Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Thumbs Up RacnRay Throttle mod

Well after much reading and wondering plus AZCruzer's pressure I bought and installed RacnRay throttle for my Vaq. I really was somewhat skeptical but, I thought, I could always keep the stock throttle and send the mod back if it didn't work. Well the throttle showed up yesterday and I installed it this morning ----must have taken 10-15 minutes and his instructions (on another forum) were excellent! Took the bike out and I was amazed that such a simple fix made such a difference. I have to say that lagging throttle is no longer and it is quite easy to hold a low rpm steady throttle without having the jerky movement that I had had previously. I also notice a big difference on starting out from a dead stop in traffic, I guess I hadn't previously realized how much "lag" there was.
I do not work for or know this man or sell for him or have any other connection other than I bought this throttle mod. I am very, very pleased!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

Sounds like ray has a believer LOL
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #3

I installed mine last week too. Amazing difference in feeling of control and power. -I'm a believer too
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #4

we used to modify our throttle's all the time on the old Z1's
never really thought about doing it to my nomad till you guys started talking about it. Think I will modify one and see how it works
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #5

I had it done. I was amazed how well the bike performed afterward. I also did the air temp sensor relocation from the air box to the frame neck area. Got rid of the lean mixture on this bike. Did loose 1-2 mpg but a good trade off.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
I had it done. I was amazed how well the bike performed afterward. I also did the air temp sensor relocation from the air box to the frame neck area. Got rid of the lean mixture on this bike. Did loose 1-2 mpg but a good trade off.
Please explain the air temp sensor relocation. I have an 08 Nomad with Joe's dual plate intake would this be beneficial.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Last edited by recumbentbob; 05-22-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Please explain the air temp sensor relocation. I have an 08 Nomad with Joe's dual plate intake would this be beneficial.
I got this mod from Racnray. He also moved his airtemp sensor. It is located in the airbox on the 1700's. I added about a foot on wire to get it to the front of the bike to be able to read actual air temp not heated up airbox temp. Mind you my bike is stock. They run lean. Racnray has performance mods and i talked to him on the phone and he was running to rich after the airtemp relocate. So with the dual plate did that richen up your mixture. If it did you may run to rich with this mod. heres 2 pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00873.jpg (89.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00874.jpg (94.4 KB, 157 views)

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #8

Great mod, excellent customer service, fantastic communication and a hell of a nice guy. Wish I lived near him for service. Thanks again Ray!!

Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #9

Hello all! I'm new here, just got my 2012 Voyager and already have 700 miles in after three weeks. I love this bike and I am doing some mods to fine tune it to my liking. I will do Ray's throttle mod for quicker more refined response, but I am interested in the relocation of the air sensor from the air box to the neck area? Is there a link to a post I could have please?
I already have the K&N air filter, my Cobra slip ons come in this week so I really am just trying to do things I feel are needed for my own taste...which is just a little better performance, sound and style. I also ride a 2006 Anniversary edition R1, so when I have the need for real power and speed, I just take old Bumblebee out for a ride...Vulcan Vella is for that cruising spirit and to relax and just ride and lose myself in my bike and this wonderful country of ours. HAPPY VETERANS DAY!! To all those vets here. I am proud to have served and fought by your side to preserve the American way!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRod View Post
Hello all! I'm new here, just got my 2012 Voyager and already have 700 miles in after three weeks. I love this bike and I am doing some mods to fine tune it to my liking. I will do Ray's throttle mod for quicker more refined response, but I am interested in the relocation of the air sensor from the air box to the neck area? Is there a link to a post I could have please?
I already have the K&N air filter, my Cobra slip ons come in this week so I really am just trying to do things I feel are needed for my own taste...which is just a little better performance, sound and style. I also ride a 2006 Anniversary edition R1, so when I have the need for real power and speed, I just take old Bumblebee out for a ride...Vulcan Vella is for that cruising spirit and to relax and just ride and lose myself in my bike and this wonderful country of ours. HAPPY VETERANS DAY!! To all those vets here. I am proud to have served and fought by your side to preserve the American way!
Dont relocate the ATS on the stock bike. I did it to my 2011 Nomad and had problems being to rich especialy in high altitude. Bike had no power to climb hills. I also have a K&N filter. Also droped 4 mpg and got only 27 mpg in the black hills of SD.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
Dont relocate the ATS on the stock bike. I did it to my 2011 Nomad and had problems being to rich especialy in high altitude. Bike had no power to climb hills. I also have a K&N filter. Also droped 4 mpg and got only 27 mpg in the black hills of SD.
Was the drop in mileage due to the K&N or the ATS relocation? Sorry, got lost there
2006 Anniversary Edition R1 - Bumblebee
Never Understimate Willpower

Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRod View Post
Was the drop in mileage due to the K&N or the ATS relocation? Sorry, got lost there
No. I didn't have the K&N then. I just got the K&N. Mileage is back to normal with or without the K&N. Can't really tell any diferance in performance with the K&N. Just dont have to buy filters anymore.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
what mod are you talking about? And is this just for the Vaquero?

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 05-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
what mod are you talking about? And is this just for the Vaquero?
Apparently it can be done to all the Vulcan Baggers. Ray checked the part numbers of the throttle grip and they're all the same (1500 through 1700s)

It's a modification to the throttle cable track on the throttle tube of the grip. It increases the responsiveness of throttle movement, and gives the bike a better feel.

Here's another entire thread with more info and testimonies of Ray's work:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...t=throttle+mod
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Last edited by jestephens; 05-13-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY
I modify the throttle in such a way that throttle response is improved, removing a large percentage of throttle plate opening delay that Kawi has built into the fly-by-wire system.
I think it's just for the FBW ('09+) bikes. On the older bikes (1600s at least), you can just tighten the throttle cables. I have zero slack in my cables and the response is as crisp as it's going to be on a Nomad.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860