Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-26-2010, 02:24 AM   #1

Iron Butt

I will be attempting the Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 sometime this season I have thoroughly read through the website, especially the 20 tips section. End of May I'll be riding down to Orlando to visit some family and as a warm up. The longest day I've done non stop is 600mi and several in the 450-500mi range. At the end of those days I felt tired but still felt I could have kept going.

Has anyone attempted or successfully completed an Iron Butt challenge? Any tips/tricks I might not be considering. Anything I might not know to expect?
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #2

Iron Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallibiker
I will be attempting the Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 sometime this season I have thoroughly read through the website, especially the 20 tips section. End of May I'll be riding down to Orlando to visit some family and as a warm up. The longest day I've done non stop is 600mi and several in the 450-500mi range. At the end of those days I felt tired but still felt I could have kept going.

Has anyone attempted or successfully completed an Iron Butt challenge? Any tips/tricks I might not be considering. Anything I might not know to expect?
Thanks
A sore butt? ;)

Sorry...it was too easy..good luck!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Iron Butt

I have not sought out the Iron Butt certificate however I have put in several 800 and 1000 mile days. It is relatively easy when traveling alone or with someone like minded. Mine were solo. Up early grab coffee and burn through a tank of fuel. Grab a quick bite and hit the road. I drink those small energy drinks and take along water to stay hydrated. Small quick snaks.

Don't be afraid to stop for lunch and an evening sandwich. Just don't draw that out too long. You can spend 30 to 45 minutes and be perfectly rested to go again.

If you get tired later in the day stop in a rest area and grab a quick nap under a tree. 15 or 20 min catnap goes a very long way to recharge your battery.

Most people can't do that many miles in one day because they travel in groups and it is too hard to get everyone gathered up and on the road. That makes for long days with little forward progress.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #4

Iron Butt

A good place for advice on that is the Delphi Motorcycle Tourer's forum. It is dedicated to the long haul folks who basically live on their machines. Many of them are members of the IBA. You will find alot of tips there.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #5

Iron Butt

I echo what Idaho said. I've ridden numerous 900-1,000 mile days. Glorious rides. Enjoyed them all (Even the one where it rained most of the day.) Nomad handles it well. Haven't done an official Iron Butt because I don't see it as a big deal or want to mess with all the paperwork etc. 1,000 isn't that hard, especially if you are on interstate much of the way. Each time I cold have and would have gone farther, except I reached my destination. You'll love it and won't want to stop.

At 75 mph you only need 13 hours on the bike, so just start early so you get a full tank of gas ridden before breakfast, then take a minute to stretch and walk around a bit when you stop for gas. Be sure to start doing that right off...don't wait for aches to develop, keep them from developing. I always stop a few minutes for lunch too. Then some time late afternoon I have a cup of coffee at a gas station and eat a snack and cruise on until I decide to stop for the night or get where I am going.

AND......... take advil as a prophylactic. Take some before you start in the morning and again at noon.

I also agree it is easier solo or very small group. I prefer solo or just my son on his bike if I want to make miles. But it will be great. Enjoy the ride.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Iron Butt

Check out this thread. Some of the members from Florida did one of SS1000 rides recently.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=14781

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #7

Iron Butt

Utah did one last year.

I've never done an official one, but if I did, I'd be glad that I'm out west. We can go 75mph on two lane'rs in the middle of nowhere. Can stop and walk around without an exit, no traffic, little chance of meeting law enforcement, and great scenery.

When I've been on long rides like that, I've pulled over and put a jacket on the tank and leaned forward and had a quick nap. It seems to work well. Walking around is great, but actual sleep always works great for me. I can be very sleepy, take a 15 min nap, and be alert for many hours afterwords. Walking around only works for a little bit.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Iron Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
I can be very sleepy, take a 15 min nap, and be alert for many hours afterwords. Walking around only works for a little bit.
Actually, walking/physical exercise of some type, is important. It causes the body to synthesize the enzymes that are used in breaking ATP down into ADP and making energy accessible. Coffee (caffeine) prolongs the effective life of those enzymes.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #9

Iron Butt

Did one last spring. Here's the blog about it. If you have any specific question, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

http://utahmotorcyclist.blogspot.com...ay-4-2009.html
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #10

Iron Butt

I done thousand mile days in the truck or car many times,but my best on the bike has been only about 650. And that was going for an all day Sunday ride. If I ever have a purpose to go on a 1000 mile trip I wouldn't think twice about it. I would like to plan and prepare for it so Im ready for a long day in the saddle.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #11

Iron Butt

Did a 750 mile day could've gone longer. Agree with Advil or ibu. Stopping about every 100 miles seem to be better than waiting till you've burned a whole tank, even if you only get off to top the tank off. Once you get sore there's no going back. Stretching seems to work. Try to avoid cities if possible. If you have to go near a city try to time it avoiding busy times of the day. As stated by numerous Nad heads, traveling by yourself is easier. You don't have to worry about getting someone to saddle up. Night time driving always more tiring. Driving into the sun more tiring.

Stock seat. If so sheepskinmay be good. Reworking the seat could help.

Thought of something else.....pay for gas by credit card. Quicker in and out of gas station.

Most of all have fun.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Iron Butt

Did an 860 back in 2008 on a Honda VTX1300R and then the return trip of the same distance. Last year I did the same 860 and back but it was on the Nomad and it felt a lot better. All I had to show for my effort other than seeing my daughter and grand children was a sore butt as Al mentioned.

In the mid eighties I did two rides from Alabama out to Kansas and back. Also did a ride from Louisiana to Massachusetts but that was on a Goldwing and I was much younger then. Don't recall a sore butt then but I get it now.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Iron Butt

Coacha and I attended the Legends SS1000 in Jacksonville a few weeks ago. It was an in state ride that took us from Jacksonville - Daytona - Tampa - Ocala - Chiefland - Tallahasse - Pensacola - Tallahasse - Jacksonville. The ride took us 17 hours in 35 degree or below temps. When we finished I think we were more cold than tired.

Just make sure you plan your stops to be 10 - 15 min at most and keep going. Bring snack bars and water. If you do stop to eat make sure it's fast food.

Good luck.
KawaNOW #00454
IBA# 42214

2007 Nomad
2008 Concours

Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #14

Iron Butt

I did one on my 04 Volusia 800. We got on rt 90 in Sturbridge MA and rode out to OH then turned around and came back. 1040 miles in 18.5 hours. We made quick gas stops and 2 longer breaks (20-30 mins). Basically plan on 50-55 mph averages (with stops) if you are on the highway and less than that if you are not on the superslab. Most of our actual riding was at 75-80MPH indicated.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #15

Iron Butt

I've done two of them and plan to do a BB1500. If you would like to know anything, just PM me. Like Mike said, stops are important and be sure you ride your ride. Following the IBA tips are a good start. Good luck and ride safe.

http://coacha-ron.blogspot.com/ My ride report is here.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD