Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Oil Leak

I rode for the past two days about 200 miles total visiting customers for work.
Got off the bike today and noticed an oil leak seeping on the fin above the rear cylinder spark plug on the right side (Exhaust side) of the bike. May be seeping from under the chrome cover at the top of the motor. Looks like a pain getting that off. I am not afraid to wrench. Any ideas what to look for? I am hoping someone knows of a common easy fix. The bike is a 2000 FI 1500. I do not appear to be losing oil and the leak isn't enough to run or drip all over. It just seams to be a small seeping. Most of the riding was highway at about 75 mph for 25 miles or so at a time.
Thank you in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Oil Leak

seems like I have heard of a couple with oil leaks on the fins. i heard the chrome dumby valve covers cant be removed without lifting out the motor part ways(if I remember correctly). if its not something you can wrench then i suggest Lucas oil stabilzer especially if leak is real small. Good Luck.

Dennis

Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Oil Leak

....Your leak could be the rocker cover but is more likely the cam seal. It is often the culprit on many bikes. The cam seal can be seen (most of it anyway) in that spot hiding somewhat under the chrome valve cover. I would suggest cleaning up as much of the oil as you can, then try to pinpoint for sure that it is coming from there. There are temporary fixes for this seal that will buy some time for you, but eventually it will have to be replaced, and like Doc says, the engine will have to be at least lowered to get that valve cover off and access the seal. But first try to pinpoint the leak for sure. :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #4

Oil Leak

I agree with Lomax, its probably the cam seal, sometimes you can fix it for a while by cleaning it very well and then applying some good silicone seal around the edges of the rubber plug. Its worked for quite a few guys in the past , but its not a good permanent solution.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Oil Leak

Ouch... What makes this bad is the frame is in the way and you can't take the real valve covers off in the frame..

You can pull the tank and pull the chome covers up, and then clean under them somewhat, maybe even tighten a the valve cover here and there, but in any case smear a bar of Ivory soap on the leak.. if you need to make a think paste of it and paint it on with a brush.

Beats pulling the engine.

If you just can't stand that idea, you can sort of drop the engine. doing much of what you would do to pull the engine, but not all...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #6

Oil Leak

Mine was indeed the cam plugs, thought first it was the valve cover gaskets. Changed those out to find the leak was still there, more on the rear cycl than the front one.

So this time around (yr later), dropped the engine again and did the cam plugs.
Since the fix, high and dry for over 300 miles ;)

One thing to check is what side the leaks are coming from. If it the right side rear and the left side front. It will be the cam plugs as this is where they are located, chances of the gasket only leaking in these place is slim to none.

2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 04-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #7

Oil Leak

Thank you all. I feel like this will be a fix better left for the late fall. I am going to try to pinpoint the exact leak when this damn rain stops and might do the soap trick. I figure if it is only a seeping and not a leak, I can make it thru the riding months. Although it may be a pain to fix if it is the cam plugs, I look forward to the adventure.
By the way Mac, I took a ride up thru Tamworth last weekend (un-planned). Still looks like a few weeks before you lose all your snow. Spent a couple nights in Bartlett.

Thank you again to all that answered.
Mark

Old 04-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #8

Oil Leak

Is there a "how to" on dropping the motor enough to get to the cam seals? I may need to do this myself before too long.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 04-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Oil Leak

I tend to think of the vc gasket and the plugs as one thing.. oops....

yeah I still got snow, mud and a fresh crop of rocks fer sale.. Thars peepers in the aluvial pond right now too. (bastards)

I once lived in Bartlett, but moved south as i just couldn't take the winters

I have my doubts a Nomad would get in here just now, and I am not testing. You fer sure would need a pontoon kit to go with the 'prop shaft'.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #10

Oil Leak

Yeah Mac, we went down rte 113 for a bit. I love taking the long way. Sign said road flooded. We took the Toyota thru about 4-6" of water for a little while. I was thinking the same thing. Not sure the Nomad would like that.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Oil Leak

Rt 113 is screwy, all broken with alt routes so I have no idea where you were. I live off Rt 113 on Hollow Hill Rd, just south of the village. Off Rt 25 there is atleast 3 entrances to Rt 113, and any of therse can go under water at ice out.

The problem I have is the snow banks are melting quickly and were flooding the road into this place. I have the ditch running that water now for the most part, but melting water runs where it wants.

The good thing is this time the water ran where I mostly wanted it, so when things dry out if some fool doesn't rut it to hell it will be very nice for a dirt road.

I am curious about who you know in Bartlett, but I left there in 1990, and so probably don't know who ever it is you know. I have no friends there I am aware of anymore.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #12

Oil Leak

Mac
We took the wrong left on 113 at first. It headed us back toward rte 109. It was damn foggy and raining. Thats were we ran thru the flood. Next try we took the correct turn and drove right past your road.
No friends in Bartlett. My girlfriend took me away on a surprise weekend to a motel at Attitash to escape the kids for a weekend.
Next time up that way I hope to be on two wheels and do a meet and greet.
Mark

Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Oil Leak

Something to consider about rubber seals.

It's a well know "assumed" fact that using dino oil for a few years and then switching to synthetics has caused numerous engine seals to leak. This is because over time the dino oil allows the rubber to "cook" and harden over time. Synthetics don't overheat and cook seals the way dino oil can.

I cam home the first day I bought my nomad after hauling butt for 30 miles and dumped the oil and filter and have ran synthetics since. If you've never ran synthetics and you have 20K or more on your odometer, stick with dino..... I've seen this too many times. I've seen some cars that have never leaked for 80k and the owner switch to full synthetic and they leak like a seive...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #14

Oil Leak

BD
I have just turned 19000 miles and swapped to the Rotella T. No leaks prior yet leaking now.
Any clue if maybe swapping back is an option or is it too late?
Makes sense I guess. The previous owner had it 7 years for 5000 miles. I have it 2 years and just swapped to Synthetic 300 miles ago. Almost 14000 miles on dino oil no issue till now.
Kinda wish I read about problems before this. I read almost every one of the 200 oil threads on this site. Didn't remember seeing anything. Then again my brain ain't what it used to be.
May just be the seals were getting tired from so little use before me buying it.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Oil Leak

you might be ok, I'd sure as heck try it. Might even want to buy a small quanity of those products that help "swell" rubber seals for a while to see if it works, but I'm just guessin' Damark

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005