Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #1

Scraping the boards video

I made a video today of some curves up a local canyon riding fast enough to scrape the boards. (From earlier thread about scraping the boards).

If your connection and settings are like mine, hit pause when it starts and wait for it to download :) And I forgot how much Youtube degrades a big file.

I noticed that I do scrape the hard parts beyond the hinge, but as soon as I do I lift and just drag the spring loaded part.

Most of these corners are in the 40mph range, marked lower. I refined some of my thoughts on this ride. Most 40mph marked turns can be taken (I mean physical limits of the bike, not rider) at 80mph, and I have regularly. But I think doing a 45mph marked at 90 is probably about the limit of the doubling scale. I doubt that you could take a 60mph marked at 120mph. (that's if a Nomad could do 120).

Similarly, the 15mph ones I can only do at 25mph, not double; and that feels damn fast. So there is a middle ground, not too low, and not too high where the doubling rule of thumb works.

Of course this isn't "safety advice" this is just saying what the physical properties of the bike can do.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to trevwales

Bet you worried that cyclist!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #3

Dan's a ridin' man. Loved the parking lot practice video. If you haven't done Deals Gap, let me know if you ever decide to. I'd like to be there.

Also, please tell me this isn't someone on this forum:

Old 10-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #4

Ya, I wonder what that cyclist thought when he heard SCRAAAAAPE! Definitly faster than I take the turns!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
VBA Founder

I take turns that fast, especially at Deal's Gap.....but I would love to do a turn around like you do Dan. I've got to practice that.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip

I would love to do a turn around like you do Dan. I've got to practice that.
Trip, with a good weekends practice, I think almost everyone could do a U Turn like that. I think that it makes for a safer ride, in addition to being easier.

This video was supposed to be different than my usual skate park/off-road type videos. Those others are just to feed my ego :)
This one is supposed to dispel the myth that you will lose traction leaned over like that.

So if you go into a corner too hot, and are afraid to lean further for fear of losing traction, this was supposed to make you realize you can keep on leaning and it is a better opinion than hitting the brakes and heading off the road on the outside of the turn.

I don't know if it has convinced anyone, it is a poor quality video. Youtube takes a pretty clear video and kind of ruins it. I had hoped that it would pick up throttle response and gear shifts better.

When I slowed for corners I was doing rev matching downshifts just prior to, or at the corner. All the video is good for now is showing that the corners can easily be done scraping.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #7

I try not to scrape as much as possible ... but only because I have Aromach Hwy pegs that mount underneath the floor boards. The more I scrape ... the less bolts I have holding my not so cheap hwy pegs. However, I do from time to time get caught up in the moment on twisty mountain roads ... and the sparks fly. I have been known to forget I'm pulling the trailer at times while scraping in the twisties. Not good.

BTW ... That was some fine riding ...

Old 10-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #8

Dan I love it! I am living vicariously through you brother. If I did that my wife would beat the sh*t out of me! I still hear about the time I did a wheelie with her on the back (accidentally). I underestimated the change in center of gravity with her on. It was on my old Vmax. A buddy thought his roadking would beat it. I nailed it from the line and the front tire came about 2 feet off the ground. She didn't notice and wouldn't have even known if my buddy hadn't said something at the next stop. That little stunt cost me about $700. Had to buy her a backrest after that. Vmax backrests are only available through the dealer, ouch. She still bitches about it. She loves the Nomad backrest, much bigger. Go Figure. I can't complain though it was the main selling point for her to ok the purchase.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Top Contributor

I think it's good to know the limits. It's also good to know that when you scrape a board you haven't reached the limit.

The first time I scraped a board I instantly straightened up. As a result my turn widened up to the point where I went off the pavement onto the grass shoulder. No harm as a result but it did teach me something. It taught me that I needed to get a little smarter about my riding and I did.

I don't intentionally try to scrape my boards when riding but when I do it doesn't make me panic or think I'm screwing up somehow.

The last time I scraped was maybe a month ago. I was entering a fairly sharp right hand curve at maybe 30 mph. A pick-up coming the opposite way was crowding the center line a little so I tightened my line which caused the board to scrape. No worries, let her drag.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Dan,
I almost tossed my dinner watching that U-turn.... ! How in the world did you learn to do that? My U-turns are slow and cautious...especially with the Missus on the back!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 11-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
Dan,
I almost tossed my dinner watching that U-turn.... ! How in the world did you learn to do that? My U-turns are slow and cautious...especially with the Missus on the back!
netnorske, I learned from a police motor officer that I saw practicing in a parking lot back in 99. He was very approachable and showed me how.

Soon it became very easy to do, and it's a lot safer when you can do it. I checked on the video and you can do a u turn in 4 seconds. If you look for oncoming traffic, and have been watching your mirrors you can whip around fast and get moving again.

If you had to slow, turn, back up, go again and turn, that takes a lot more time, and leaves you more vulnerable to being stuck turning when traffic approaches. It also makes parking lot/gas station manoeuvres a lot easier too.

Once you can do it, it becomes fun to do just for fun. When I'm making a u turn from a left turn lane, I always do it into the first oncoming lane just for fun. Anyone can do it with some practice.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #12

Thanks, Dan, for the video and comments. Your U-turns are magnificent. I am going to start practicing. Thanks again, BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 11-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #13

I scrape more than I like to.Try not to anymore.
Great video.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #14

WOW! That video was SO GREAT! Boy, that U-Turn was AMAZING! You really are "one" with your bike, huh?!!!

I can't wait to show hubby this video!!! He's been jealous seeing my 900 scrape boards so easily while he has trouble doing it on the Nomad. IT CAN BE DONE!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069