Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Fan mod on my 2016 Vaquero

Excuse the mixed in rants. but the fact that a switch is needed, drives me nuts

I cannot tell you how much it irks me that I even have to do this or do the Ivan ECU flash for this bike to run LIKE IT FREAKIN SHOULD from the factory..

So first things first.. I am not going to ever get a Kawasaki again and will deal with this one for the time being, but will probably trade it for another bike next summer..

So.. pics to come..

What I did is take off the gas tank cowling.. Put two switches on it.. One for the Cree lights I have for the bike and the other for the FAN override, so I can keep my engine running below 1/2 on the temp gauge so the engine does not go into de-rate mode. which totally sucks wet slimy ass..

I put the switches on the tank cowling for several reasons..
For one.. on the front of the cowling they are kind of hidden
two.. wiring into the AUX power supply wires in the dash is much simpler, I do not want to tap power directly from the battery..
Three, I can now wire more direct to the fan instead of tapping into the wire under the set coming from the plug (just a person preference)

Also, it is SO much easier to add in more switches should I add in body,frame LED's.. which I probably will
And I have the indicator lights on the top of the cowling so I can see them easily and know what I have on..

One other thing.. I want to wire into AUX power lines so the fan and Cree lights are only on while the key is turned on.. So there is no chance of me leaving something running and coming back to a dead battery..

Photos will follow once I get this on the bike later today

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

But is the switch really needed? I hear your Rants and AGREE, but is it possible that we focus on the gauge to much and do not remember when we did not have a gauge.
Before the visual gauge, we had the fan turn on and off all the time. ( speaking of My 1500 Vulcan, now). We just never knew how hot it was, we just knew it tuned on then it turned off as we went down the road. We were clueless as to what the temp was just knew the fan was on. Oh, it must be running warm the fan is on.
Now when my temperature sensor went out (1500 Vulcan) the fan did not turn on and the bike had a light that said OVER HEATED. I pulled over and shut it off for some time then slowly went home After it cooled off some.

I still agree with we should not have to Ivanize but the facts seem to point that it will solve a lot of different problems. I ran the # and trading it off and selling it outright I will loose more Money due to the depreciation. So It is an investment as I see it. And when you do sell it will sell easier to sell with the ECU flash since it will drive better making it easier to sell.

Ridiculous, YES. But I hear you, and feel your pain.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 07-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #3

+1 on what mbarr10 said

My Voyager runs much cooler with the reflash, especially the second generation reflash

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 07-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #4

A good bike with some fucked up computer programming. Just think of Ivanizing as solving a built in glitch.....which it has....and Ivan irons it out.
You'll fall in love again after the reflash....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 07-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Photos will follow once I get this on the bike later today
But please post the photos, I too am an Ivans hold out. And do want some satisfaction in DIY work you are doing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mbarr10; 07-08-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
But is the switch really needed? I hear your Rants and AGREE, but is it possible that we focus on the gauge to much and do not remember when we did not have a gauge.
Before the visual gauge, we had the fan turn on and off all the time. ( speaking of My 1500 Vulcan, now). We just never knew how hot it was, we just knew it tuned on then it turned off as we went down the road. We were clueless as to what the temp was just knew the fan was on. Oh, it must be running warm the fan is on.
Now when my temperature sensor went out (1500 Vulcan) the fan did not turn on and the bike had a light that said OVER HEATED. I pulled over and shut it off for some time then slowly went home After it cooled off some.

I still agree with we should not have to Ivanize but the facts seem to point that it will solve a lot of different problems. I ran the # and trading it off and selling it outright I will loose more Money due to the depreciation. So It is an investment as I see it. And when you do sell it will sell easier to sell with the ECU flash since it will drive better making it easier to sell.

Ridiculous, YES. But I hear you, and feel your pain.
I am not focusing so much on the gauge,.. but using it as a reference point as to where I start noticing the "de-rating" of the engine..

From everything I understand three stages of de-rating the engine.. they start at 210 degrees.. Also from what I understand is that the halfway mark on the gauge is 195.

So that is my reference point..

The fan switch helped a TON yesterday.. When you hook in the fan, that is the only wire I ran back under the tank to the plug, otherwise.. My power source comes from the lighter plug wire on the right,, it is SUPER easy to access and when the bike is turned off, so is the power to the fan, so there is no chance of running down your battery..

IVAN's just don't think it is worth the 350-400 plus shipping and all that.. To me it is something Kawasaki should be paying for..

Photos to follow.. I need to upload them from my phone

Old 07-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #7

Pics..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170709_112024.jpg (78.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170708_071052.jpg (82.9 KB, 42 views)

Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #8

Home Depot has these switches that are excellent to use, since they do not protrude much into the cowl, so there is plenty of clearance .. One switch is for my "Cree LED Lights" and the other for the fan.. Blue lights for the subtle indicators I wants so I remember I have the fan on..

It has made a HUGE difference, for under 20-bucks..

Old 07-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #9

Nice work, Thanks for the pics. Did you tap into the Blue/White wire for the fan control? RacnRay has a post with those instructions.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukibandit View Post
I am not focusing so much on the gauge,.. but using it as a reference point as to where I start noticing the "de-rating" of the engine..

From everything I understand three stages of de-rating the engine.. they start at 210 degrees.. Also from what I understand is that the halfway mark on the gauge is 195.

So that is my reference point..

The fan switch helped a TON yesterday.. When you hook in the fan, that is the only wire I ran back under the tank to the plug, otherwise.. My power source comes from the lighter plug wire on the right,, it is SUPER easy to access and when the bike is turned off, so is the power to the fan, so there is no chance of running down your battery..

IVAN's just don't think it is worth the 350-400 plus shipping and all that.. To me it is something Kawasaki should be paying for..

Photos to follow.. I need to upload them from my phone
I don't think Kawasaki enjoys selling a castrated bike. Their hands are tied.

Last edited by redjay; 07-09-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Nice work, Thanks for the pics. Did you tap into the Blue/White wire for the fan control? RacnRay has a post with those instructions.
Yes.. BUT there are 2 of them (Blue White wires)..

There are 5 plugs the rear INSIDE one (9-pin plug I am pretty sure), is the correct one to tap into.. The rear outside one is not (much bigger plug)...

Old 07-10-2017, 12:38 AM   #12

Oh, the biggest reason I mounted this into the tank Cowl is it is a cheap part to replace if one needs to later on to put it back to stock

Tags
cooling fan, cree, fan, lighting