Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
Ivan, would there be any problem with swapping out the reflashed ECU with a stock ECU? I have a couple buddies who would like to try your reflash in their bikes before deciding to go ahead with getting their own done, and I'd let them borrow mine for a day or two. And I have a spare stock ECU that I'd take with me on trips to northern Canada and Alaska due to scarcity of premium gas.
Almost 10,000 km on my reflash now and bike is running great. After swapping my throttle body my cold idle is 1500 rpm.
I thought the ignition key was coded to the ECU. Didn't know you could just swap ECUs like that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #422

Not on this bike..... Some other models have this, but it's common in other countries.
Not in North America.

Ivan

Old 04-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #423
Advanced Member

I would imagine you would just get the code 98 error, unhook the neg post for 5 seconds and be good to go.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #424
Advanced Member

Ivan's ECU flashed/living near Ottawa, Canada

Is anyone in Ottawa, Canada (or near) thinking of getting their ECU flashed by Ivan this summer?

Last edited by Lumberjack; 04-28-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #425

I received my Ivanized ECU today and had time for a little 20 mile ride on the toll road today at 80mph. No popping on decal at any speed. It is smooth and quick! I am like a kid with a new toy. I was running with 87 octane and no ping in any gear. However the temp was only 83 today. It will be sometime before I will know if the gas mileage improves because I can't get over how much the torque it seems to have now. It's going to be storming here the next few days so I am feeling like a caged cat. I want to get out and ride. I am glad that I waited to buy a tuner and saw all the write ups on Ivan's re-flash. Money well spent, even if I have to use 93 gas later if I get pinging in higher temps. :)

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #426

Got my ECU back yesterday and installed last night. Took a short ride and so far seems to be everything it's cracked up to be. Hoping for a longer 2 up ride tomorrow to give full test.
Racnray's throttle mod
Kuryakyn trunk rack
Kuryakyn longhorn offset hiway pegs
Grasshopper riders back rest

Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #427

Got the Vance & Hines slash cuts mounted and the Ivanized ECU installed but it's raining. Started it up in the garage and I really like the sound of the V & H pipes at idle. Nice bark blipping the throttle without being over the top loud. Can't wait for the rain to stop so I can get out and experience what everyone is talking about.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
Is anyone in Ottawa, Canada (or near) thinking of getting their ECU flashed by Ivan this summer?
My Vaq is now Ivanized, as well as my budd's Voyager. Both happy campers with the re-flash.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #429
Advanced Member

Wanted to update everyone on my pinging issue. To recap I had a ping in 5th at 70mph with a hard roll on, Ivan suggested it could be a gas issue. My testing has been delayed due to rain, finally far enough along to believe I can call this issue solved.

Added some octane booster to the suspected bad gas. Problem instantly went away. Ran that tank to near empty. Then I filled up with 93 and took it through some street driving for a bit to get it good and warmed up. Hopped on the free way for 30 miles or so. I probably went from 70 to 90 20 times WOT. Up hills, down hills...flat. Hit it all. Then tried 6th at 65...low rpms in a high gear is always a great way to generate a ping.

Not a single ping.

So it was the gas, but bad gas is really rare plus getting it just before I park it to remove the ECU for flashing seems like a hell of a coincidence.

I suspect I am a dumbass, and grabbed the wrong pump handle and put regular in it. But thankfully I can't prove that.

So lets carry on praising the genius that is Ivan.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #430

What a pain in the gas! . Glad its been resolved. Cheers

Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #431
Advanced Member

Since the flash I have been running 92 ethanol-free gas and the bike runs smooth, spot on especially just cruising along at 70 in 6th. And yes, rolling it on, even in 6th it pulls so strongly now that passing is a snap. And with the low fuel prices premium fuel is still very affordable and nets greater fuel mileage as well.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #432
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
spot on especially just cruising along at 70 in 6th. And yes, rolling it on, even in 6th it pulls so strongly now that passing is a snap.
That is the coolest part that I have noticed, can roll in 6th at 70 75 now and still be able to pass. No lugging, it just goes. Same thing in corners, don't have to downshift to get out of the corner.

Really awesome stuff.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #433

Finally stopped raining here so I went home for lunch to get the bike. Ivan is a f!@%king genius! I have to say I've been a little disappointed with this bike. When I picked it up from the dealer my first impression was, this is 1700 ccs? Why does it even have a 6th, it can't use it. No more! Now short shifting actually feels right and even roll ons from 65 mph feel good. But rolling on from 80? Oh man! Can't wait to see what the Thunder Mfg breather does for it, if they ever send the damn thing. It's been almost two weeks and they haven't even shipped merchandise they tell me is in stock. I hope they're not in financial trouble or something and I just get screwed.

Last edited by terryd; 05-02-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #434
Advanced Member

terryd...you don't have to worry about Thunder, they will be around for a long time. Your freight should show up any day now. I have some of their stuff and experienced the same thing. I am currently running the Thunder tornado breather, having relocated and re-wired the temp sensor up to the front of the bike and love the performance. It feels like the bike runs with more power with the Thunder after the ecu flash than the Roaring Toyz unit having tried both. Thunder stuff is always good quality and performance tested before they go into production for sale. You will like it whether it is the tornado kit like mine or the tear-drop kit.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
terryd...you don't have to worry about Thunder, they will be around for a long time. Your freight should show up any day now. I have some of their stuff and experienced the same thing. I am currently running the Thunder tornado breather, having relocated and re-wired the temp sensor up to the front of the bike and love the performance. It feels like the bike runs with more power with the Thunder after the ecu flash than the Roaring Toyz unit having tried both. Thunder stuff is always good quality and performance tested before they go into production for sale. You will like it whether it is the tornado kit like mine or the tear-drop kit.
Thanks for reassuring me. I'm just glad Ivan's flash works fine whether stock or breather kit installed so I don't have to worry about running too rich until the kit arrives. I don't quite understand how that's possible but I trust the guy. It would be nice if Ivan could describe why that's so for curiosity's sake. I've always thought a different map was required for every little change you make to the air flow and exhaust.