Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

2010 Nomad Electrical

I tried to post in electrical but wouldn't let me. I went to take a ride this weekend and climbed on the bike and no juice what so ever. Tried to jump it and then put on the battery charger but nothing would get any power. it was fine a week and a half ago but now no indicator lights or anything anybody have any ideas?? I checked all the fuses and checked the battery connections and the battery has 11.87 volts. any help would be great

thanks a head of time
Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

11.87 volts is pretty much a dead battery. Your battery should read at least 12.5 up 13 volts. You could try charging it with a decent charger, not a tender it would take for ever, but your battery may be finished. I would pull it out and get it load tested at an auto parts store.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

Question Kill Switch

Are you sure that the Kill Switch wasn't on

If you had a charger on the battery then you should have gotten power to the system.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
Are you sure that the Kill Switch wasn't on

If you had a charger on the battery then you should have gotten power to the system.
Plus if he tried to jump it as he states it should have started and run as long as the jumper cables were still connected even if the battery was dead.
Yes, speaking from experience
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #5

thanks for the replies, I tried all that stuff first. I put it on a good battery charger overnight and the kill switch was not on, didn't make any difference. I have never worked on a motorcycle may just have to load it up for a trip to the shop.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #6

Save yourself some work loading the bike and possibly some cash, how did you determine 11.87 volts from the charger display or a seperate test with a volt meter? If you have a volt meter, remove the battery leads, disconnect the neg wire first. Check the voltage reading if it is still below 12 I doubt the bike will start but there should have been some life, maybe a click at the starter relay. Put the charger on the battery, wait a bit and measure the battery with the volt meter and charger going, you should see voltage of high 13's proving the charger is working, if not you charger will never charge the battery. Leave it charging overnight if that test was ok. Remove the charger in the morning and wait about an hour for the surface charge to calm down. Then check the reading, you should see high 12's or even 13 on the volt meter, if it is still below 12 volts, your battery won't take a charge.

Besides the obvious fuses, on our 1600 Nomad there is a main fuse that is kinda hidden in the harness behind the fuse block. It may be a similar way on your 1700. If that fuse is blown you would see no power anywhere. Just throwing a guess out here but sounds like your battery was discharged or going south and possibly during the boosting or charging you might of accidently shorted a lead and blown the main fuse.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

thanks CNC I will dig a little deeper, I thought there might be a fusible link or something. Just not having any any indicator lights or the normal click leads me to think about the main fuse too.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Top Contributor

There is a 30 amp main fuse. It should be near the starter relay.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 11-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #9

Not the main fuse, or the kill switch still working my way through it.