Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Yesterday's Ride

Yesterday, a co-worker and I with our wives made a 200 mile circle starting from my home to Sorrento then up LA-22 to Ponchatoula, then down I-55 to Midendorf's seafood restaurant in Manchac, LA. We had a great meal there and then made our way back home. It was hot, being over 100* with 55% humidity putting the heat index at or near 110* for most of the ride. Really makes you appreciate Spring, Fall, and even Winter over here. We entered a small town on LA-22 called Springfield and met a Parish LEO in a black SUV just as the speed limit dropped to 35 mph. We were both indicating 40 mph which with both of our speedo errors put us at about 37 mph actual. I noticed the radar antenna on his dashboard when I met him in a curve while he was following the vehicle in front of him closely and more toward the shoulder than the center. In other words, he was using the vehicle in front of him as cover to catch oncoming speeders. After crossing him, I checked my mirror and saw him immediately apply his brakes and hit the shoulder. He whipped around and followed us through town and then parted ways with us as we were leaving the city limits. I figured my speedo wasn't off as much as I thought it was when he turned around and followed us. I felt pretty confident that he was going to stop both of us and issue two speeding citations for 3 - 5 miles over the limit. Well, he didn't. I don't know if it was a coincidence that he whipped around or if he just wanted to let us know that they are watching bikes closely as they pass through. LA-22 is a great riding road with many curves and great wooded and river scenery along the way. I'm sure they get their share of fast/noisy bikes that pass through. So, if you happen to ride this great road, be sure to mind the speed limit as we all should no matter where we ride.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #2

Yesterday's Ride

Glad you didn't have an incident with the officer Mitch, as that would have spoiled the day. The heat has been unbearable here also. Glad that it didn't keep you from having a good ride.

Joe "Griz" Grisolano
2008 Arctic Pearl Honda Goldwing
2008 Black/Red Nomad - Traded September, 2013
VBA #1210
Pittsburg, Kansas

Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Yesterday's Ride

Good thing you guys were running close to the speed limit. Also glad he didn't write you a citation.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #4

Yesterday's Ride

<<I noticed the radar antenna on his dashboard when I met him in a curve while he was following the vehicle in front of him closely and more toward the shoulder than the center. In other words, he was using the vehicle in front of him as cover to catch oncoming speeders>>

Believe it or not, a similar thing happened to me today. I went to Sumas, WA to visit a friend. Riding on lonely 547 southbound and minding my own business, I noticed an SUV behind me and it turned out to be a LEO vehicle. Because my gauges are metric, I was overly cautious. I was going slower and slower and he didn't overtake but slowed down to maintain the distance. He followed me for a while like that then probably got bored and turned into a side road.

On the way home I had good time with Canadian border guards, a female officer complemented on my Nomad.... These Nomads are ladies' magnet for sure.

Overall it was a great day, lessons learned: watch your speed at all times and protect your Nomad from, well everybody ;)