards the rear on left side of tank) This is done by squeezing in the tabs on both sides of the connector, turning slightly back and forth while pulling off. Only a few drips of gas will escape no matter how much gas is in the tank.
6) There are 2 vent hoses attached to the bottom of the tank on the right side, one near the front and one near the rear. I only disconnect the one at the front and leave the rear one in place. This hose will come off with the tank as you take the tank off. Look to see how it is routed before you lift off the tank. I leave this hose in place attached to the tank as mine wont come off !
7) Lift off the tank and set it aside on something soft to avoid damage.

This procedure takes about 15 minutes.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

TFI installed

redjay sure that rear hose will come off, you simply cut it off. Then square up the hose and add a drop of hi tech engine oil to the hose so it will pull of next time..

Be very carefyll with the extra hi tech engine oil.. In fact you should send me 65 bucks for a drop I am the only one in the world with this very special oil more rare than Spermacetti

Your method will be mostly right for a 1500, there are different bolts in different places but the lay out order is right.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it