Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Advanced Member

The great oil debate...

OK, here I go with the can-o-worms:

Which oil (brand,weight, dyno or synthetic) is best for our bikes? I have a '06 Nomad 1600FI and am coming up on the 500-mile service. Should I stick with the stock, recommended weight dyno oil (ie, Kawasaki/MoTul brand), or ???

Would it be advantageous for me to switch to a synthetic oil or is it too early?

What oil filter(s) are best? The house brand/Kawasaki? NAPA gold? Which filter(s) should I "avoid" (ie, which one's are el crappo? Fram?)

I'm certain this topic has been beaten to death, and YES, I did a search. "BUTTTTTT....." I wanted to ask it again in case any new info was available or new "news" has come to someone's attention.

Thanks a bunch,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #2

The great oil debate...

I also have an '06 I bought brand new in January of '07. I took mine in and had the dealer do the break in service. Which I wouldn't recommend because they scratched my saddle bag and didn't clean off the oil screen. If you want something done right do it yourself. I just changed my oil last weekend (1st oil change since the break in) at 5000 miles and used Rotella 5W 40 Full synthetic 16 bucks for a gallon jug at walmart and also used a walmart filter #ST7317. Took right around 3 3/4 quarts using that longer filter.

I personally don't believe it is too soon to got to synthetic. A friend of a friend of a friend is a chemist for an oil company and he stated synthetic oils are far superior to conventional and if he had a motorcycle he would use it. I think I read something from mobile 1 stating you can go straight to full synthetic on a brand new engine and they also guarentee its good for 15,000 miles.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
The great oil debate...

I think I'm having a flashback.........?????

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #4

The great oil debate...

you are............in the words of Yogi Berra "This is like deja vu all over again."

Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

The great oil debate...

Which is just as good as money!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
Advanced Member

The great oil debate...

No risk to the seals with the synthetic in there too early? I'm just askin'..... !!!

I also used the Shell Rotella full syn on my Boulevard C50T. I didn't notice a huge difference, but if it's better for the engine, then it's a no-brainer in my book. Gollum gets the best....

Daryl

Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #7

The great oil debate...

I run Mobil1 15-50 full synthetic in mine and it runs great. I run Rotella in my old 800 classic and I think the Rotella is actually smoother. I couldn't decide either a while back and decided to run both, one in each bike to decide... my conclusion? The Rotella I believe is smoother, the bike shifts easy, but the Mobil1 works great too. Can never go wrong with Mobil1. As far as a filter, I've always used trusty ole' Fram and have NEVER had a problem with them. I think a lot of the oppinions of oil filters is user error
I share you enthusiasm also about this site.... sometimes I'll almost fall asleep trying to stay awake to fill my brain with more Nomad info!!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

The great oil debate...

Myth, put in synthetics as soon as you want to.

Member # 0005

Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #9

The great oil debate...

Wolfman I agree, you gotta do it yourself if you can... nothing more heartbreaking than to shine up your ride every day (for me at least) and then take it in to get some work done and find a scratch some non-respectful mechanic left on your bike. I took mine in just to get the tires swapped out, picked it up with scratches on both sides of the rear fender and a nic on the front fender from where it looks like he dropped a screwdriver on it.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #10

The great oil debate...

Quote:
Myth, put in synthetics as soon as you want to.
Are you saying ,put in synthetics as soon as you want , is a myth?
Or are you saying something else is a myth and you should put in synthetics as soon as you want .
Hey just asking for the newguy
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 AM   #11

The great oil debate...

A Factory rep at Carlisle Bike week here in Pa. told me that the engines of today are buit to much tighter tolerences than that of the older ones and its ok to use synthetic from the begining. He also told me that a 06 Nomad should get 45-50 mpg when its broke in. So in my old school wisdom I waited until I had 3000 miles on mine before changing Amsoil. Good luck in your decision because every has their own idea of whats best.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #12
Advanced Member

The great oil debate...

Thanks, everyone! I have a NAPA store nearby and am wondering if anyone knows if there is a NAPA gold oil filter that'll work on the Nomad. I used to use the #1358 on the Boulevard C50T; seemed to work well.

Thanks again,
Daryl

Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #13

The great oil debate...

I run the V-TWIN Mobil1 synthetic. I noticed a difference in small things like when shifting to first gear there's less of a kick.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

The great oil debate...

See Wolfmans post above for all your oil changing needs. I understand a wise CME came his way!!!! right Wolfster??? LOL

Member # 0005

Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #15

The great oil debate...

right .,................sorry for the 16 hour later reply.....long day at work