Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #1

Code of conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

Exactly. I said this myself the other day. Folks, we may be buddies and sometimes the BS gets a little deep in here, but someone new to the scene may not realize that.

I think we all (yes, I'm guilty too) need to be mindful of this when posting. Maybe we should ask our intrepid leader for a debate forum where people can take their heated discussions and leave the technical/travel/vendor/general/safety forums for Nomad or at least motorcycle-related stuff?

Differences of opinion exist whenever there's 2 or more people involved. Discussion and debate isn't inherently bad, in the right place. I'm not saying we need to all hold hands and sing Kumbaya, but some of these threads lately are downright embarrassing.

I refer people to this site all the time, and so do many others. What kind of first impression are these guests forming? Maybe we need moderators to keep things at least "closer" to being on-topic? I don't know. Anybody else have any ideas?

Let's continue to make KawaNOW the resource for Nomad enthusiasts, and leave the bickering and tantrums on the playground.

Don't make me get out of this chair....
CJ brought up some good points in another thread, and rather than just do a +1 response I thought it was worthy of discussion in its own thread.

A debate forum might be good, I don't know? On another board that I used to spend time on, I found that I liked people better when I didn't know their biases, politics, religious preferences, etc. So I just didn't go to the debate forum.

Having it might be a good idea, and you can go if you want, or stay out.

One thing I didn't like about another board was the self-appointed monitors that seemed to be professionally trained in Self-richeous indignation, and they take it upon themselves to swat down any behaviour that doesn't fit their own version of a code of conduct. That site claimed to have no rules, but had too many rules for me :)

One thing that I like about this site is the easy flow of conversation, and no Self-appointed bullies full of Self-richeous indignation always at the ready to club over the head anyone who posts against their own version of the unwritten rules. :(" title="" border="0"/>

Perhaps a rule of no personal attacks might be good? Get a warning to knock it off from a moderator and after few times your shown the door?

It seems that in my time here, it would only have needed to be used a small handful of times. We're usually a good natured bunch without huge egos that need fed.

Just some random thoughts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #2

Code of conduct?

Well Pilgrim I think you summed it up pretty good. Kumbaya and all!!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Code of conduct?

My 2cents...so far... is if I wouldn't type anything I wouldn't say face to face. That's not for somebody to read a challenge into, but quite the opposite. It's called respect. If I wouldn't respect myself, and the person I was talking to enough to say what ever I have to say, to their face, then I just don't type it.

BUT...I also don't loose the sight that everybody has good and bad days...and we're all learning each other on a daily basis. Something that I would consider to be "no big deal" could be a "HUGE" deal to somebody else!! I'm just as guilty of that as anybody else.... but as long as we keep trying...and if mistakes are made, then account for them and try not to repeat them, but don't hold grudges.... nothing good can come from that.

I'll step off my soap box... but I have YET to meet anybody on here that I wouldn't consider a friend and enjoy riding with!!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #4

Code of conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussMatt
My 2cents...so far... is if I wouldn't type anything I wouldn't say face to face. That's not for somebody to read a challenge into, but quite the opposite. It's called respect. If I wouldn't respect myself, and the person I was talking to enough to say what ever I have to say, to their face, then I just don't type it.

BUT...I also don't loose the sight that everybody has good and bad days...and we're all learning each other on a daily basis. Something that I would consider to be "no big deal" could be a "HUGE" deal to somebody else!! I'm just as guilty of that as anybody else.... but as long as we keep trying...and if mistakes are made, then account for them and try not to repeat them, but don't hold grudges.... nothing good can come from that.

I'll step off my soap box... but I have YET to meet anybody on here that I wouldn't consider a friend and enjoy riding with!!
You better quit now while you're ahead... this may end up with you being canonized a Saint.... knock it off!! ;)

Old 07-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #5

Code of conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodc

You better quit now while you're ahead... this may end up with you being canonized a Saint.... knock it off!! ;)

Nah...No chance of that... at least not by those who know me!!! LOL!

Besides that.... It's your B-day Dude!!! Why aren't you out riding!?!?!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #6

Code of conduct?

TOO LATE!!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Code of conduct?

I've also visited a site that had a debate area and found it to be a greater deterrent to the site. It can become too much of a distraction to the members so people don't talk about what's important, the bikes, their rides and their lives.

I do agree with a code of conduct though and the staff has been kicking that around in light of recent events. It truly is important to keep in mind that there are people visiting this site constantly and many of them are joining. When we present an atmosphere of positivity, camaraderie, information sharing and fun, we encourage people to join. We also bring out the best in each other which is very important.

I'm not going to create another poll, but tell me how you feel about this and give me your ideas. I'll be reviewing this throughout the rest of the week and into the weekend and will consult with the staff so we can come up with some ideas.

You are what makes this site work which is why I want your input. So come on, let's hear your voices!
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Code of conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodc
TOO LATE!!

I am not kissing any part of Matt, I don't care what you say! :-*
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 07-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #9

Code of conduct?

Quote:

Well put. Good preaching there St Matthew. ;)

Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #10

Code of conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB,voices tell me evil things

Now...that's not what you've been saying in all those PM's you been sending me!!!!

Make up your mind there cue ball!!! LOL!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Code of conduct?

Quote:
Quote:

Now...that's not what you've been saying in all those PM's you been sending me!!!!

Make up your mind there cue ball!!! LOL!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #12

Code of conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
A debate forum might be good, I don't know? On another board that I used to spend time on, I found that I liked people better when I didn't know their biases, politics, religious preferences, etc. So I just didn't go to the debate forum.

Having it might be a good idea, and you can go if you want, or stay out.
We had a "War Room" over at Motorcycle-USA which basically serverd that purpose. I though it was a good idea. Like the "Joke Room" here, if people get offended, they can just avoid it.

Quote:
One thing I didn't like about another board was the self-appointed monitors that seemed to be professionally trained in Self-richeous indignation, and they take it upon themselves to swat down any behaviour that doesn't fit their own version of a code of conduct. That site claimed to have no rules, but had too many rules for me :)
Anybody here that doesn't know which board Dan is refering to?
(I didn't think so... )

Quote:
One thing that I like about this site is the easy flow of conversation, and no Self-appointed bullies full of Self-richeous indignation always at the ready to club over the head anyone who posts against their own version of the unwritten rules.
Evidently, you haven't been reading my tripe lately. ::)

Quote:
Perhaps a rule of no personal attacks might be good? Get a warning to knock it off from a moderator and after few times your shown the door.
Absolutely, but I think allowances need to be made as well. For instance, when is an attack really an attack? Things I viewed as attacks were often just other people just trying to crack innocent jokes. Some things that sounded very innocent turned out to be rather sly atacks--sometimes relying on "inside information" to which others weren't privy. One thing I used to consider (back before indigestion forced me to hang up my moderator's hat) was this: "Are the attacks repetative?" IMO that constitutes not just good natured fun or an occassional insult (all understandable) but harassment, and I had an iron-clad rule against harassment.

I do think there should be rules against real attacks and real harassment. As to all the merry-making-psychopaths here with their running-joke routines of mutual pseudo-harassment, well, the mods are gonna have to pass judgement on the basis of their personal understanding of those individuals.

At the same time newcomers to this site might need a "Guide to the Local Wildlife" so they aren't alarmed at all the growling and flaring of feathers and angry-sounding stomping that goes on in the local undergrowth.

Anybody volunteer to write one?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Code of conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
[quote author=dantama board=general thread=5124 post=93777 time=1215709372]
Anybody volunteer to write one?
R i t t i n g or Ritin (maybe Ritalin) is not my strong point, but it may not be a bad idea.. but when I was new I just took things very light from the more "senior" members.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #14

Code of conduct?

Quote:
I've also visited a site that had a debate area and found it to be a greater deterrent to the site. It can become too much of a distraction to the members so people don't talk about what's important, the bikes, their rides and their lives.
The one we had at MCUSA was eventually disbanded, because of a couple problems.

Problem number one was people couldn't follow the rule that: "What happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas." Folks can't just drag garbage all over the place if that is going to work.

Problem number two was that the mod staff got "defanged" (long story) and was not allowed to handle violators in an effective, decisive, and speedy manner. This lead to a lot of disrespect for the rules and those attempting to enforce them. Messes grew until they were impossible to clean up, and eventually I just let the place get bulldozed.

If we should attempt to have such a "War Room" here, we'd need to be very careful how it was incorporated and overseen, and that means a lot of work for the folks in charge of doing such things.

It's pro bono work, folks. Work without pay. Work having only one real reward, which is the joy of helping other people.

I gotta tell you all that that work is 90% easier when everybody on the forum errs on the side of caution and compassion when judging and replying to the words of others. I hope folks will do that for me too, as my "people skills" suck, and I am on occasion curmudgeonly in the extreme, and I know I'm going to step on toes blindly from time to time.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #15

Code of conduct?

Ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................................... ..., get OFF MY FOOT !!!!!!!!! J/K