Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Advanced Member

How to adjust mirror?

Greetings All,

Embarassed to ask but too frustrated not to, so here it goes:

I purchased a set of Arlen Ness mirrors for my '06 Nomad 1600. The left one is on and adjusted nicely. The right one is on but for some reason I am unable to get it to cinch down securely at the point where it's adjusted to how I want it.

The mirrors have a stud coming out the bottom which screws into the female end (the part that is mounted to the handlebar) and there is a nut on the stud threads used for the adjustment.

I threaded then tightened the right mirror down just as I did the left mirror. I then cinched the nut up to the mirror based just as I did on the left mirror, but for some reason, the mirror still "flails", is "loose and rotates" and overall is not securely set where I want it to be.

Any clues what I'm doing wrong? Is the nut supposed to be at the bottom of the stud or the top when all is said, done and adjusted? Maybe I've got it bass-ackward???

Feeling stupid but mostly frustrated,
Daryl

Thanks and have a Happy Memorial Day!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

How to adjust mirror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds06nomad
Greetings All,

Embarassed to ask but too frustrated not to, so here it goes:

I purchased a set of Arlen Ness mirrors for my '06 Nomad 1600. The left one is on and adjusted nicely. The right one is on but for some reason I am unable to get it to cinch down securely at the point where it's adjusted to how I want it.

The mirrors have a stud coming out the bottom which screws into the female end (the part that is mounted to the handlebar) and there is a nut on the stud threads used for the adjustment.

I threaded then tightened the right mirror down just as I did the left mirror. I then cinched the nut up to the mirror based just as I did on the left mirror, but for some reason, the mirror still "flails", is "loose and rotates" and overall is not securely set where I want it to be.

Any clues what I'm doing wrong? Is the nut supposed to be at the bottom of the stud or the top when all is said, done and adjusted? Maybe I've got it bass-ackward???

Feeling stupid but mostly frustrated,
Daryl

Thanks and have a Happy Memorial Day!
Daryl, Don't know about Ness's mirrors but some after-market mirrors on one of them, it doesn't have reverse threads, like the OEM one's do, not sure if this is the case or not? Do you have the adapters with yours?
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider