Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #151
Advanced Member

This is always a topic at work. "Throttle by wire" vs. "Drive by Wire". One is for throttle (engine RPM), and one is for steering (no physical link between steering wheel and rack & pinion). Most people confuse "Drive by Wire" as meaning "Throttle by Wire". But there is a difference. There are no vehicles currently using "Drive by Wire" however it has been approved for use. It would greatly simplify L/R hand drive vehicles for using a common architecture because of the lack of a physical link between the steering wheel and rack allows easy movement of the steering wheel from Left to Right.
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav1 View Post
Just installed Ray's throttle mod (Avon Grips) and am adding my "shout out" for this mod. My Vaq gave me fits in parking lots with its incessantly jerking on-off throttle. There was just no way to ride smoothly at slow speed without feathering the clutch constantly. Thanks Ray for a mod that has really made a positive difference! Oh yea, and the installation instructions were excellent.
THANX...ENJOY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koga View Post
Can you pm me on how to order. Thanks, Larry G
PM SENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0vationdave View Post
This is always a topic at work. "Throttle by wire" vs. "Drive by Wire". One is for throttle (engine RPM), and one is for steering (no physical link between steering wheel and rack & pinion). Most people confuse "Drive by Wire" as meaning "Throttle by Wire". But there is a difference. There are no vehicles currently using "Drive by Wire" however it has been approved for use. It would greatly simplify L/R hand drive vehicles for using a common architecture because of the lack of a physical link between the steering wheel and rack allows easy movement of the steering wheel from Left to Right.
And there ya go!! Not knowin much about the 4 wheel stuff goin on I did not know about "drive by wire", thanx for the info.

RACNRAY

Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #153

Just another plug for RACNRAY's throttle mod. I called Ray late last week to order a set of his Avon grips with the mod for my '11 Voyager. Ray was great on the phone. He patiently answered all my questions and even told me to call him on his cell if I had questions during the install even though he would be on vacation (Who does that!?). Any way, the grips showed up a few days later, I followed Ray's SPOT-ON installation instructions (didn't have to bother him on his vacation) and, WOW, they perform exactly how everyone has claimed! MUCH more precise throttle inputs and control with almost non-existent lag and far easier slow speed maneuvering of the bike. If you're "on the fence" about this mod, get the hell off and order it from Ray, ASAP. I can't think of a more practical and worthwhile modification you can do to improve throttle response on these bikes. THANKS, RAY!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #154

THANK YOU for the kind words and glad you like the improvements. ENJOY!!

RACNRAY

Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 AM   #155

Avon Grips from RACNRAY

I bought modified Avon grips from RacnRay and installed them on my '09 Nomad yesterday. It only took about 15 minutes and was really easy. Ray's instructions were bang on!

Took the bike out today for a run and I was amazed at the difference. Much better throttle response. No throttle lag at all. I also found I could ride at just above idle in parking lots much easier.

Totally happy with this mod. Thank you very much, Ray

'09 Vulcan Nomad

"Ride like they can't see you"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri178 View Post
i bought modified avon grips from racnray and installed them on my '09 nomad yesterday. It only took about 15 minutes and was really easy. Ray's instructions were bang on!

Took the bike out today for a run and i was amazed at the difference. Much better throttle response. No throttle lag at all. I also found i could ride at just above idle in parking lots much easier.

Totally happy with this mod. Thank you very much, ray
Glad to hear!!!

Thanx

RACNRAY

Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #157

throttle mod

Hi!! very interested in buying your throttle mod for my 2012 vaquero please send info to get in touch with you... Thanks Sandi

Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #158

Wanted to add that I got my Avon grips with mod installed and I am loving the grips and the positive response now! Thanks Racnray!
VBA#2803

"It takes all types to make up this world and not one of them is missing."

Old 08-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandollar1700 View Post
Hi!! very interested in buying your throttle mod for my 2012 vaquero please send info to get in touch with you... Thanks Sandi
info sent...THANX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balquin View Post
Wanted to add that I got my Avon grips with mod installed and I am loving the grips and the positive response now! Thanks Racnray!
GLAD TO HEAR...ENJOY!!

RACNRAY

Old 04-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #160

Ray,

Just wanted to say thanks for the grips. Ordered them last Wednesday I think after talking with you in the morning and had them in my hands in Colorado on Friday.

Install was smooth but I had to destroy the end cap on the left factory one, it was glued onto the threads for the bar. Adjustment instructions were easy to follow and it made a very noticeable difference transitioning from idle to power in corners. It seemed a little wonky before and I couldn't get use to where it would actually roll on the throttle. No issues now.

Your modifications to the ISO grip was super clean in it's fit and finish.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken Blowout View Post
Ray,

Just wanted to say thanks for the grips. Ordered them last Wednesday I think after talking with you in the morning and had them in my hands in Colorado on Friday.

Install was smooth but I had to destroy the end cap on the left factory one, it was glued onto the threads for the bar. Adjustment instructions were easy to follow and it made a very noticeable difference transitioning from idle to power in corners. It seemed a little wonky before and I couldn't get use to where it would actually roll on the throttle. No issues now.

Your modifications to the ISO grip was super clean in it's fit and finish.
VERY GLAD to hear. It's good to have better control when ridin our skoots. It is not uncommon to mess up that chrome left cap, they are tight and glued on as you said.

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 04-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #162

By the way Ray, if you have any use for my almost new right hand grip to use in a rotation of shipping out to customers in exchange for theirs, I can ship it into you. I've got nothing else to do with it so I thought you might put it to use.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken Blowout View Post
By the way Ray, if you have any use for my almost new right hand grip to use in a rotation of shipping out to customers in exchange for theirs, I can ship it into you. I've got nothing else to do with it so I thought you might put it to use.
Thanx for the offer, send it over and i'll take care of you $$ wise.

RAY

Old 12-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #164

Quick question about this mod...all the responses from the happy customers are great and make me want to get this. But I haven't seen anyone ask, or RACNRAY offer up (I may have missed it elsewhere), why did Kawasaki intentionally design the throttle operation the way they did? Being an engineer myself, there must have been a reason they designed the throttle this way. By modification, is there an important function of the original design that is now by-passed and being overlooked such that there may be unintended consequences?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #165
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman77 View Post
Quick question about this mod...all the responses from the happy customers are great and make me want to get this. But I haven't seen anyone ask, or RACNRAY offer up (I may have missed it elsewhere), why did Kawasaki intentionally design the throttle operation the way they did? Being an engineer myself, there must have been a reason they designed the throttle this way. By modification, is there an important function of the original design that is now by-passed and being overlooked such that there may be unintended consequences?
Either the engineers messed up, or they have a different view of how a throttle should respond than many of us do. As for unintended consequences, this is just a mechanical mod to make the grip pull the wire differently than the factory does. We could accomplish the same thing if our wrists were fast enough and able to make the adjustments...so no way we have done any harm here.

I can't prove there are none, but far too many of us have tons of miles with the mod installed with zero issues for me to think there are any unknown consequences.