Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #1

Any ideas where this coolant is coming from?

Hello all. Took my Nomad out for a ride last night and when I went out this morning to do an end of the year oil change on her before storing her for the Winter, I found this. I don't see any wet spots or signs of leaking above the splatter anywhere. I just flushed and filled the coolant mid Summer this year and have had the bike for 5 years with zero issues. I let her idle after finding this until the fan kicked on and off 4 times and everything seems to be working perfectly and there is still coolant in the reservoir, although it is no longer to the full line. I wash and check over my bike constantly and have never noticed any leaking of any kind before. Is it possible that this isn't coolant? Sure looks the same color as the Honda coolant I filled her with. Any ideas where this splatter my have come from?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201024_122726.jpg (94.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20201024_122719.jpg (95.3 KB, 27 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
Top Contributor

See this post.
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=49540

Could be something as simple as a loose hose, as someone suggested.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtascone View Post
Hello all. Took my Nomad out for a ride last night and when I went out this morning to do an end of the year oil change on her before storing her for the Winter, I found this. I don't see any wet spots or signs of leaking above the splatter anywhere. I just flushed and filled the coolant mid Summer this year and have had the bike for 5 years with zero issues. I let her idle after finding this until the fan kicked on and off 4 times and everything seems to be working perfectly and there is still coolant in the reservoir, although it is no longer to the full line. I wash and check over my bike constantly and have never noticed any leaking of any kind before. Is it possible that this isn't coolant? Sure looks the same color as the Honda coolant I filled her with. Any ideas where this splatter my have come from?
Looks to me like a gasket is seeping, hose loose or the bleed screw is seeping, headed to that low point where that 1 bolt is before draining down the cover. I have seen porosity and cracks along that water pump cover. Clean it really well, inspect it good, put on new gaskets, use a little vht silicone or yamabond....all should be leak free....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 10-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I cleaned it all off, and just took it for a 20 mile spin. Not a drop anywhere when I got back. I'm gonna go check it again after everything cools down. I'm gonna replace that hose and and housing gasket just in case as was suggested. Thanks again!

Old 10-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

By the way, if it is the bleed screw seeping, what would cause that and what is the fix?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtascone View Post
By the way, if it is the bleed screw seeping, what would cause that and what is the fix?
Theres a small hole that goes from the impellar area, to the 1 bolt hole....
Now, it seeping could be a loose bolt, a crack thru the housing thru the bleed hole. Or, put a small copper crush washer under it....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI