Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman77 View Post
Quick question about this mod...all the responses from the happy customers are great and make me want to get this. But I haven't seen anyone ask, or RACNRAY offer up (I may have missed it elsewhere), why did Kawasaki intentionally design the throttle operation the way they did? Being an engineer myself, there must have been a reason they designed the throttle this way. By modification, is there an important function of the original design that is now by-passed and being overlooked such that there may be unintended consequences?
When I bought my Vaq in April 2011 I already had experience with RBW systems on sportbikes. For the most part they operated as good or better than non RBW systems.

During that first 1000 miles I was learnin a lot bout this 1700, and noticed an unacceptable amount of lag in relation to my throttle inputs. Also in 2011 I was celebrating my 35th year as a m/c technician and into my 21 first year of owning my own performance shop. So I was starting to question the who/what/whys of this lag. All I knew is I thought it was unacceptable and planned on researching further in my first dyno session with the skoot.

I learned in that session what I already knew, came up with my mod, documented the improvements on my dyno and backed those up with the "real world" seat of the pants impression on my first ride.

I included these findings in a thread and what happened was 1700 owners who had their skoots b4 I bought mine ended up asking about the mod, continuously. So a local 1700 owner came to my shop, we did the mod, and he posted his results, which were positive.

That's the history. Anyways, here we are 4 + years later and I still don't know why Kawi programmed such a delay. For me, an it seems anyone who has done this mod, we all feel this is what Kawi should have done.

Engineers or committees of engineers decide things for reasons too numerous to list, so whatever reason(s) they had I guess I just don't agree with. Engineers are human and can make mistakes or make bad judgment calls. And the hundreds of those with my mod will prolly agree.

RACNRAY

There are no consequences, just benefits

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #167

Thanks! Now I just need to decide if I want to modify my stock grip or get your modified Kuyakyns!

Old 12-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman77 View Post
Thanks! Now I just need to decide if I want to modify my stock grip or get your modified Kuyakyns!
In my and many other's opinions and experiences Kurys or Avons are a big improvement in comfort over the stockers. If you have big hands the Kurys are the better choice, the Avons fall in the middle size wise.

RACNRAY

Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #169
Advanced Member

Ray nails it, Kurys for big hands, Avons are a tad more comfortable but smaller. I would not invest in this mod with the stock grips....they wear quickly and get slippery over the miles.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #170

Another satisfied customer here. Got heated Avons from Ray a year ago and the mod is all people say it is. Heated ones are nice for us Canadian boys.

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #171
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Ray nails it, Kurys for big hands, Avons are a tad more comfortable but smaller. I would not invest in this mod with the stock grips....they wear quickly and get slippery over the miles.
I know it. I did the mod when the bike 100 miles on it. Took it to Ray's shop and he hooked me up. I think its time to get black Kurys for my Vaq with the mod. Hopefully see Ray again before Xmas.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
YEP...right on the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjob View Post
Another satisfied customer here. Got heated Avons from Ray a year ago and the mod is all people say it is. Heated ones are nice for us Canadian boys.
THANX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I know it. I did the mod when the bike 100 miles on it. Took it to Ray's shop and he hooked me up. I think its time to get black Kurys for my Vaq with the mod. Hopefully see Ray again before Xmas.
I know u've been a good boy this year...you bought a VAQUERO!!!

RACNRAY

Old 12-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #173

Greetings,
What everyone else has already said. I'll add this, it was the FIRST mod performed on my Vaq. It would be the last mod undone...
(Take a look at my sig - that is the order of the changes...)

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
greetings,
what everyone else has already said. I'll add this, it was the first mod performed on my vaq. It would be the last mod undone...
(take a look at my sig - that is the order of the changes...)

ride safe,
smokier
very cool...thanx!!!

Racnray

Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #175

Throttle mod

Does anyone know if Ray is still making this mod and how to get in touch with him to purchase it or if there is anything else that can be done to get rid of this dang throttle lag?

Old 02-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #176
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperloe View Post
Does anyone know if Ray is still making this mod and how to get in touch with him to purchase it or if there is anything else that can be done to get rid of this dang throttle lag?
Send him a PM. I have seen him around here, but he sold his Kawasaki I believe. He owns the machine shop that makes them, so I would be shocked if he stopped making them.

The other option for the lag is to get your ECU reflashed by Ivan.

Lots of threads around here on it but bottom line: Lag is gone, bike runs like a raped ape now, runs a bit cooler..it is totally awesome. Everyone, including me, is really thrilled with it. Downside is it is obviously more expensive and requires premium gas, and you have to send your ECU in to him, but certainly delivers a ton more.

Ivan is totally legit, he is a god at flashing ECU's and has been doing it for some time. The sportbike crowd idolizes him, and rightly so.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #177

Thanks for the info. I'm new here. Who is Ivan that flashes the ECU?

Old 02-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #178

Quote:
Info sent via pm.

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #179
Top Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm new here. Who is Ivan that flashes the ECU?
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/vn1700.htm

Old 08-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #180

Due to, I guess it's called "popular demand", I am re-stocking Kuryakyn ISO grips in chrome and black already modified and ready to send out. The less popular Avon's will have to be ordered.

THANX
RACNRAY