Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Graphic design cost and airbrush/silk screen

I'm thinking of having a custom graphic made for the back of my vest and leather jacket. I got a price online for 140.00 for the graphic work. Does that seem like a reasonable price? I'm also going to have this either airbrushed or silk screened on. Which would last longer and does anyone have any idea of prices for silk screen or airbrush work?

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

Not sure if it is good or bad, But Try this place,, You will be talking to Matt He runs http://thesabrehood.org/thehood/forum.php Know him for years since I had my Honda Sabre! He is retired Air Force and works out of his house. Matt does great work and is also on Face Book.. Worth a shot! He knows me more by RADCO then by real name. I still hang in hos forums as well
http://dryheatembroidery.com/

Rich

Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #3

Thanks Rich I'll take a look.

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 03-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #4

I read this info on line, my help, may not

When someone airbrushes a design on a leather jacket, they first strip the part to be done in rubbing alcohol or something like that. You need to get any oils and sealer off so the paint bonds to the leather. Once it’s dry they then make the background, if any, then the foreground. Depending on how complex the design is there can be anywhere from 3 to 30 layers of airbrush paint on it!

All of those are very thin, just a spray. Then once it cures they often put a clear coat over the whole thing to protect it and make the colors stand out. For the best type of design it’s worth the time and money to find someone who does it regularly for a living. Getting some guy who airbrushes T shirts will not know about how to paint on leather.
Leather jacket designs can be fully free hand or a mix of free hand and stencils. Getting someone who is good at freehand airbrushing will get you a much better looking design, and more unique too. They can pretty much do anything you want them to.
Most free hand artist will charge from $100.00 to $400.00 bucks for a custom design. That’s more than the leather jacket itself cost most likely. It’s up to you how much the design means to you. A little monogram, eagle or a touch of flames on the sleeves should be much less.
lets say you find a good airbrush artist and get your leather jacket done, how do you care for it?
Well there are a few problems with an airbrushed design. It bonds to the leather a little, but it’s still just paint. So any scratches or nicks will remove the paint. When you clean it, hand wash it with a mild soap and gently wash the surface. Never use any chemicals on it! Taking it to a dry cleaner might ruin the design if they don’t know how to care for one.
Also, the paint and clear coat tends to block any conditioner you put on it to help the leather. So it might start to dry out under the design. However if you had good treated leather to begin with the paint should seal it in and preserve it. The more exposed to sunlight it is, the faster the colors will fade.
If an airbrushed design sounds like too much work, you can also get patches and embossed designs on them. I’ll make a post about each some other time. So I hope that gives you a little insight about getting a leather jacket airbrushed design. Get a good artist, pick out a custom design, and you’ll have a beautiful design on your favorite leather jacket that means so much more to you!
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

Thanks Tim. Maybe I'll look at embroidery instead as Rich posted a link. I thought the paint would have held up better than most things but I was wrong.

2010 Nomad 1700

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #6

Oooops sorry I missed the Silk screen part! But I also agree embroidering would hold up better! Look at silk screened shirts. I used to silk screen years ago with my brother in law,, It will crack over time.
Do not have any input on a silk screener anymore, My B/I/L been dead several years

Old 03-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #7

I have thought about getting the pic of my Dad that is my avitar put on the back of my leather jacket.
The only way I can see that possible is airbrushing.
Do you think it could be silk screened?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #8

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I read this info on line, my help, may not

When someone airbrushes a design on a leather jacket, they first strip the part to be done in rubbing alcohol or something like that. You need to get any oils and sealer off so the paint bonds to the leather. Once it’s dry they then make the background, if any, then the foreground. Depending on how complex the design is there can be anywhere from 3 to 30 layers of airbrush paint on it!

All of those are very thin, just a spray. Then once it cures they often put a clear coat over the whole thing to protect it and make the colors stand out. For the best type of design it’s worth the time and money to find someone who does it regularly for a living. Getting some guy who airbrushes T shirts will not know about how to paint on leather.
Leather jacket designs can be fully free hand or a mix of free hand and stencils. Getting someone who is good at freehand airbrushing will get you a much better looking design, and more unique too. They can pretty much do anything you want them to.
Most free hand artist will charge from $100.00 to $400.00 bucks for a custom design. That’s more than the leather jacket itself cost most likely. It’s up to you how much the design means to you. A little monogram, eagle or a touch of flames on the sleeves should be much less.
lets say you find a good airbrush artist and get your leather jacket done, how do you care for it?
Well there are a few problems with an airbrushed design. It bonds to the leather a little, but it’s still just paint. So any scratches or nicks will remove the paint. When you clean it, hand wash it with a mild soap and gently wash the surface. Never use any chemicals on it! Taking it to a dry cleaner might ruin the design if they don’t know how to care for one.
Also, the paint and clear coat tends to block any conditioner you put on it to help the leather. So it might start to dry out under the design. However if you had good treated leather to begin with the paint should seal it in and preserve it. The more exposed to sunlight it is, the faster the colors will fade.
If an airbrushed design sounds like too much work, you can also get patches and embossed designs on them. I’ll make a post about each some other time. So I hope that gives you a little insight about getting a leather jacket airbrushed design. Get a good artist, pick out a custom design, and you’ll have a beautiful design on your favorite leather jacket that means so much more to you!
We definitely godda get that "Dear Top Cat" sub-board a going!

The executives up in here wont go for it. I bet it's 'cause they din't think of it first.

Prolly get fulled up with remarks from the Wis Asses, and they know who they are.

The whole lot of 'em get on my nerves.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
I have thought about getting the pic of my Dad that is my avitar put on the back of my leather jacket.
TC IMO Air brushing would be the way to go. Colors can be blended better the silk screening, In Silk screening the forms are cut out by hand
( at least that's what we did years ago) so for a pic of your dad the detail would not be there. But with todays hi tech gismos they I assume cut by a pc type of machine. A good airbrush artist can my a pic look real:) jus my 2 cents from a old fart

Old 03-21-2015, 06:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Tim, you could have a place transfer the picture to a blank cloth patch, and then have it sewn onto your jacket. I have seen pictures screened onto cloth patches and it looked good -- just like the picture the people used. Just an idea for the cool pic of your father...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417