Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #16

Cam chain extenders....

Got mine from Chuckster on here (Joe Norris)

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #17

Cam chain extenders....

Trip,
I have them available when ever you are ready for a set, started making these after I was asked by Gadget because of (Snake's) passing.
These are not bad to install as mentioned, the front jug is abit harder but I know you can do it.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/cc_tensioner.htm

2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Cam chain extenders....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131
Trip,
I have them available when ever you are ready for a set, started making these after I was asked by Gadget because of (Snake's) passing.
These are not bad to install as mentioned, the front jug is abit harder but I know you can do it.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/cc_tensioner.htm
I am also interested in getting a set. Can you tell me what the cost and shipping would be to Huntsville, TX?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #19
VBA Founder

Cam chain extenders....

Well, I've decided to trailer my Nomad to Paul Zabor in Austin and have him check out my cam tensioners to see if they need extenders or not. He's also going to mount and balance my new Avon Cobra tires (front and back) and lub the swingarm while he's got the back tire off.

I talked to Paul Zabor yesterday about it and have everything lined up. I'll take my Nomad to him next Friday and pick it up on Saturday. My wife and I are going to make it a "weekend" in Austin while there. If, for some reason, Paul has to keep it longer than Saturday, I'll just go back the following weekend and pick it up.

When it comes to my engine, I don't really feel like fooling around, so I've decided to have it checked out by Zabor. I know it may be a little trouble taking it down to Austin, TX, but I feel I can have some peace of mind when I get it back. I tried taking it to my local Kawa dealer a few months ago. But all they did was listen to it and told me I didn't need extenders. A lot of good that diagnosis will do me if I grind a hole in my spark plug tubes while riding in South Dakota. Plus, even tho I may be a webmaster and IT guy....a mechanic I am not. So, I don't really trust myself checking out my tensioners.

Received my Avon Cobra's this morning. Ordered them through Sporttour.com as CJ suggested. Ordered them this past monday and received them by Fedex today (Saturday). I ordered 150/80VR-16 for the front and 180/70HR-16 for the back. Can't wait to try them out on the curves.

Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #20

Cam chain extenders....

Trip, let us know if you need anything while you are here in Austin.

I pulled out both my spark plug buckets and checked them for wear from the chain. No sign of any rubbing at all so I'm holding off for a while.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #21

Cam chain extenders....

They are 25.00 shipped and I have paypal or send a check in the mail.
Email me chuckster1_31@comcast.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo
[
I am also interested in getting a set. Can you tell me what the cost and shipping would be to Huntsville, TX?[/quote]
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #22
VBA Founder

Cam chain extenders....

Thanks McDaddy. And thanks to Chuckster for providing the extenders for everyone.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 03-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #23

Cam chain extenders....

My wife's Nomad has 30,000 mile and my Nomad has 46000 mile. I removed the spark plug tube's today on both to have a look-see and the tube's were good. I think I'll pull the tubes at each oil change to have a look for scaring without I hear a different sound coming from those areas.
VBA #146

Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #24
VBA Founder

Cam chain extenders....

How are you pulling the tubes, Jim? I might start doing that.
Trip's Website

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #25

Cam chain extenders....

There are two tubes that are removable where cam chains are located. One on the left front plug hole and one on the right rear plug hole. I had to make a tool to fit the hex hole of the spark plug tube (the grip area of the tubes are only about/maybe 1/4" deep). I used two bolts with a hex head that would fit the hex in the spark plug tube. The Hex head bolt needs to fit into a
1 1/16" socket (for correct sizing). I connected the threaded ends of the two bolts with a nut (tightly). I have a table belt sander that I used to square off the top of the head of one end of the two connected bolts (to remove the taper on the head of the bolt). The contraption fit right into the spark plug tube. I removed the spark plug. I put the bolt head in to the hex hole of the spark plug tube and used a 1 1/16th socket with ratchet on the other end. The tubes are not very tight. I removed the tube, looked it over, looked the inside of the tube hole over with a light (it may not mean any thing but the cam chain was a good distance from the tube and it seemed to have a lot of tension "hardly any slack"). Upon inspecting the tube, don't be alarmed by an area where it appears the tubes were probably manufactured, they were probably cast in groups of four or more and there is an area where they were probably connected (called a biscuit) that had been trimmed (its shinier than the rest of the tube area, about 1 1/4 long).
I screwed the tube back in , used a torque wrench to tighten (104 inch pounds or 8.7 foot pounds)
I hope this makes sense. ??? It was very easy to do. The hardest part was making the tool (the reason I say that was because I only had bolts with 1 1/8th" head and had to grind them down to fit into a 1 1/16th" socket).
Keep in mind that I'm not a gearhead, I just do things by the seat of my pants.
I read somewhere about how to do this, but I don't remember where. I Thought it was on Gadget's page, but couldn't find it. I probably Googled it.
VBA #146

Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #26
VBA Founder

Cam chain extenders....

Thanks Jim.......
Trip's Website

Old 04-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #27
VBA Founder

Cam chain extenders....

I thought I'd report back about my cam chain extenders.......

I took my Nomad to Austin TX on April 3rd. Took it to Paul Zabor's Motorcycle Repair. Paul did an excellent job checking the cam chains out for me. He told me that the extenders were needed, so I left my Nomad for the week. Picked it back up today, April 11th.

When I arrived today to pick it up, he told me to go outside and start it up and see if I could tell any difference. When I started it, it sounded like a whole new engine. No rattle or chain ratching sound. I could actually hear the pipes over the engine. Installing the extenders made a big difference.

While I had it there, Paul also installed new Avon Cobra Tires, front and rear and replaced the rear brake pads for me. His charge was priced right and he answered all my dumb questions.

So, I've got my Nomad back in excellent shape and am a happy camper. For me, it was worth the 250 mile drive, twice...to get my Nomad worked on properly and for a good price.

Oh and BTW, the extenders came from our own Chuckster131 (Joe Norris). Thanks Joe!

As an addendum to this story......many people have asked me why I took my Nomad to Austin, instead of taking it to the kawa dealer in Tyler.

Three months ago, I took my bike to my local Kawa dealer and asked them about installing extenders. The service manager walked outside and started up my Nomad, listened for a minute and said, "You don't need 'em". I wanted him to actually check them, so at my insistence, he took the rear cam chain adjuster out and reiterated what he previously said, "You don't need 'em". I even offered to pay to have it done. He said I didn't need them.......so, I then called a local motorcycle shop that works on all makes of motorcycles. The owner of the shop referred me to his Kawasaki mechanic. I asked him about checking my cam chain adjusters to see if I possibly needed extenders and he said, "Huh"? "I suggest you take it to the Kawa dealer".

So, there you have it.....the full reason why I drove it 250 miles to have the work done so that I can have peace of mind.

Trip's Website

Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #28

Cam chain extenders....

Paul does do good work. Guess that's why he has been in business for years and always has a ton of work. Quality work at a fair price.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #29

Cam chain extenders....

I just looked at the diameter of the tips on the ratchet rod, went to OSH and found a brass fitting that is used for a kitchen sink faucet, and pressed it in, it added about 1/2 of an inch in length, but be careful though, you want to make sure that thing is really tight on the rod, otherwise if it falls off, you are doomed, my advise, call chuckster at the gadget website. he has them for 25.00 a set, if my memory serves me well.