Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #1

Forced off of I-55

Yesterday afternoon on our return trip, somewhere between Jackson and Brookhaven MS, my wife and I were forced off of the Interstate by an inattentive young lady in a Chevy Blazer SUV. I had been following her and the pickup truck in front of her for several miles at 65 mph. She had been following the pickup for so long I assumed they were traveling together. I decided to go around both vehicles and moved into the inside lane to pass them. I don't like staying in a possible blind spot very long so I rolled on the throttle to overtake both of them quickly. Just as we were directly even with her back door, she decided to pass the pickup truck in front of her. I saw her front tire cross the center line and continue to move over to my side, so I grabbed the horn and actually yelled at her while moving onto the blacktop shoulder. There wasn't much shoulder there because we were under an overpass and there were guard rails there to protect the concrete pilings supporting the overhead road. The shoulder was only 4 - 5 feet wide where she forced me off. She pulled back over to her side with a very startled look on her face. I continued passing both vehicles and pulled back over to the outside lane after doing so. She accelerated and came alongside me. I looked directly at her and she was appologizing for her mistake. I accepted the apology and continued on. I really expected her to be ranting and raving that somehow I was wrong and she was right. Not this time. She realized her error and told me she was sorry. Somehow, I felt better after she did so. If she would have continued moving over in my lane, I think my trailer, which is wider than the saddlebags, would have hit the railing and caused me to crash at 75 mph. I don't think that Darlene and I would have survived such a crash. I don't like posting things like this but I did so to remind everyone that we have to ride like we are invisible and presume that the others will do what we hope they won't do. Be careful everyone and count your blessings each time you arrive home in as good a shape as when you left.

PS - A Bad Boy or Stebel Horn is on the top of my accessory list and should be on everyones.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #2

Forced off of I-55

Sounds like your skill and good fortune saved the day, some people don't realize what their decisions impact on others in a split second.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #3

Forced off of I-55

Glad that it go any more sour. I'm never comfortable in the blind spot. Accelerating through it with one finger on the Stebel is the only way to go. A little less concerned when being overtaken since there is at least a better chance they've seen you.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #4

Forced off of I-55

Really glad it turned out well. That happened to a friend of mine from the lane to his right. He did get hit and I don't think he has ridden since.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Forced off of I-55

Glad to hear that it came out ok and she was at least sorry. Those things do happen even in a cage. It is amazing that there aren't more accidents. I bet she was alot more attentive after that for quite some time.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Forced off of I-55

I'm glad it didn't turn out any worse than it did. When you're on a bike, you have to think for everybody, not just for yourself.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Forced off of I-55

What? A careless driver here in Mississippi? I don't know about other states but I'm most surprised when I see a car or truck driver who doesn't have a cell phone glued to their ear or holding a cell phone on top of the steering wheel while texting. Many deaths can be blamed on those things. Jamie

Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #8

Forced off of I-55

That situation could have been real nasty. I will bet there was a cell phone involved. At least she admitted she was in the wrong. I too am not comfortable in blind spots, anywhere, anytime. Especially 18 wheelers. They scare the pants off of me. I also am uncomfortable being stuck in a middle lane of a multilane highway. I've seen too many near misses between cars when some inattentive idiot decides to change lanes on a whim. Glad your both ok.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #9

Forced off of I-55

I know that area well and it's usually less traffic and not much of a problem but it only takes one driver to screw up. It's a good thing you were observant and acted in time. Now if you were north of there in Jackson....you just have to be lucky to make it through there because those people will pull over on you on purpose. I think it's some kind of contest to see how many drivers they can piss off in a day. Glad to hear you made it through ok. I haven't had a close call with the trailer yet.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #10

Forced off of I-55

Zoom, I had went through Jackson about 1/2 hour earlier while it was raining. Plenty of traffic and several lanes scare the crap out of me. The inside of my throttle hand was bright red from squeezing the grip so tight. I couldn't see it but I'd bet the pucker was just as red.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #11

Forced off of I-55

If you can drive anywhere in or near Jackson then make it home safely you must be a good rider. Jackson scares me more than any other city I have riden in.
Zoom

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles