Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

considering upgrading from a 900LT to 1700 nomad abs

Hello all,
i currently ride a 2006 900LT. this has been a very good and dependable bike for me. it has 48,000 miles and most of those road trips around the western U.S. the bike is stock except for Iso-grips, 2" Phat-risers, and a few holes drilled into the exhaust baffles for more sound. i enjoy this bike and it has not let me down. however, i am considering purchasing a new 2014 nomad ABS. i can get one for a little as $11K right now. the attractive features which i don't have on my 900 are electronic cruise, ABS, 6-speeds, hard lockable bags, and, of course, more power. the only thing i don't like on the 2014 is the paint scheme but i would have it custom painted.

having said that i am wondering about my happiness with the completely stock version of the 2014 nomad (with the exception of cosmetic or comfort changes) verses what i read in these and other forums: that is, the common propensity or desire and practice to "improve" the bike's performance (e.g. power, fuel mileage, response, etc) with intake and exhaust modifications, throttle mods and power commanders to name a few. i wonder how "necessary" and worthwhile these are to get the bike to where it "should be". i would guess that these modifications are not inexpensive and may not be for the "do-it-yourself-er". i generally do all my own mechanic work but not as confident with electronics.

i am sure there are plenty of you with experience with this bike to offer sound advise and/or education. i would simply like to KNOW MORE before i purchase.

are there some worthwhile mods that a guy really SHOULD DO to this bike?

i appreciate and thank you in advance for your help.

dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Top Contributor

The 2014 in stock mode is probably going to suit your needs.
The mods you speak of improve the "rideability" of the bike but try it stock first.
Try and test ride one to see if it is what you want.
I have ridden a 900 and the Nomad was a big improvement.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum, from Missouri. I'm not the one who can answer all those questions you have. Personally I leave a bike stock. As long as it can make the posted speed limits I'm a happy puppy. If I wanted performance I would be owning a Ducati Diavel. .

Old 10-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

900 to 1700 will be an awesome jump to start with not to mention the amenities you mentioned such as cruise and abs. If you modified your 900 exhaust you probably won't be happy with the stock 1700 sound and once you start tinkering it's a slippery slope. Easy answer...you'll love the upgrade...the part only you can answer...will you be happy with stock?

VBA Member # 02057

Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Coming from a 900lt myself to a 1500 nomad if you spend anytime at highway speeds that alone is enough of a reason to upgrade. If you like tinkering with your bikes you'll find plenty to do, but the 1700 is a great bike as is.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeeler65 View Post
Hello all,
i currently ride a 2006 900LT...

are there some worthwhile mods that a guy really SHOULD DO to this bike?

dave
Greetings Dave,

Welcome from Iowa!
Have not had the pleasure of riding a 900. Went from a 750 to 1500, then have had two 1700. Worth the upgrade --> . <-- (Period)

Two modifications you would want to do.
1st, the RacnRay throttle mod.
2nd, adding a manual, fan activation switch.
There are plenty of posts on both of these items. If you want more information, feel free to ask.

The sound mod is as previously stated a slippery slope. Air in needs to equal air out. Slip-ons, lead to BAK (Big Air Kit) which leads to a piggyback fuel processor. :)

These 1700s are impressive, reliable machines. Comfortable all day long, especially at cruising highway speeds.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 10-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I think many of the mods we do are because we can, and it's part of the sport/hobby for us. It's just the gear-head mentality that many of us have.

Are they necessary, no, it is a great bike stock. Does it make us happier when we do it. Yep.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #8

Actually I dont think that the Nomad needs the fan mod like the Voyager/Vaqueros do.

That said...your gonna want at least grips (RacinRay) and a seat...likely exhaust, unless you like the sound of a sewing machine.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #9

thank all of you for your response and help. with regard to the exhaust modification, to improve the sound... besides deciding between vance and hines vs. cobra exhaust, is a power commander needed to tune the bike properly? any other additions to the exhaust or intake side? do i need to change the air filter?

Old 10-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #10
Top Contributor

No Power Commander needed if you just change the mufflers.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

thanks again for all the responses. i researched the RACnRAY throttle mod and i will do that for sure. i want to change the grips anyhow (Kuryakyn Iso-grips). i would like to purchase some slip-on mufflers to improve the sound. the exhaust... (but i do not want it real loud). i realize it is personal taste and hopefully i can listen to Cobra vs V&H. if i get more power and better fuel economy with the slip-ons, well that is a bonus. but i definitely do not want the bike to sound like a "sewing machine". it is a bit too quiet now. i am used to more noise and better tone on my 900 with simply drilled out baffles. it actually sounds pretty good. but i don't really want to do that on this bike.

so to confirm, with slip-ons ONLY, i DO NOT need any fuel management system or other add-ons? what how about decel pops? will i have those to deal with? please forgive my being naive... i am learning... thanks again.