Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > West Coast "Rally In The Redwoods" - August 23-25, 2011

Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Top Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

As summer 2010 draws closer....we are all getting excited for the upcoming events that will bring us together again...the KawaNOW Regional Rallies! I will have the great pleasure to live large by attending two...both the SW and NW Rallies.

Always thinking ahead....I have let my mind wander to the summer of 2011 and what is in store for the members. It appears decided that the 2011 KawaNOW National Rally will be held in Deals Gap, NC.

I'm sure that Trip et al is well aware that having it in that location will effectively make it impossible for most West Coast members to participate...an unfortunate circumstance but hey....it's a big country and tough for everyone to do so. For me personally, it would mean a 5400 mile round trip ride... . You get the picture.... . I got to thinking that since a lot of members here on the West Coast will be unable to make the 2011 National Rally....we should have a seperate Rally on this side of the country for all the rest of us.

I'm thinking the SW, NW and even the Western Canadian groups could combine for one big Rally of our own. One possible site I have been considering is Baker City, OR. It is home to some of the great motorcycle roads in all of Oregon....including it's very own "Dragons Tail", Hells Canyon Rd....the 22 mile twisty along the Snake River from Oxbow Dam to Hells Canyon Dam. It's 44 miles round trip as it is one big dead-end....but it is right up the heart of Hells Canyon! Check it out on Google Earth and you will get the full scope of what I'm talking about.... !

I have no idea what we would call this rally....or what Trip and the staff think about the idea, which is why I am posing the question here. I just think it would be wise of us to provide an alternative event for those members not able to attend the National due to it's location. If we are trying to grow our membership, we should do all we can to encourage maximum participation where possible!

I am certainly willing to help organize it if the other RL's and ARL's from the other regions are up for it and willing to help. If there is not a lot of interest in a "West Coast" Rally....or if Trip has some objection for whatever reason....schoeney and I will probably just plan our own NW Regional Rally again next year.

I first want to know if there is staff support for such an alternative event....and second....to see if anyone has any other location suggestions that should be considered. I can say from previous experience that Hells Canyon is an incredibly impressive thing to see and ride, so would consider it near the top of any list we might come up with. That said....there are other locations that offer their own treasures to consider as well... . What do you guys think?

Cheers....Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
"West Coast" Rally 2011

This sounds OK Kris, and you're correct that the distance might be a deterrent for some of the west coast members. It's a place that many of us westerners might never get to unless we fly there. That's why I am going to do my very best to get there. Bro. member "midge" [Brian] are making a plan for a number of possibilities. We might take a month and continue down to Florida and home [some different way] or maybe trailer the bikes at least part of the way and hopefully leave the truck and trailer at another members house and continue the trip on two wheels. This will cut the travel time down considerably. Think about that! I mean how often do you think you'll get an opportunity to make a ride like that to attend a rally with your bro. members, some of which you already know and had such a great time with before, in Custer. If something big comes up where I just CAN'T do the trip, then I'd be all in favor of a simultaneously "national" rally, if you could call it that. Or a rally for those who don't want to, can't make the ride. But like I said, for me! I'm doing my damn best to get there. Rent a trailer and come along Kris!!! They have tequila on the east coast too. Maybe Trip or someone from the south will bring some good stuff up. ;)

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 04-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Top Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

Thats all good Ricky....but realistically....how many Westies are gonna be able to do that? I wish you the best in making it there, but even if we both did that....there are still lots of members on the left coast who could not, due to time, distance or both....make the trip :-/.

I'm only suggesting we consider doing something on this half of the continent as well....whether it be a Regional or "Combo Regional"....for those who can't make the journey to Deals Gap.
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
Top Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

Easy Kris,.....I was only suggesting more or less that I was going to do my best and how I might try and achieve making that trip. I was hoping to also plant a seed in some peoples heads that might think they CAN'T make it. [ I was actually hoping to encourage you ] Actually, I think my suggestion is very "realistic",... and yes,... depending on the persons time available it may or may not be doable. I guess if that's being "realistic" .......
I understand you are looking ahead and that's a good idea. If a person knows he or she can't, or doesn't want to make the sizable journey, then I suppose it's a good idea for them.
Like I said, if something comes up and makes it impossible for me to make the trip, then you'll see me at the west coast rally, if it happens to materialize. I wasn't trying to, nor did I mean to,... piss on your plan or offer, to organize a west coast "national" rally. My apologies if I offended you. I know you'll succeed in organizing something for those who can't make it. Sincerely, good on you. :)

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Top Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

Lol....no offense taken whatsoever Ricky.... :)....and I know what an exciting trip that would be. If I win the lottery between now and then....I will indeed make the trip....on a brand new bike even! I'm not suggesting a west coast "national".....as there can only be one real National Rally (Deals Gap, NC)....just an alternative gathering for those that can't make that trip.

I posted in here so that the RL's and ARL's could chime in and we could have this discussion....but they seem slow to catch this thread. I might just PM the SW guys and see what they think about combining forces for 2011. Looking ahead is always a good thing....especially for those of us tasked with leading the charge... !

In the meantime....I'm gonna enjoy the 2010 riding season for all it is worth as we have some great stuff ahead of us!

VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #6

"West Coast" Rally 2011

I have been keeping up on this thread and you both make good points. Still can't find where Deals Gap was finalized as the National Rally site for 2011. Can you or anyone help me out?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
Thats all good Ricky....but realistically....how many Westies are gonna be able to do that? I wish you the best in making it there, but even if we both did that....there are still lots of members on the left coast who could not, due to time, distance or both....make the trip :-/.

I'm only suggesting we consider doing something on this half of the continent as well....whether it be a Regional or "Combo Regional"....for those who can't make the journey to Deals Gap.
I am currently planning on making Deal's Gap. It means I will have to take 2 weeks off from work. I look at it as a "bucket list" kind of trip. However, one of my sons is getting married at the end of May 2011, and that complicates things for me.

I would support something in the western US, but make it more centralized, like maybe Reno or Jackson Hole. Anyplace but the freakin' desert...please!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
Mega-Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by "CHAINSAW"
I have been keeping up on this thread and you both make good points. Still can't find where Deals Gap was finalized as the National Rally site for 2011. Can you or anyone help me out?
I believe Trip said it would be in Deal's Gap.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Top Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

This what I found about Deals Gap being the place, Al.

OK...here's the latest on the KawaNOW National Rally for 2011.....

It will be held at Deal's Gap...probably will base out of Robbinsville, NC. Todd and Kawgirl have been put in charge of the Rally since they both live in North Carolina.

That location was chosen not only because it's got 318 curves in 11 miles, but also to try and ease the travel pains for those in the Eastern part of the US that couldn't attend the 2009 National. This will give all those in the Eastern part of the US an opportunity to attend.

Dates will be determined later, but count on it being in June of 2011.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009, 6:39am by Trip » Link to Post - Back to Top IP: Logged
[image]

Robert 'Trip' Hilliard
Lindale, Texas
robert@hilliard.ws
www.hilliard.ws
2005 Kawasaki Nomad "Ruby Earl"

KawaNOW #00001 - www.kawanow.org
Blue Knights XXXIV #59055 - www.blueknightstx34.org

[image]

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #10

"West Coast" Rally 2011

Deal's Gap is the location for the national rally coming up. I have talked with some of the other staff members and we all agree that we have no problem with side rallies the year of the national. I see that Kris clarified that the name will not include "national" in it so that's cool with the rest of us. In the beginning of the rallies, it was decided that regions would have rallies and those who could attend would. Later, it was discussed to have a national rally. During those discussions, it was brought up that not everyone will be able to make it no matter where we held it. At that point, the discussion came into play to move the national rally to different regions every other year so that eventually folks will have a chance to make a national rally at some point. I know beezer and those folks had a rally in the Finger Lakes area last summer because they couldn't make it to Custer. Plan away for a rally closer to your area. We have no problem with that at all.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #11

"West Coast" Rally 2011

This really has no easy answers, and being in the east it's not really my call for or against.
I assumed by having the national in the east in 2011 it would begin to flip flop back and forth each time in future years east - west.
Having said that I can understand how many of the guys in the west will not be able to, or chose not to attend the 2011 national.
May I just suggest that if you are going to hold an alternative rally, that you space the date out sufficiently far apart from the national that you do not compete with it. I can see the possibility of some playing with the idea of making the cross country trip to the national and then opting out for the closer rally. Also there are others who may be able to only afford, money wise or vacation time wise, etc one big event per year.
If in fact The idea is to flip flop the national back and forth east to west and it is every second year, then maybe on the off years a separate east and a separate west rally might be something to consider.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #12

"West Coast" Rally 2011

From what I can remember and gather from many posts and discussions on the issue, the national is every other year, with regional rallies being held in the off years. This year, as most know, all regions are having their own rally.

Last year, we had a mini rally in the southeast in April that allowed us to see our members there that could not make it to Custer. Being a lucky one that could make Custer, I got to see a ton of our members.

I fully understand the point of view of our western brothers and sisters. It was a 5+K ride for us from Florida to Custer and back (including the side trips). I'm not holding that up as a badge of honor, just saying I know what you are thinking about embarking on. If you don't have the time (we used 12 days total), it is difficult to even consider it.

You never know, if held in the right place and the right time, some of the eastern folk may head out that way too ;)
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
Top Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

Kris, I haven't piped in on this after your pm. I fully understand the thoughts of driving that far. Where I sit, Baker City is shy of 1100 miles and Deals Gap is around 1350 miles. Just about as close to dead even for me Who'd of thunk it living in Colorado. I can support holding a Western Regional Rally (SW, NW regions).
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
Top Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

I've read all the posts here and I want everyone to know that I am in no way suggesting that The NW grp. doesn't have a rally the same summer as the National. I was only hoping that more would consider taking the plunge and do their best to go to the National in Deals Gap,....IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Hell!! I might NEED to cancel the National, who knows, down the road. In which case I'd want to attend the NW grp. rally.
I suppose what I should have said is what Norn { CNC } said and that's,
...."that you space the date out sufficiently far apart from the national that you do not compete with it."
That's all. Oh ! and to try and get Mr Netnorski to join myself and others to come along with us to Deals Gap.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
Top Contributor

"West Coast" Rally 2011

Hey there Ricky and Kris, if you want a good mid-point stopping place, you could meet me at my house. ;)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16