Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Gutted goatbelly

Hi, I just got back from a short 40 minute ride after installing a gutted goatbelly to go with the gutted mufflers that were on the bike yesterday. I do not like the gutted goatbelly ! It is coming off ASAP. I had a 2 hour ride yesterday, the second ride of the season. I had the new TFI installed, gutted mufflers and a K&N replacing the stocker. The bike ran great, the best its ever been.

Today with the gutted goatbelly added the exhaust sounded tinny and hollow. The performance in the mid range was off a little compared to yesterday. In full throttle (through the gears) performance I could not feel any change. I did not change the TFI settings from yesterday. I guess the back pressure from the ungutted goatbelly is helping with the performance. It certainly sounds better with the goatbelly unaltered.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #2

Gutted goatbelly

What year is that gutted goatbelly, and if you're gonna let it go, what do you want for it, including shipping cost? I might be interested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay
Hi, I just got back from a short 40 minute ride after installing a gutted goatbelly to go with the gutted mufflers that were on the bike yesterday. I do not like the gutted goatbelly ! It is coming off ASAP. I had a 2 hour ride yesterday, the second ride of the season. I had the new TFI installed, gutted mufflers and a K&N replacing the stocker. The bike ran great, the best its ever been.

Today with the gutted goatbelly added the exhaust sounded tinny and hollow. The performance in the mid range was off a little compared to yesterday. In full throttle (through the gears) performance I could not feel any change. I did not change the TFI settings from yesterday. I guess the back pressure from the ungutted goatbelly is helping with the performance. It certainly sounds better with the goatbelly unaltered.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #3

Gutted goatbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay

Did you leave the bafflle screens in the mufflers? or punch them out? I have the silencers only removed on mine... I have a Gutted GB in the shed I will try this year,, Thanks for the update..Rich

Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Gutted goatbelly

That goat belly is for fryin cheese burgers

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #5

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Gutted goatbelly

Thanks redjay, my thoughts are to leave the goat belly alone for the back pressure. I didn't want to cut mine up and find out I was better off the other way. I've found myself in that situation soooooooooo many times in my life ::)

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #6

Gutted goatbelly

There has to be more to your story. I have removed the silencers, poked through both baffles on each side, and gutted the goat. I don't hear a tinny sound from my exhausts. They sound good to me. What's missing here?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #7

Gutted goatbelly

Maybe you have a loose connection somewhere in the exhaust system. That would contribute to a tinny sound?????

Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Gutted goatbelly

Hi, nothing loose. I just dont like the sound with the goat belly and mufflers gutted. The gutted mufflers sound is okay. Both together I dont like the sound near as much. In my opinion gut the mufflers but leave the goatbelly alone. The performance also dropped off when I gutted the goatbelly.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #9

Gutted goatbelly

De-baffled mufflers, gutted goatbladder and stock replacement k&n filter here. Guess it depends on how the goatbladder was gutted, could effect the sound. I removed the whole wall inside the bladder not just the honeycomb section. Sound wise I thing the de-baffle did more for the sound than gutting the bladder. They do say you may loose a little torque by the loss of backpressure but the gain in throttle response is worth it.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Gutted goatbelly

Hi, It seemed to me the performance dropped off ever so slightly when the gutted goatbelly was added. That plus the change in sound made me decide to put the stocker back on tomorrow.