Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #1

Using a "rear" tire on the front wheel

I had my bike (VN1600 Nomad) inspected this morning. They passed it, but said I needed a front tire real soon. I expected it, but thought I might get another 1,000 miles out of it. Decided that while I was there, I might as well get a new tire installed. I'm not that picky, although one of these days if I have the money, I'd like to try a "matched set" of Avon Cobras and have them put on at the same time.

I have a Dunlop D251 (180/70R 16) on the rear. The dealer checked what he had in stock and came up with a Metzeler which was OK by me. I didn't think of asking what model but said go ahead and install it. Turns out to be a Metzeler Metronic ME55A (150/80VB 16). When I looked the tire up on the web, it is specified as a Rear tire.

What do you think about using this on the front? Driving it home the 10 or so miles home, and in the rain no less, it felt fine. Of course, it seems an omen, that it rained, since it was raining last year when I had the rear tire replaced.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I think I would be getting back to the dealer ASAP and asking why he put a rear tire on the front. I have never heard of a Metzeler Metronic mentioned on any forum.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #3

I have heard that a rear tire can be installed on the front, as long as it is installed with the direction pointer going the wrong way. I have no idea why that is, but that is what I read. I guess the rear is supposed to last longer than a true front tire so that is why some people do it.

That being said, I agree with redjay, head back to the dealer and have a talk with them, they should not do that unless you give some sort of consent.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

It is fine, but the arrow should face the wrong way for rotation to disperse water better.

Now if the arrow does face the rotation it isn't that big of a deal unless you ride in rain more often than not. If you lived where I do you don't ride unless you ride in rain...

So liking to be dry I ride faster in rain that I do on dry pavement. No else will ride with me in rain either and it's no joke.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #5

I wouldn't recomend it, but if its already done and installed Its not the end of the world either. If it was on a high performance sportbike it may be a different story, but on our Vulcans I don't think they are ridden hard enough to be a handling problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the responses.

I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to find out why he didn't advise me and get my permission to put it on. If I was told, I probably would have told him to order me a tire and come back to have it installed. But, finding out that it is not unheard of is reassuring. I'll check for the rotation arrow to see if they "knew" what they were doing. If it isn't "reversed", at the very least, I'll tell him to remount it and walk away. If he gives me grief, I'll dispute it and tell AMEX that I'm disputing the work with the dealer. That WILL get his attention and cooperation.

I took it out later in the day when it stopped raining. It felt fine. Of course, with a new tire and damp road, I wasn't about to push to envelope and see how it was on curves at speed. I have a few places on the parkways here, where I can get it up to 60 - 70 mph and lean it through wide curves like an 800lb sport bike. Again, I'll take it up there in stages if it feels OK. But even that isn't extreme like a sport bike.

I guess with the way the world has become so litigious, almost all sources of knowledgeable information from the industry have to be careful and it ends up that you can't get a practical answer. I'm not worried about the tire failing on the front. My concern is that it will perform correctly in curves and more importantly under extreme braking (something I pray we all never need to do, but know how to do).

Update: I went outside and looked at the rotation arrow. It is NOT reversed! Guess they didn't really know what they were doing. Will see what they say.

Mac, thanks for the PM response. I don't ride in the rain all that much, seems like just when I go to the dealer LOL... The tire should be fine, so I will try to get my moneys worth and have him make it right.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Hi, If your rear tire is anywhere near close to replacement get him to put on 2 Avon Cobras. Well worth the extra money.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #8

I don't understand the arrow thing????? Both the front and rear tire spin in the same direction. If you mount the tire opposite the direction, depending on the tread, will actually draw water in towards the center of the tire, causing a hydroplaning situation..... As long as the size is correct, I don't see what the big deal is?????

Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #9

I wish that the rear was near replacement. It is still good for this season. Avon Cobras are my next set once the Rear wears out.

Meanwhile, I spoke to the dealer this morning and got the "gosh, I didn't see that and neither did the mechanic". I told him to make it right, get me the matching Dunlop D251 Front tire, which he is doing.

I don't get out to ride during the week and will get it changed out next Saturday.

I all for being practical, but will feel better since the rear is a radial and what he put on was bias ply, never mind it being a rear tire and all those other details.

This is what is great about Kawanow, everyone is quick to help with good information.

Thank you all!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #10

To all:
the main reason you DO NOT want to ever install a rear tire on the front is because of the way tires are wound, there is no "one piece" donut rubber that can be converted on to a tire, although invisible to the eye, there is an overlap on the rubber, which has been engineered to work with the braking system and the rotation of the tire, thus the marking on the tires indicating "rotation" and the amount of force that is apllied to the fron tire say at 75 miles per hour X 1000 lbs or so in theory it can de-laminate the overlaping rubber compound, rendering an explosive tire up front, not a great idea eh?

Jesus.