Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

2001 1550 Classic fuel cock replacement

It's been a tough summer. Had an intermittent fuel pump issue that turned into about a 3 week and two tows issue to fix. Then my right turn signal just broke off the fork as I was riding home from the shop. I taped them up until I could get the new ones shipped to me, but I kept smelling gas when I parked in the garage. I chalked it up to a full tank, since I usually fill the tank on my way home from a ride. It was a pretty day today and I walked into the garage to find a pool of gas on the floor, and my left floorboard full of gas. I found the leak, the fuel cock was leaking from behind the selector valve. Of course I had a full tank of gas to siphon out first, but got the fuel cock removed and am waiting for the replacement part to arrive in a couple of days. (Many thanks to the nice folks at the Kawasaki dealership in Ozark. Ala). My question is whether or not there is any need for a gasket of sealant between the fuel cock and the bottom of the tank? There wasn't one when I removed it, but thought I would check and see for sure.
I've only had this bike for about 3 years and put about 5K miles on it. It has 45K on it now, and I really like it, but...... It is getting to the point that I am seriously considering looking at the same model 8-10 years newer. It doesn't make sense to keep pouring money into a ride with a small valve knock and who knows how many more miles before a big ticket item makes the bike not worth repairing.....
Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by skyryder; 09-29-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #2

Partzilla is my preferred parts supplier, and their microfiche shows an O-ring in there... 92055 RING-O,FUEL TAP PACKING 92055-1112 In Stock $4.01.

Not a significant pour at that price, I'd suggest?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel tap O-ring.jpg (19.7 KB, 5 views)

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 09-30-2020 at 12:28 AM.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Partzilla is my preferred parts supplier, and their microfiche shows an O-ring in there... 92055 RING-O,FUEL TAP PACKING 92055-1112 In Stock $4.01.

Not a significant pour at that price, I'd suggest?
Thanks Peg,
I'd agree, it is not significant price. I was mostly just whining about losing three or four good riding days waiting for the part, since I have endured the Florida heat for months now........still thinking about the upgrade though....

Old 09-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyryder View Post
Thanks Peg,
........still thinking about the upgrade though....
I upgraded myself a few years ago, from an '02 Nomad to a '10 Voyager, so I know the feeling well, and certainly wouldn't fault you for it. I loved that Nomad, but the Voyager is a very able improvement. I certainly wouldn't buy another touring bike without it having cruise control.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)