Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #1

New Nomad owner from NC

Hi all. Wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I've recently purchased a 2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad sidecar rig to allow my son to go on rides with my wife an I... making our motorcycle hobby a family affair. So far, it's been great. My son loves it, and I have enjoyed the Nomad. I'm 6'5" and it fits me great!

I'm looking forward to taking off the sidecar and seeing what the 1600 can do without the added weight/cumbersome handling. I was hoping to use the Nomad as a touring bike for longer trips. My first bike was a Yamaha V Star 1100... and as much as I appreciate that bike getting me into motorcycling, Ii realized pretty quick it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I'm new-ish to motorcycling, though I rode a scooter for a number of years in and after college. I knew I wanted to upgrade, but couldn't justify the cost. Finally decided to bite the bullet in January, my wife soon followed, and now we're really enjoying it and the adventures it brings.

Other bikes I ride:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 (commuting/twisties)
2002 Yamaha V Star 1100 (first bike, looking to sell if anyone's interested )

As far as some of the rides I've thought about doing, I have considered:
Ride the whole length of the Blue Ridge Parkway
Ride to the beach (family in Wilmington, maybe to the outer banks)
Ride to Minneapolis to visit friends
Iron Butt Association Saddlesore 1000 (may take me a while to work up to this)

I like the Nomad the way it is , but am probably looking to switch out to a handlebar with less pullback/angle (piloting the hack is hell on my wrists) and switching over the the Kuryakyn grips I liked on my Star. If you guys have any other suggestions, let me know. I'm sure I'll be making a few posts here and there and reading a whole lot more while I learn this new ride! Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads