Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #16

my last bike had 147000 miles with a k&n ----it did not use any oil or have any engine related problems ----was well maintained over the 27 years I owned it ---- bought it new and nobody else ever rode it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #17

I had a K&N filter on my bike for over 7 years, and didn't feel that it harmed the motor in any way. It had 90,000 miles on it and ran great. I think its a personel preference whether you use one over the oem filter.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #18

I dont see the point. Another one of those put this on magical items will outrun space shuttle on takeoff

Old 08-26-2015, 02:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieago62 View Post
I dont see the point. Another one of those put this on magical items will outrun space shuttle on takeoff

The only real point is that you buy a K&N ONCE, whereas multiple oem filters can add up over the years. One thing is true, actual tests don't lie and K&N allow more dirt through than paper, period. Mama Kawi says oil changes every 12k or so, but most people I know don't push their oil past 6k or so. Maybe more frequent oil changes make up for the extra crap that the air filter lets through.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
The only real point is that you buy a K&N ONCE, whereas multiple oem filters can add up over the years. One thing is true, actual tests don't lie and K&N allow more dirt through than paper, period. Mama Kawi says oil changes every 12k or so, but most people I know don't push their oil past 6k or so. Maybe more frequent oil changes make up for the extra crap that the air filter lets through.

This is true. but if I wanted to save money I would have bought a 250cc bike lol and you are correct wipe bore under filter with white rag and see what gets past filter. Oil is another story dirt passng filter will wear rings and bore then pass (mostly) out exhaust. I change my oil every 3000 bike and truck. But this is a waist of $ too because I get tired and change trucks and bikes every 3-4 years

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #21

I pulled the K&N out of my bike and went back to stock. IMO any aftermarket high flow air filter isn't a filter at all, just trouble down the road.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Who keeps a bike long enough that the type of air and oil filter, and oil makes any difference ?

I always pamper my bikes and cars and someone else gets to benefit.

Last edited by redjay; 10-13-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #23

Well I had to see for myself!! I needed a new air filter anyway! The Kawi stock filter is $30. at my dealer. My buddy got me a new K&N for $48. because he's a dealer. I was real careful with the installation I even put a little sealing grease around the edges to help with sealing and alignment, this also helped with keeping the filter nicely flush against the box while I was putting the cover on, I did learn that you only need to snug the cover bolts carefully and not to over-tighten them. My thoughts after a 100 mile ride? so far so good! it could be just my imagination but the biked seemed to Rev a little faster with a little more mid range pull?? I plan on doing a observation by taking out the filter after a couple thousand miles and checking the inside of the air box for dust accumulation, maybe just wipe the inside with a paper towel just to see how its filtering, then I will decide if I should keep it in or not.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xcsp View Post
Just wondering about a K&N air filter for a 1700 Voyager, I have been reading allot of mixed reviews, the reviews that bothers me the most is regarding filtration, Does it really filter the air well enough not to cause long term engine damage over time? Does anyone have examples or proof that these filters really help improve performance on these bikes?
I ran a K&N filter for a few thousand miles. When I pulled the filter out I found dirt tracks around the corners on the top side. The side where the middle bolt is. The structure of the plastic frame work is soft. You can take your hands and bend it and it will stay bent. There is no way for the dog bowl cover to apply pressure to push these corner areas down to contact the sealing o-ring in the groove and hold it there. Try bending an OEM filter. You can't. So the dirt doesn't bypass in this area.

The filter media may pass dirt, but the soft frame of the filter is just a real poor engineering design. I put an OEM filter on. These K&N filters are a joke for the 1700.

I called their engineering dept. and they said the dog bowl cover was supposed to hold the filter in place. When I explained their mistake and the problem they didn't want to take it serious.

The OEM filter is built to a higher standard.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #25

Thanks for your input Snake Ranch! I understand what your saying, that's Bad! whats up with K&N tech support? I will double check mine soon.