Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Kickstand spring

Had stuff to do yesterday afternoon and I was going to ride the Nomad to git er done. Left work early and ran home to drop things off and grab a sandwich before I headed out. Finally jumped on the Nomad and put the kickstand up but it flopped back down. I got off and checked it out only to find the kickstand spring laying on the ground. It would not stay put so I decided to autopsy it to see what I could do.

Put the bike on the jack, with my adapter of course, and ran it in the air. Bolt holding the kickstand seemed to be loose so I decided to try to tighten it. Can't get to the nut on the bottom because the ignition interlock switch is in the way. Decided to remove that.

Bolt for that is hidden under the chrome case cover so I decided to take that off. It wraps around the shift lever shaft so that had to come off. Can't get the shift levers off with the floorboard in the way so it came off. Finally, I can get clear access to the bottom nut on the kickstand bolt. Was able to break it free but found that it is just a locknut. The bolt is threaded into the back side of the kickstand. Out came the bolt and now I see my problem.

The bolt hole through the frame is worn in an egg shape and the bolt shoulder is also notched out. This allows the kickstand to flop enough that the spring will not stay tight on the pegs. Don't know why it waited to fall off until I got to the garage but I'm glad it did.

My temp solution until I can get another bolt with a larger shoulder and drill out the frame hole to match is a one size fits all spring from Auto Zone. I installed it and pulled it tight around the spring posts, cut off the excess and I'm in business.

Now the interesting part. My kickstand spring is actually two springs forced together! Is this normal because it seems like overkill. The extra pressure on the bolt caused the frame to wear. It works much smoother with just the one spring that I have installed now.

My advice is that you spay the bolt shaft as best you can with WD40 (sorry Mac) or some other lubricant that won't gather dust. Had this happened someplace other than my garage I would have had a tough time getting home. Must be living right.

No, I did not get my other tasks completed. I had to leave those for later this week now.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #2

Kickstand spring

That's the normal spring. I had the same situation, and similarly replaced the spring with one I bought at Ace Hardware. To keep the new one on, I secured each end with a zip-tie. It's been three years or so now and I haven't lost it again. :)

When I lost mine, I was away from home and had to tie my kick stand up with a piece of rope . . . difficult to do while holding the bike up and leaning over the side to reach it all.
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #3

Kickstand spring

I should check mine, but it seems ok so far. It needs a drop of oil once in a while when it starts to feel stiff, but thats it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Kickstand spring

With the bolt out grease what ever you end up with as a hole. You might consider a silicon sleeve, as a bushing with self lubes, or bronze.

Every so often I lay down and lube stuff like floor board hinges, shift link linkage, and the side stand.

I did all that not long ago as my side stand was getting stiff from being to dry.

There are many places in the book where I do not agree with their soecs for nothing, and loctitem and I use grease, and or antiseize.

Now WD-40 is a cleaner and I have no problem with that, it will lube for a few days, and i have no problem with that. It doesn't seem to be a fuel like substance anymore and I have a big problem with that.

It will force out water sort of, but there is far better things to do that.

More or less it is gone after 3 days, so don't bet you just really lubed anything.

A little white lithium grease on that side stand and wiping off the excess goes a long way.

A little light machine oil on the shift linkage goes a long way. There still is this can thingy with a lever pump and a wand, made in China I know. But they still work just like they did in 1825.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #5

Kickstand spring

There still is this can thingy with a lever pump and a wand, made in China I know. But they still work just like they did in 1825.

VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Kickstand spring

mac looks good for 174 years old don't he TC??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Kickstand spring

Oh I go back a great deal farther than that.. I remember when China was known for muir, silks, and spices. Now all they have is cheap junk.

Come end of November I will be 6,058 years old....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #8

Kickstand spring

I wonder why they put a heavy double spring on these things when a single one will work? Seems like over kill.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Kickstand spring

A little word to the wise. In one of my saddle bags I keep electrical tape and some thin nylon rope. You never know when you might need that stuff.

Can't imagine why they would double up on the spring that way. I know I had better check mine and grease it and some other parts. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #10

Kickstand spring

I guess zip ties and electrical tape will be added to the "must have" list.
I hope I never have to deal with this,but I'll be prepared if I do.
Thanks guys.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #11

Kickstand spring

Zip ties, electrical tape, AND hose clamps, and an extra spring I also bought at ACE. Mine fell off in the second turn about a mile from the house one morning on the way to work. If you havent tried riding one of these things with a loose kick stand, weeelllll, you just haven't enough adventure in your life.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Kickstand spring

My best guess to a double spring, which I have by the way is of one breaks, you have a back up.. Too bad we don't have 2 tail lamp bulbs...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #13

Kickstand spring

I strongly suggest going to a single spring on the kickstand to avoid and egg shapped hole in your frame and a wayward spring.

Otherwise, keep the zip ties, electrical tape and rope handy.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Kickstand spring

How does one hold the bike level, get in your saddlebag to retrieve said zip locks or rope, then get down and apply said zip lock to hold up kick stand for temp fix until home?? :-)

Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #15

Kickstand spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
My best guess to a double spring, which I have by the way is of one breaks, you have a back up.. Too bad we don't have 2 tail lamp bulbs...
does the 1600 only have one tail lamp? My 1500 has two, I thought they all did?